• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Beebs

Beebs

Oops, trigger-happy!

Technical challenges aside and not counting private chefs, if such an establishment opened in Vancouver, I personally would not likely pay to try it.  

When I get a craving for something, I want it right now, not 24 hours later when I might be craving something entirely different.  Half the time, I don't even know what I want until I see a menu - the power of suggestion and all that.

I'm not particularly interested in digging up a recipe and giving it to the chef to make, and paying for them to make it, when I can't even be sure they'll do a decent job of it, given that the chef is trying to be all things to all people. Let's say I've got a craving for soup dumplings. Wouldn't it make more sense for me to go somewhere already established that I know can make decent soup dumplings?  I can get my soup dumplings right away, I know they're going to be good, they're not going to be ridiculously expensive, and I don't have to compete with other diners for the chef's attention who has to make Aunt Carol's lasagna, chiles rellenos, take out pad thai, and Sunday roast just like Mom used to make.

There probably will be other Vancouverites who would go for it, just because it's new and different, and want to jump on the bandwagon.  I highly doubt it would last here, though - it'll be far to costly to run in this city.

Interesting project, though, definitely made me think about it. Let us know how it goes!

Beebs

Beebs

Oops, trigger-happy!

Technical challenges aside and not counting private chefs, if such an establishment opened in Vancouver, I personally would not likely pay to try it.  

When I get a craving for something, I want it right now, not 24 hours later when I might be craving something entirely different.  Half the time, I don't even know what I want until I see a menu - the power of suggestion and all that.

I'm not particularly interested in digging up a recipe and giving it to the chef to make, and paying for them to make it, when I can't even be sure they'll do a decent job of it, given that the chef is trying to be all things to all people. Let's say I've got a craving for soup dumplings. Wouldn't it make more sense for me to go somewhere already established that I know can make decent soup dumplings?  I can get my soup dumplings right away, I know they're going to be good, they're not going to be ridiculously expensive, and I don't have to compete with other diners for the chef's attention who has to make Aunt Carol's lasagna, chiles rellenos, take out pad thai, and Sunday roast just like Mom used to make.

There probably will be other Vancouverites who would go for it, just because it's new and different, and want to jump on the bandwagon.  I highly doubt it would last here, though - it'll be far to costly to run in this city.

Interesting project, though, definitely made me think about it. Let us know how it goes!

Beebs

Beebs