• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Applying lye solution to things you can't dip

Wholemeal Crank

I am a pretzel-holic, and a baker.  I've recently been trying the dilute lye solution per Rose Levy Berenbaum's instructions for Pretzle Bread with my own crackers, with good success overall, but am frustated by trying to apply the solution uniformly to a sheet of dough that can't be dipped whole. 

I've been using a silicone basting brush to apply it, but that's not sufficient for a smooth application.  I worry about the lye interacting with my natural bristle brushes, especially the glues used to hold them together, and their handles.  I'm seeking a better way to apply the solution uniformly & lightly to a sheet of dough (at this point of the cracker preparations) without eating glue or breathing aerosolized lye.  Suggestions?

A normal spray bottle rather than one with gas canister ( I'm guessing that's what you meant by aerosolised?)  it's the only way I can think of an even application across a large surface area and what I use when making bread. 

Hope you find a solution 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Je33 said:

A normal spray bottle rather than one with gas canister ( I'm guessing that's what you meant by aerosolised?)  it's the only way I can think of an even application across a large surface area and what I use when making bread. 

Hope you find a solution 

I'd like to avoid spray bottles because I don't want to inhale the stuff....but no better solution comes along, I may try that.  What brand of spray bottle do you use? 

15 minutes ago, Deryn said:

Could you soak a cloth in the lye solution and lay it gently over the surface of the pan and pat it equally as gently?

Interesting.  I'll have to try this out with some plain water first and see how practical it is.

I've found the best bottles are one from the gaden center- usually because they have the finest mist spray setting for a better coverage.  No particular brand I'm afraid but I look forward to seeing your results 

I wouldn't trust one from a garden center to be food-safe:  when putting lye solution in it, I want to be as sure as I can that it's not got something unpleasant sitting on the surface and waiting for lye to dissolve it.  But I've never paid attention to that when buying misters for spraying water on my loaves, and it hasn't killed me yet....

This might sound silly, but what about using a sponge?  That would give you even coverage with no mist.  Alternatively, you could use a pipette to release the lye solution and then spread it with gloved hands.  I haven't tried either with lye so I'm not sure how viable these are... just thinking... :) 

Oh,  just clarify they are always empty bottles I buy and are always sterilised before use! 

The garden center ones just seem to have a finer mist compared to other bottles

hope you manage to figure something out 

well, I be in serious bigtime trubbles..... because for the last 20 years or so:

I buy the $0.99 2.5 or 3 inch wide disposable paint brushes at Home Depot.

the same "brand" ones you see in BB&B as "pastry brushes" for $2.99 each.

they get used for lye; they get used for water / butter / oil on strudel / puff dough / filo / salmon / trout / etc / etc / etc.

they get a good rinse - hot or cold depending on butter/aqueous brushee - and go thru the dishwasher.

I can understand the silicon brush thingies would be seriously unsatisfactory.  somebody gave me one for Xmas one year - I think I tried it twice before it chucked it....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1