• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from Sebastopol, CA

Bakerchic

Hi Folks! 

I consider myself an amateur cook/baker. I really love baking and want to learn more.  I frequently have questions that seem to rely on experience rather than book learning, so it would be nice to bounce ideas off people.  I am a registered dietitian, so I have some knowledge of food science and how human nutritional needs.  I started baking a 9 years old, but I've never done  it professionally.  I had dreams of opening a bakery, but got scared off when I read the book "How to Run a Profitable Bakery" or something like that.  Yikes!  So, for now, I'll stay an amateur with help from the pros! 

Audrey

• Like 6

Hello and welcome Bakerchic.   When I read as far as Sebastopol...I thought WOW!  Someone is writing from Russia.  Interesting name for a place in sunny California.

Welcome to eGullet.  If you've been baking since 9 years old, you must know a lot and I look forward to reading about it.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Welcome, Bakerchic!  You're lucky to be up in the wine country, and so close to good food being grown year-round.  It's a beautiful area.  You've come to a good place to get answers and learn from pros as well as enthusiastic amateurs.  C'mon in and make yourself at home.  If you have questions about the forums, feel free to ask a host.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome Bakerchic, from one dietitian to another, all be in a retired one!  You will have a great deal of learning to do as you read through the various threads.  Members here are very friendly and there is a real sense of online community here.  just jump in and start participating.

Welcome from Australia. When I read Sebastapol I thought of the suburb in Ballarat, about 100 kms west of Melbourne, and where my mum lives. He he.  I'm afraid I'm not even a bakers apron, but I look forward to seeing your baked treats !