• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nonpareils (sprinkles)

Denverite

Hello-

I found eGullet after searching for "how to pan candy" on the good ol' Google.  

I'm wondering if anyone here has made nonpareils like the picture I attached?  I can buy the base round spheres but they don't come in the colors I want so I thought "hmm, maybe I can make them myself?"  Or, does anyone know of classes offered that might help me out in this pursuit?  I've seen some candy classes but am not sure those are the correct thing for me to take.  

I found links on pinterest where people used food dye but I'm not sure how hardy the color on the surface would be.  Another thought I had was using an airbrush?  

Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 3.16.58 PM.png

photo source: https://www.cakes.com/products/non-pareils-mixed-colors-3-dot-8-oz-6236?gclid=CLXhnfTA7soCFYJDaQodZmcLyw

Edited by Denverite (log)

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - polished.

So the color won't stick if the white ones have been polished?  I found links like this one: http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2013/02/sprinkles-diy-custom-colors.html where bloggers colored jimmies with food dye.  They said the color stayed but I have been led astray by Pinterest suggestions before.  lol  

Thanks again! 

44 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suppose if you used a fat based colour powder on the carnuba waxed surface it might work - one way to find out!

True!  Hopefully it works.  I'll test it out by hand coloring since I don't have a coating pan or access to one.  Thank you for your help. :)