• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HST

HST

I don't have to get funding for this for this project or anything, so I guess I'm primarily curious if it were possible, under what conditions would it appeal to you? Like even if you think this a "really bad idea," say someone did pull it off, its new in town, does the idea interest you enough to try it?

Thanks again to those who have responded. Don't be afraid to be snarky or anything. The idea itself was meant to be completely far fetched and incite thought. Pretty much every sit down restaurant is the same exact format: you order the food they suggest you'll like. We wanted to try to rethink that based on individual consumer demand, which, yes, were happy to say is a pretty crazy idea. As someone who loves restaurants this goes against the purpose of any restaurant (which for me is to try new things and leave it to the experts), but with this restaurant you would technically be trying something new (the concept itself) and something familiar (the food you request).

I'm sorry if this is ringing a very familiar bell to any of you, I'm actually a film major and while I love food and know a lot about its significance, thinking through the business side of it is very new to me.

Thank you for pointing that out Pastrygirl. The debate among my group is whether to make this a catering service, a restaurant or a take out only service. 

JeanneCake, thank you very much. I really need an A. I really like the supper club idea. There's not really any in Nashville and I've only been to one and it was a really cool experience.

HST

HST

I don't have to get funding for this for this project or anything, so I guess I'm primarily curious if it were possible, under what conditions would it appeal to you? Like even if you think this a "really bad idea," say someone did pull it off, its new in town, does the idea interest you enough to try it?

Thanks again to those who have responded. Don't be afraid to be snarky or anything. The idea itself was meant to be completely far fetched and incite thought. Pretty much every sit down restaurant is the same exact format: you order the food they suggest you'll like. We wanted to try to rethink that based on individual consumer demand, which, yes, were happy to say is a pretty crazy idea. As someone who loves restaurants this goes against the purpose of any restaurant (which for me is to try new things and leave it to the experts), but with this restaurant you would technically be trying something new (the concept itself) and something familiar (the food you request).

I'm sorry if this is ringing a very familiar bell to any of you, I'm actually a film major and while I love food and know a lot about its significance, thinking through the business side of it 

Thank you for pointing that out Pastrygirl. The debate among my group is whether to make this a catering service, a restaurant or a take out only service. 

JeanneCake, thank you very much. I really need an A. I really like the supper club idea. There's not really any in Nashville and I've only been to one and it was a really cool experience.