• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malt extract - what to do with it?

Ava

I really love the taste of malt and recently finally got some malt extract - Rayners, it's liquid/syrup rather than powdered - but to my great disappointment it doesn't seem to work well for me. I've tried using it in a milkshake and hot chocolate, and both times it barely added any sweetness or malty flavour even after adding more and more.

So firstly: did I get the wrong thing? All the recipes I see for milkshakes, for example, actually use a powder. Other than needing more I don't see why there should be a difference.

Secondly, if it isn't going to work for my purposes (milkshakes, ice-cream, etc) what can I use it for instead?

P.S. This forum seemed like the best fit for my topic, but sorry if it's the wrong one.

I think you want the malt powder for your purposes.  

Malt syrup can be used to boil bagels, I use a little in couple of bread recipes that I have. 

• Like 4

Malt cookies My family recipe always included raisins - both raisins and malt syrup burn rather easily, but the result is worth the worry! They are usually very crisp, but should not be crumbly. These are not malt thins - the recipe is a melt and mix soda-raised cookie.

1.5 cups of flour = about 7.5 oz., because a NZ standard cup is 250 mls or 8 oz. However, although NZ "plain" flour is a lowish protein flour intended for baking cakes or cookies, the protein level is probably lower than a similar American flour, so you may need less flour than the recipe states.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll try it again in a milkshake (but a lot more) and an ice cream recipe I've been meaning to try, and other than that will probably save it for baking. It might be nice in my rye bread recipe :)

I can't stand beer, unfortunately, so can't use it for that.  Good idea though.

Oh, and adding it to mashed potatoes definitely sounds interesting, I'll give that a go!

Edited by Ava (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I use powdered malt to make molecular mashed potatoes. I wonder how it will work in them? The ratio i follow for powder is 1 malt : 100 potato by weight. Not sure what to do with liquid though. Not sure how to convert. Try it and let every one know! 

We're planning to add some malt powder to the next bread we make.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten around to trying it out in mashed potatoes yet, but will update when I do :)

Good news is, I managed to use it to make David Lebovitz's malted milk ice cream. I used the conversion here:

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/1348/what-is-the-conversion-rate-between-dry-malt-extract-dme-and-liquid-malt-extra

It seemed to work well :) Had a nice malty flavour. Admittedly I did use muscovado sugar rather than white (I always do) so I don't think the flavour came through as well as it otherwise could have. Hopefully though, I can use the same conversion and use it for other recipes too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Since we are talking about malt here, I recently purchased some malt powder which is described as " Malt Powder, aka Malted Milk Powder, is perfect for making old fashioned milkshakes. Also great in homemade ice creams, cookie doughs, cake batters, and more."  I used a 1/4 cup per 1.5 cups of flour as per a King Arthur pancake recipe.  I thought they would have great malt flavor, but they didn't seem any different than any other pancakes I've made with sugar.  I am wondering if that was a less than ideal use for it or if, perhaps, I have less than ideal malt powder.  Of course I could just have less than ideal taste buds that can't appreciate the nuance of it.

It's good just used as a syrup. I eat it occasionally on homemade bread, instead of molasses. 

Both are old-school tastes acquired from my parents. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have plans to make a malt loaf from Crumb by Ruby Tandoh.  I am looking to recapture a memory and so far have not been highly successful. Since Ruby is British I'm hoping she has the magic key.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog