• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mosey's Irish Pork

GlorifiedRice

Thanks for the heads up.  I've never seen this product here where I live (but that's not all that unusual since I live in a very small population state) but should I run across it I will know to pass it by.

• 1 month later...

That's interesting; I found this for the first time at my Ralphs (SoCal Kroger affiliate) store last week, tried it, and found it delicious. Had to stock up, since it didn't move well and they probably won't get it again. I tripped over this thread trying to find a source online!

I don't know if you just followed the directions as given, but my favored method for any meat of this sort is to start it stovetop then transfer to a slow oven. I'd gotten a 1.5 lb piece for the trial. Brought it to a boil in a 2-liter copper cocotte and skimmed out the gummy threads it threw off, then dumped in the spice packet and put it covered in the oven. Gave it 1 hr/lb and checked the temperature until it reached 160º. Then I reduced the heat and gave it another hour. Drained it, let it cool a bit, and sliced some off. YUM. Had to try three or four more just to make sure … I have a three-pound slab with a good solid fat cap I'm saving for an Irish-themed dinner party sometime. It goes beautifully with colcannon. I also cooked an intermediate sized one with which I intend to make a batch of hash. 

I'm pretty much over cooking corned beef – I'm the only human carnivore in the house now, and don't feel like the bother of wrestling with something that may or may not be tender or even chewable, but which is at least expensive. This is tender without being flabby, the fat is nicer, and I love the mellow porky flavor.

Pot and Pork.jpg

Pork.jpg

• Like 2

G. Rice, You should probably not bother – the flavor is very mild and will stay that way unless you decide to brine it some more. While I love the hardcore dry-cured Southern pork products, I like a mild-cured meat as well, and that's what this is. Not even really cured, as the package says "KEEP REFRIGERATED." It's more akin to those Cook's ham slices, but better-quality meat and no smoke flavor added. I would not slice this and serve it as appetizers, but as an accompaniment to the vegetables one would serve with boiled corned beef I like it a lot. I did in fact have some with my leftover colcannon – a dish of potatoes mashed with leeks and cabbage and plenty of cream and butter – and it was perfect. For sandwiches, well … you'd want mustard.

@ rotuts – This isn't brisket, it's pork loin cut to resemble brisket. The brine is very mild, and that spice packet is something this really needs.

Edited by willowen (log)