• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HST

HST

Gfron1, I believe over 500 people have viewed. People must really like "bad ideas", but honestly Gfweb, I think Tri2cook sort of nailed it. Its just the fundamental opposite of what a restaurant is, which I'm posing as an interesting hypothetical experiment....bad or good, not really the point. Under what conditions is it possible, is the point. I cant really get up on stage on thursday and say, "after much debate, i realized my idea was a bad one". Our professor has owned numerous restaurants and has really pushed us to pursue the idea

Deryn, you nailed it. Target market is really everything here. I think the nostalgia I'm talking about becomes more than a craving. It becomes a yearning. Millennials are super nostalgic as a whole. And exactly, for the target market of this establishment you can write off adventurous eaters, and consequently, most of the eGullet crowd. I actually love to cook and go on culinary adventures, so its not really for me either.

Smithy, yes, I mean generally $20 per one person is what it would be, but if someone asks for something very very simple, perhaps that the restaurant already had in stock, it could be around $10. Also, idea works a lot better say if someone takes a date, which would be a good way of showing someone your exact personality with a meal you constructed.

Think of the elderly too though. If someone has aged to the point where cooking for themselves is difficult, this platform would offer something for the more stubborn elderly person who insists on a dish being prepared a certain way. 

Targets: picky eaters, people with dietary restrictions, the lazy and nostalgic, the elderly 

New study from the Washington Post: Less than 60% of dinners cooked at home, 40% of the survey even considered cereal "inconvenient". Things are getting bad.

I should also add, that although I posed this question, I'm not within the target market. I love to cook and go to adventurous restaurants, and will even travel great lengths just to get something I like.

HST

HST

Gfron1, I believe over 500 people have viewed. People must really like "bad ideas", but honestly Gfweb, I think Tri2cook sort of nailed it. Its just the fundamental opposite of what a restaurant is, which I'm posing as an interesting hypothetical experiment....bad or good, not really the point. Under what conditions is it possible, is the point. I cant really get up on stage on thursday and say, "after much debate, i realized my idea was a bad one". Its about taking what the restaurant is, and explaining under what conditions such an idea would be possible. 

Deryn, you nailed it. Target market is really everything here. I think the nostalgia I'm talking about becomes more than a craving. It becomes a yearning. Millennials are super nostalgic as a whole. And exactly, for the target market of this establishment you can write off adventurous eaters, and consequently, most of the eGullet crowd. I actually love to cook and go on culinary adventures, so its not really for me either.

Smithy, yes, I mean generally $20 per one person is what it would be, but if someone asks for something very very simple, perhaps that the restaurant already had in stock, it could be around $10. Also, idea works a lot better say if someone takes a date, which would be a good way of showing someone your exact personality with a meal you constructed.

Think of the elderly too though. If someone has aged to the point where cooking for themselves is difficult, this platform would offer something for the more stubborn elderly person who insists on a dish being prepared a certain way. 

Targets: picky eaters, people with dietary restrictions, the lazy and nostalgic, the elderly 

New study from the Washington Post: Less than 60% of dinners cooked at home, 40% of the survey even considered cereal "inconvenient". Things are getting bad.

I should also add, that although I posed this question, I'm not within the target market. I love to cook and go to adventurous restaurants, and will even travel great lengths just to get something I like.