• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning/Dragee Colored sugar coating

leopardots

400 g water 
1 KG sugar 
5 g glucose 

Cook to 105 degrees 
Take from heat and let it cool down to room temp then use . 

I took this from an online recipe, but the sugar coating tends to come off during panning, also using shellac and polish seems to take it off also.
  • Thanks 1

So that would be the syrup part of the equation - you would drizzle a bit of the syrup, throw in handfuls of sucrose and blow dry, several layers with regular sized sugar and syrup, followed by layers with fruit sugar sized sugar, then layers of powdered sugar until you get a smooth surface. The last few layers of syrup get the colour (plus flavour if desired). Then polish with wax.

• Thanks 1

1 part of water to 2 parts of sugar will give a 67% solids sucrose solution at room temperature. So your's might have a bit more sugar.

Here is a helpful article.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/15/2016 at 11:19 PM, Kerry Beal said:

1 part of water to 2 parts of sugar will give a 67% solids sucrose solution at room temperature. So your's might have a bit more sugar.

Here is a helpful article.

Should we dry it by hot air blow or cold air 

Edited by Sunny (log)

7 minutes ago, Sunny said:

Can we put hot solution as i put the solution on room temperature it becomes very thick and the sugar layer was also not crunchy like m&m 

I believe you can - what is the concentration of your sugar syrup solution?

500 gm water , 1 kg sugar ... i dried it wid ac blow air .... the other problem i faced is dat it didnt shine even after putting aclacia gum as earlier chocolate gets very gud shine by putting dis

Edited by Sunny (log)

crystallised sugar is very different to polish than chocolate. I remember when I did these in a class I was in it took about 3 hours to coat them with the sugar syrup properly, it had to be really slow otherwise the coating just fell off because it was getting too thick before it was crystallised properly. We then covered it with chocolate and polished that.

Thanks for such a great information kerry. Plz help wid one more thing as how to apply carnauba wax and in which proportion . I have ordered carnauba wax flakes but dont know how to use .Kindly help

Edited by Sunny (log)

22 hours ago, Sunny said:

Thanks for such a great information kerry. Plz help wid one more thing as how to apply carnauba wax and in which proportion . I have ordered carnauba wax flakes but dont know how to use .Kindly help

As i remember, you brush the wax in the pan, then the pieces pick it up. I might be totally off base here, but that is what I remember from class.Seems like he added something to the wax to make it brushable?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Did you google this at all? A short session found this (polishing wax in this is a finely powdered carnuba wax)

Example how to polish

Glazing tablets is generaly done in the following manner.

Process 1
Shut off inlet and exhaust air of coating device.
Rotate the pan and sprinkle Polishing wax-105 on the tablets (around 0.01% per tablet wt).
So that tablets do not slide, gradually increase the number of pan rotations and maintain for a few minutes.

Process 2
Repeat Process 1 until a glaze is obtained (usually 3 – 4 times).

Process 3
Run inletand exhaust air for a few minutes to remove excess wax powder on the surface of the tablets.

From http://www.freund.co.jp/english/chemical/additive/olishingwax.html

Edited by keychris
Stupid phone autocorrect (log)