• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes that Rock: 2016

Anna N

For quite a number of years we had a topic where we shared recipes we had tried that had really impressed us. I do not see one for last year but I thought it was time we revived this interesting idea.  My first offering hardly qualifies as a recipe and yet I know it will be almost a staple in my house.  I found the idea on The Kitchn. Called "ginger butter", it is nothing more than fresh ginger mixed with softened butter and used as a spread. The possibilities seem to me to be endless.  The suggested ratio is 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to 4 tablespoons of soft butter.   Those who love ginger will be adjusting this ratio upwards!  

image.thumb.jpeg.f78c972635354324bae80fe

Spread generously on a toasted English muffin it brings a note of sophistication to something very simple. Can you think of other places where ginger butter would raise the ante?

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm thinking that ginger butter would probably be pretty amazing spread all over this piece of banana bread I'm eating right now.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I make ginger butter quite a bit. I use it to caramelise prawns or chicken (usually adding fish sauce and white pepper to the pan) or spread it on scones and smeared with honey. I also put some on steak just after it's cooked, and let it melt into a gingery puddle (usually with fish sauce, again.)

I also make a green onion/ginger butter that you can see here, smeared on the tops of Chinese meat pies I made, and sprinkled with ground red chilli.

image.jpg.56e238d11d86f5efa5e44312a2048b
Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 14

• 5 months later...

This seeded quick bread has made a wonderful addition to our household eating.  So easy, so quick, so delicious...and so heavy...exactly what DH wants in bread and is so hard to find anymore.   And it doesn't call for yeast or kneading or rising or forming and is right up my lazy know-nothing alley.  The recipe is Seeded Quick Bread in The Clueless Baker, Key Porter, 2001.  I'd put in the author, but I can't remember her eGullet name and I know she would not appreciate my naming her publicly.

Recipe is terrific.  I'll share with anyone who is interested.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Her book was revised and re-issued in 2013. Would be interesting to know if the recipe you like is in the new edition. 

@Nyleve Baar

did the seeded quick bread mentioned above make it into the revised version?  I ask because the latest edition is available for Kindle. Thanks. Anna N. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello! Well isn't this a fine howdydoo? Funny enough I don't know which recipe you're talking about (Darienne). Is it the Beer Bread (with seeds as suggested as an optional ingredient)? Permission granted to include recipe here, if you want to share.

This is so funny to be outed here. I have no problem with that - not worried about paparazzi camping out on my driveway anytime soon. By the way, Darienne, you do know that I live right in your very own neighbourhood, don't you?

• Like 5

No, Nyleve, it's  the Seeded Quick Bread.  Period. 

Seeded Quick Bread

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 1/2 cups barley flour

• 1/2 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds

• 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds

• 4 teaspoons baking powder

• 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

• 1 1/2 cups hot water

How to make this recipe

1. Make the bread Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk both flours with the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, baking powder and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and hot water just until the dough comes together. Scrape the dough onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and shape into an 8-inch round. Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden and cooked through and the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer the bread to a rack to cool completely.

Notes:

I've never had the barley flour but have used rye flour when I make it.  My sunflower seed are not salted. I'm not sure if the pumpkin seeds are raw or not.  Have no buttermilk and so I use milk and lemon juice..  Also I usually put the round into a 9" ring from a spring form pan. (Have no 8" spring form pan.)

And I do know where you live and have actually been to your house during an Autumn Artists' Tour many years ago.  So there.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thank you @Darienne and @Nyleve Baar.

My 2004 eG Blog

This is so weird. I have absolutely no memory of that recipe. Are you sure it's from my book? I have never had barley flour in my house either. Now I'm starting to worry about dementia. Mine, not yours.

And Kerry - the note was Darienne's not mine. This note is mine. But that's obvious. (By the way, have been in awe of your Manitoulin cooking experiences. Also bartending ones. Very impressive.)

Darienne - next time you stop in you have to ANNOUNCE yourself. Or maybe we'll meet at the dump. But they've ruined it - not as much fun as it used to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

This is so weird. I have absolutely no memory of that recipe. Are you sure it's from my book? I have never had barley flour in my house either. Now I'm starting to worry about dementia. Mine, not yours.

And Kerry - the note was Darienne's not mine. This note is mine. But that's obvious. (By the way, have been in awe of your Manitoulin cooking experiences. Also bartending ones. Very impressive.)

Darienne - next time you stop in you have to ANNOUNCE yourself. Or maybe we'll meet at the dump. But they've ruined it - not as much fun as it used to be.

Perhaps it is 

This recipe?

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks like exactly the recipe. And it isn't mine, but i would like to take credit for it because it looks damn good.

Yes, used to find many many excellent things at our local dump. Equipped many of my son's girlfriends (and both of my sons) with Cuisinarts of various vintages from there, as well as amazing attachments for my Kitchen Aid and endless mugs and plates for the local soup kitchen where I volunteer. The mugs and plates still show up on occasion, but haven't scored a good appliance from there in probably a year or more. New people are in charge now and they are insanely tidy - throwing everything in the big bins or maybe hoarding the good stuff for themselves. Very unsatisfying. I still get a cool book occasionally, but it's getting rarer and rarer.

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Funny - just found the same one and was going to post it - great minds and all that!

But I know how easy it is to believe a recipe came from a certain place only to discover I was wrong!  I still swear a certain salad dressing originated wiith Jacques Pépin but I have never been able to find it in any of his works. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A
Raab
Raab, Evelyn.
  The clueless baker : baking from scratch - easy as pie / Evelyn Raab.
  Toronto : Key Porter Books, 2001.
  215 p. :

That's the book.  And that's the recipe from that book.  The book is in the Bruce Johnston branch of the Cavan Monaghan (and that's pronounced 'Monagan') libraries.  And yes, the Transfer Station is no longer the Cavan Mall.  But it's not the doing of the 'guys' who work there. But rather of management types.

And I do hope we meet, Nyleve.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ok maybe I really am losing it. But I have the book in front of me and cannot find the recipe in it. I have never owned barley flour and would never write a recipe specifying sea salt as an ingredient ( I just say "salt" and let people fine tune it themselves. This is a puzzle. If it's in the Clueless Baker, what page?

Whoever is responsible for the ruination of the dump, I mourn the loss of a great local shopping area.

OK.  I'll go to the library on Thursday and find the book.  And if I am wrong, then I will hang my head in shame.  Is your copy the original or the revised?

I also made the 'Ridiculously Easy Cheese Bread' and I am staring to have a very strange feeling about the Seeded Quick Bread....

As for the transfer station...I could have wept. It was wonderful and we still have many items in our house which came from it.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And if I am wrong, then I will hang my head in shame

No need to hang your head if that's the case.  This thread is a place to share rockin' recipes and you did exactly that, and inspired a bit of lively discussion as well.

I must say that bread sounds very intriguing and the photo on the page that Anna N linked to looks very appealing.  I'm interested in giving it a try and seeing if it makes nice toast.           

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

No need to hang your head if that's the case.  This thread is a place to share rockin' recipes and you did exactly that, and inspired a bit of lively discussion as well.

I must say that bread sounds very intriguing and the photo on the page that Anna N linked to looks very appealing.  I'm interested in giving it a try and seeing if it makes nice toast.           

And I have barley flour arriving tomorrow!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My DH says that we have never toasted the Seeded Quick Bread and I have never used barley flour as noted at the bottom of my recipe printout. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.