• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I agree with all of the above

once you try SV  you will never go back to other types of cooking for the above mentioned items.  Ill add corned beef

it does not of course 'brown' the surface

remember :  temp of the bath determines 'doneness'   it rare, med-rare etc  ( at center temp equilibrium )

time determined tenderness

a P.S. of sorts :

as you increase the temp of the bath, say from a starting point of 130, eventually the muscle fibers will contract as they do in say

a traditional braise, them squeezing out moisture and perhaps fat.

there is a way around this but its time consuming  etc

you can tell when you are 'done' with a SV by how much liquid there is in the bad

it had to come from some ware , unless you have a leaky bag.

when you start with SV, start with lower temps and longer time that you initially think are correct then gradually move up

a notebook is nice to keep track of things you might otherwise forget.

rotuts

rotuts

once you try SV  you will never go back to other types of cooking for the above mentioned items.  Ill add corned beef

remember :  temp of the bath determines 'doneness'   it rare, med-rare etc  ( at center temp equilibrium )

a P.S. of sorts :

as you increase the temp of the bath, say from a starting point of 130, eventually the muscle fibers will contract as they do in say

a traditional braise, them squeezing out moisture and perhaps fat.

there is a way around this but its time consuming  etc

you can tell when you are 'done' with a SV by how much liquid there is in the bad

it had to come from some ware , unless you have a leaky bag.

rotuts

rotuts

rotuts

rotuts

remember :  temp of the bath determines 'doneness'   it rare, med-rare etc  ( at center temp equilibruim