• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Feni Cashew Liquor Recipes

FeniFan

Hi, My name is Howard and this is my first time on this forum. I have a bottle of Feni and am looking for recipes. The web site has a bunch, but not amounts or parts for measuring. Any other recipes have been the same. I like experimenting, but I need a starting point.

Anyone tried any Feni recipes??

Thank you in advance.

Howard

Interesting. From reading the website, it appears to be the eau-de-vie of cashew fruit juice. Or is it sweetened into a liqueur? It is clear (implying that no juice is added to it)?

If you tell us what it tastes like, we might be able to suggest recipes into which it could be substituted. I'm wondering about using it in lieu of apricot brandy or apricot eau-de-vie. Or perhaps peach or pear. But I've never tasted the cashew fruit, even though I've seen them in St Lucia. I assumes it tastes nothing like the nut.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Thanks for replying. It's 85 Proof, so I'm inclined to say it's not really a liqueur. It does state on the bottle, "Cashew Apple Brandy w/natural flavors".

It reminds me of St-Germain a tiny bit, but it's got quite a bit more bite. It's not sweet like a liqueur, but more like Ciroc Vodka for example.

Their website and another have some interesting recipes, but they don't give the amounts, which is killing me because some of them look really interesting.

One of the recipes I find interesting says, "Feni, Orgeat, Lime Juice and Ango Bitters". It sounds so good, but I have no idea where to start as far as amounts. I wrote the company and unfortunately, they got the recipes from different bartenders, but have no other information.

I'm guessing that the fruity flavor is that of the Cashew apple, but never having tasted one, I really can't say.

I know that's much help, but it's all I have :-)

I have no idea what Feni tastes like, but given it's 85 proof it can probably stand in as a base spirit. For the "Feni, Orgeat, Lime Juice and Ango Bitters" drink, maybe start with a basic sour template and adjust from there?

2 oz Feni

.75 oz lime

.75 oz orgeat (maybe less depending on the sweetness of your orgeat)

1 or 2 dashes of Angostura

Shake with ice, strain, serve up. It may not be great but it probably won't be horrible.

Feni's website quotes Eater as saying "It's hard to not get lost in the funky, sour, fruity—think banana meets mango meets durian".

I'm thinking Tiki!

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

6 hours ago, lesliec said:

Feni's website quotes Eater as saying "It's hard to not get lost in the funky, sour, fruity—think banana meets mango meets durian".

I'm thinking Tiki!

Hi Leslie. Yep, as a matter of fact the recipe above is from a list of 6 Tiki drinks, but sadly, none with amounts...

BTW, I love Tiki drinks. I'm just not skilled enough to create one. I'm pretty good at making changes to my liking, but starting from just ingredients is still beyond me.

Have a great day!

Edited by FeniFan
Added content (log)

10 hours ago, sbumgarner said:

I have no idea what Feni tastes like, but given it's 85 proof it can probably stand in as a base spirit. For the "Feni, Orgeat, Lime Juice and Ango Bitters" drink, maybe start with a basic sour template and adjust from there?

2 oz Feni

.75 oz lime

Shake with ice, strain, serve up. It may not be great but it probably won't be horrible.

I'll certainly give that a try. I can't get Feni in Maryland yet, so I'm trying to find out if I really like it before going through the bottle.  The Orgeat I make is similar to T'Ogreat, but not as thick, a little less sweet and a bit nuttier.

I will say the Feni doesn't get buried in a drink. I made one last night that was my hopes for the Easy Spirit. 1.5 oz Feni,  oz St-Germain, 2 oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice, .5 oz of Peach Puree and .25 oz fresh lime juice. It wasn't bad, but not something I crave to make again.

I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know.  Thanks for the help and have a great day.

Howard

21 hours ago, sbumgarner said:

2 oz Feni

.75 oz lime

I gave it a try and it was really pretty nice. I did bump the Orgeat to 1 ounce and replace Angostura Bitters with Peychaud's. It's probably a sin, but I really don't like Angostura Bitters very much :-)

Anyway, thanks for the direction. Now I have at least two drinks for the Feni.

Bests,

Howard

15 hours ago, FeniFan said:

I gave it a try and it was really pretty nice. I did bump the Orgeat to 1 ounce and replace Angostura Bitters with Peychaud's. It's probably a sin, but I really don't like Angostura Bitters very much :-)

Anyway, thanks for the direction. Now I have at least two drinks for the Feni.

Bests,

Howard

If there is an aromatic quality about the Feni I could easily see the Peychaud's working well. Regardless I'm glad it worked out.