• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

for a "German style" cucumber salad I use 50-50 cider vinegar + olive oil - slightly different twist.

salt&pepper + celery seed.

about 1/2 thinly sliced onion by volume to cucumber slices.

no sugar.

no paprika (in Hungary methinks everything gets . . .   )

the Penna Amish are fond of sugar in their version, and also in pepperslaw - I suppose it's a regional thing - but I much prefer without.

white vinegar will likely taste even stronger and more "raw" - I'd suggest you start with the 50-50 mix, taste - add more water until the bite decreases to your liking.

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

for a "German style" cucumber salad I use cider vinegar + olive oil - slightly different twist.

salt&pepper + celery seed.

about 1/2 thinly sliced onion by volume to cucumber slices.

no sugar.

no paprika (in Hungary methinks everything gets . . .   )

the Penna Amish are fond of sugar in their version, and also in pepperslaw - I suppose it's a regional thing - but I much prefer without.

white vinegar will likely taste even stronger and more "raw" - I'd suggest you start with the 50-50 mix, taste - add more water until the bite decreases to your liking.