• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging for Chocolates

RuthWells

I know this question gets asked frequently, and I've done my research, but I can't believe that I can't find a less expensive option for packaging to hold 2 truffle-sized bonbons.  The two options I liked (from Nashville Wraps and BoxandWrap) come to over $1.60 each when factoring in shipping.  There is no way to price them at that cost.  Am I missing some options out there?

Are you looking for cardboard boxes or are plastic ok?  Glerup-revere has a variety of clear boxes, I like the low profile ones, they fit my smaller bonbons without too much extra room on top. Though since I'm local I pick mine up at will call so I'm not sure how their shipping rates are. 

Papermart.com has (relatively) low prices.  This truffle box is a rigid box, quite substantial (I have used this same box in other sizes) and is priced at 40 cents per piece (not including shipping).  In general, as you already have discovered,  boxes are quite expensive.  $2 a box is not at all unusual for containers holding about 6 pieces.  Folding boxes are less expensive than the rigid (already set up) ones.  But, in my opinion, the presentation of your product makes a big difference, and I think you should get the best-looking box you can afford.  One other piece of unsolicited advice:  If you find boxes you really like, stock up on them because they go in and out of availability often (I was surprised at the huge delays in shipments from China--the source of most stock boxes--caused by last year's dock strike on the West Coast).

You guys are the best!  I had completely forgotten about Glerup/Revere, PastryGirl, I'm gonna have fun looking through their options.

I definitely want clear boxes; Kerry, here are the two options I was looking at:

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/candy-boxes/clear-truffle-boxes/sku-fc23abr.html

http://www.boxandwrap.com/candy-boxes-gold-artisan.html

Jim, I have purchased my other (larger) packaging at Papermart and I generally like them a lot.  I just wish they had a 2-truffle version of their PET box with the gold bottom; that would be perfect.  And thanks for the tip on availability.  I'm really just a hobbyist who is selling a little on the side at this point and trying to keep my price point low, so not (yet) splurging on the gorgeous boxes....

Edited: Oh dear, Glerup has a $50 minimum and is on the opposite coast from me.  Curses!!!

Edited by RuthWells (log)

I hear ya, Ruth. It is so difficult finding that perfect fit with packaging, pricing and shipping.  These are some of the options I used, (before the house/shop burned down):

Sweet Packaging has some 2 part boxes with the acetate lids. They will hold two fairly large pieces. You can get cavity inserts for them as well. Might be a little more pricey, but honestly, I cannot recall what I paid for those. I know they give volume discounts, though. 

The cardboard, one-piece folding boxes at Nashville Wraps are only about .29cents each. If you build it into a large order, you can get free shipping. This one...http://www.nashvillewraps.com/candy-boxes/clear-truffle-boxes/sku-fc23abr.html  is less than a dollar per box, and has a clear lid.  If you can build a large order ($300 +), shipping is free.   A couple times a year, when there is a big sale, I order all the Christmas packaging I can, along with the gift bags, ribbons, fibre tissue, etc. I don't have to do it often, and to get that free shipping is such a bonus! 

I like alot of the ASB boxes, but, the shipping costs end up being 1/3 -1/2 of the purchase price. The only way to break even with that company is to buy the clearance items when they hit 40 or 50% off.  I cannot figure out why they don't do it the way Nashville Wraps does it. They'd probably get tons more business. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

29 minutes ago, RuthWells said:

You guys are the best!  I had completely forgotten about Glerup/Revere, PastryGirl, I'm gonna have fun looking through their options.

Edited: Oh dear, Glerup has a $50 minimum and is on the opposite coast from me.  Curses!!!

How many do you need?  I'm not home at the moment but I'm pretty sure I have a bundle of the two piece boxes. I could send you a few for cost plus shipping. 

Oh my goodness, ChocoMom, I'm so sorry to hear about your fire.  How devastating.  I hope there were no injuries.

I love that box from Nashville Wraps, but with shipping it's over $1.60 per piece, and I'm not doing the kind of volume that would justify a $300+ order, unfortunately.

Sweet Packaging certainly has some reasonable options, thanks for that tip!!

PastryGirl, that is INCREDIBLY generous of you.  We're test-marketing at my local coffee shop and I was prepared to buy 25 or so to get started, but if you can spare even a few, that would be such a boon.  Hopefully things will go well enough to justify a $50 minimum order soon!

• 3 years later...

What kind of boxes do people use to package non-standard molded bonbons? Specifically the longer ones like the cacao pod, teardrop or "slug". I bought molds that I love but they dont fit in the standard paper cups or trays and Im struggling to figure out how to package them. I'm just getting started with my chocolate business so I'm not at the point where I am ready to invest in custom packaging. I bought some boxes that I like from ClearBags and am planning to add a branded label but I dont think they're secure enough. My chocolates will shift all around if given the chance. Any advice would be great.

20190202_162212.jpg

6 hours ago, Beckykp27 said:

What kind of boxes do people use to package non-standard molded bonbons? Specifically the longer ones like the cacao pod, teardrop or "slug". I bought molds that I love but they dont fit in the standard paper cups or trays and Im struggling to figure out how to package them. I'm just getting started with my chocolate business so I'm not at the point where I am ready to invest in custom packaging. I bought some boxes that I like from ClearBags and am planning to add a branded label but I dont think they're secure enough. My chocolates will shift all around if given the chance. Any advice would be great.

You have encountered one of the many difficulties with packaging chocolates, the vastly differing sizes and shapes of molds. Many producers stick to one type and size of mold (such as half-spheres or domes), so they eliminate this issue. I have a large variety of molds, including the cacao pod you list, as well as the "quenelle" and recently a small half-egg. I have been using stock trays to hold them, but the cavities in those trays were too small to accommodate my larger molds (such as the Chocolate World pyramid) and too large for the others I listed. Finally I couldn't stand the issue any longer and had custom trays made. The cavities are 1.5" x 1.5", and so every shape I make now fits. The cacao pods and the eggs have to go in diagonally, but they fit. Essentially, except for things like wedding favors, I have stopped using the very small molds (such as the Chocolate World magnetic cube, which I like very much, but which just "bounces around" in a typical cavity). Stock trays seem to have cavities in two sizes:  something like 1" or something closer to 1.75" (often labeled for turtles or nut clusters), and most chocolatiers appear to go for the smaller size. Another option is to use foil/paper cups to hold the chocolates plus boxes into which they fit. This option is more flexible, but then there is the issue of making certain chocolate shapes fit into the cups (such as the pyramid mentioned above). And again, cups are made only in certain sizes (the #4 and #5 are the most prevalent).

• Thanks 1

My custom trays were made by FormTight in Denver. Why so far away from Virginia? Because, after extensive searching and inquiring, this was the only company I would find that would manufacture "small" quantities (quotes because I still had to buy more than I will ever use). They were very, very expensive (it's the tooling that will kill you). I count it as a splurge for the sake of the chocolates.

• Like 3