• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious tribal food

Saren salma

Hey,friends! I would like to share a delicious  tribal authentic recipe which we cook during the festivals.It is called chicken pitha  or jel pitha.. 

Ingredients

1.chicken 500grm

2.onion 6-7

3.cumin powder 4 tblspn

4.coriander powder 3 tblspn

5.ginger garlic paste 4 tblspn

6.chillies 4 

7. Garam masala powder 1 tblspn

8.salt

9.Rice flour 1 kg

10.semolina 10 tblspn

11.Blunched banana leaves

Method

Take a pan pour 10tblspn vegetable oil and fry onion till golden brown then add ginger and garlic paste and fry for 2mnts then add chicken keep stiring for 5mnts.now put all the ingredients except 9,10,11.now fry for 10mnts at the end pour adequate water into it so you can make perfect dough with it after cooling down the chicken.now add rice flour and semolina and make a dough.next step,take banana leaves and oil it then spread little portion of dough over the leaf and cover it with another banana leaf over it now turn on the gas heat a flat pan and put  the leaf in the pan and cook the both side till the flour is cooked.remove the leaves and eat with salad.this is the traditional way of cooking bt u can fry it on flat pan.try it.I am sure u would definitely enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

This is a tribal food from what country and what tribe please.  It sounds very interesting.

Looks to me like India/South Asia but that is a vast area indeed.  I'm most curious about what the dough becomes.  Sort of like a chapati, but softer from being steamed inside the banana leaves?

I googled the name of the recipe and came up with a notation in a book called Santhal Worldview which may or may not have anything to do with the recipe as posted.  Haven't gone further than that and am hoping to hear from the OP.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 hours ago, Darienne said:

I googled the name of the recipe and came up with a notation in a book called Santhal Worldview which may or may not have anything to do with the recipe as posted.  Haven't gone further than that and am hoping to hear from the OP.

Hello!Darienne,I am from  India nd belong to Santhal tribal community.we make this pitha during festivals.There r so many santhali dishes people rarely know so I would like to share some of them.Hope u all enjoy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deryn said:

I highly suspect this is a Bengali recipe. Wikipedia Pitha definition. Can be sweet or savory depending on what you put into it, and is usually made of rice flour I gather.

No,Sweetheart..this is a Santhali recipe from India.Adding sugar can change the taste totally from the main dish.