• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Deryn said:

What, may I ask, is so obnoxious about the scent of pickled bamboo? Are there unusual ingredients used in the pickling process?

I don't know the answer to that one. It doesn't smell in the least obnoxious to me. But I've heard it said, often. In fact the subject came up at the banquet I had the other night and none of us could understand it. The pickling process is pretty standard.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, Deryn said:

What, may I ask, is so obnoxious about the scent of pickled bamboo? Are there unusual ingredients used in the pickling process?

I don't know the answer to that one. It doesn't smell in the least obnoxious to me. But I've heard it said, often. In fact the subject came up at the banquet I had the other night and none of could understand it. The pickling process is pretty standard.