• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been thinking about this for the best part of the day now.

Here is my possibly cynical take on it. Hopefully not snarky.

When I have cravings for something, it usually something not easily findable (otherwise why would I have to crave for it). The notion of calling up a restaurant then wait at least 24 hours while they source ingredients and learn how to cook it doesn't appeal. I can do that myself.

Right now, I would love some 大盘鸡 dà pán jī,a chicken dish from Xinjiang in the far west of China. If I order this from your hypothetical restaurant, they probably won't know what it is. The ingredients* aren't difficult to find, so cost shouldn't be a major issue, but they still need a recipe. Where are they going to get it? Probably via Google. Hey! Google is on my computer, too.

I'd rather eat it, or anything else, cooked by someone who knows what they are doing.

One of the biggest failings unsuccessful restaurants make is having over-long menus mixing too many varieties of cuisine in an attempt to please everyone, then pleasing no one. The concept you describe isn't just over-long; it is (within reason) infinite.

I can't see it working. I guess, at best, after six months it would give up and settle on one common denominator menu and sell average food. Canteen food. If it lasted that long.

But an interesting study project. Good luck.

* basically chicken, potato, tomato, but hand-pulled noodles which they ain't going to learn to make in 24 hours.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been thinking about this for the best part of the day now.

Here is my possibly cynical take on it. Hopefully not snarky.

When I have cravings for something, it usually something not easily findable (otherwise why would I have to crave for it). The notion of calling up a restaurant then wait at least 24 hours while they source ingredients and learn how to cook it doesn't appeal. I can do that myself.

Right now, I would love some 大盘鸡 dà pán jī,a chicken dish from Xinjiang in the far west of China. If I order this from your hypothetical restaurant, they probably won't know what it is. The ingredients* aren't difficult to find, so cost shouldn't be a major issue, but they still need a recipe. Where are they going to get it? Probably via Google. Hey! Google is on my computer, too.

I'd rather eat it, or anything else, cooked by someone who knows what they are doing.

One of the biggest failings unsuccessful restaurants make is having over-long menus mixing too many varieties of cuisine in an attempt to please everyone, then pleasing no one. The concept you describe isn't just over-long; it is (within reason) infinite.

I can't see it working. I guess, at best, after six months it would give up and settle on one common denominator menu and sell average food. Canteen food. If it lasted that long.

But an interesting study project. Good luck.

* basically chicken, potato, tomato, and noodles.