• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, JTravel said:

It's cold here now, evenings were warmer a couple of weeks ago. Thoughts may turn to a cup of hot coffee, or in my case, a mug of hot chocolate. You are in the Right place.  Known for both coffee and chocolate, the state of Oaxaca provides the capital city with both.

The big player  in town (and country?) for chocolate is Mayordomo

Thanks for this.  I'm really enjoying the information, and the photos.  Wonderful.

As for Mayordomo chocolate - I sure wish it were easier to get in the US.  I haven't exactly spent countless hours and sleepless nights looking, but I have made an effort, and couldn't find it through any of my usual sources - like MexGrocer online, and the many Mexican markets here in Houston.  I've found it for sale from individuals on ebay, but at quite a hefty premium.  For years, I've dragged back several pounds each Mexico visit.  It keeps in the freezer quite well.

However, more recently, I have discovered the excellent stone-ground Mexican chocolate from Rancho Gordo, and no longer miss Mayordomo quite so much. 

http://www.ranchogordo.com/products/chocolate-stoneground-chocolate

Most norteamericanos do use milk to mix their hot chocolate drinks, but I prefer water - at least I do so long as I have some whipped cream handy.  That way, I can sip the strong dark chocolate up through the cool sweet cream.  For me, it's the best of both worlds.

Jaymes

Jaymes

It's cold here now, evenings were warmer a couple of weeks ago. Thoughts may turn to a cup of hot coffee, or in my case, a mug of hot chocolate. You are in the Right place.  Known for both coffee and chocolate, the state of Oaxaca provides the capital city with both.

Thanks for this.  I'm really enjoying the information, and the photos.  Wonderful.

As for Mayordomo chocolate - I sure wish it were easier to get in the US.  I haven't exactly spent countless hours and sleepless nights looking, but I have made an effort, and couldn't find it through any of my usual sources - like MexGrocer, and the many Mexican markets here in Houston.  I've found it for sale from individuals on ebay, but at quite a hefty premium.  For years, I've dragged back several pounds each Mexico visit.  It keeps in the freezer quite well.

However, more recently, I have discovered the excellent stone-ground Mexican chocolate from Rancho Gordo, and no longer miss Mayordomo quite so much. 

Most norteamericanos do use milk to mix their hot chocolate drinks, but I prefer water - at least I do so long as I have some whipped cream handy.  That way, I can sip the strong dark chocolate up through the cool sweet cream.  For me, it's the best of both worlds.

Jaymes

Jaymes

I wish Mayordomo chocolate were easier to get in the US.  I haven't exactly spent countless hours and sleepless nights looking, but I have made an effort, and couldn't find it through any of my usual sources - like MexGrocer, and the many Mexican markets here in Houston.  I've found it for sale from individuals on ebay, but at quite a hefty premium.  For years, I've dragged back several pounds each Mexico visit.  It keeps in the freezer quite well.