• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

Beef and beer casserole.
Served with mixed mash, green veggies with bacon, and crusty garlic bread. 

The mash - a combo of potato, sweet potato and butternut pumpkin, mashed with butter and cream.

The veggies - cabbage, peas, baby spinach, sautéed with onion, bacon and garlic, enabled with some white wine.

image.thumb.jpeg.957c84ef46a5a87ae15c2bdimage.thumb.jpeg.d28e5f48b2453510db47c63image.thumb.jpeg.3084eed9661ed420d0bbeea

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I want some of that yummy looking bread!

You can have the bread if I can have the mash!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night: risotto with artichokes, red peppers and prosciutto

DSC00651.thumb.jpg.c276d7fc0beacf37abd22

Tonight: Kielbasa with potatoes, onions and peppers with a salad with apples, dried cranberries, pecans, endive, spinach and romaine. It is currently - 4.9 F - This seemed like a good choice.

DSC00660.thumb.jpg.cd9e0a9aed37a9b75c03d

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

My Valentine; hybrid Korean/Taiwanese/Nashville/David Chang hot chicken sandwiches, adapted from ladyandpups.com. Pounded a chicken breast very thin, into one huge jagged piece of chicken (that's the Taiwanese part), brined it in buttermilk, Tabasco, garlic powder and pickle juice, dredged it in tapioca flour (Taiwanese again) and then deep fried it to an impossible crisp. And then pulled on rubber gloves and rubbed a sauce I made from Korean chilli flakes, brown sugar, paprika, garlic, chipotle and white pepper into every nook and nubbiny cranny.

And then shoved it into a soft squishy roll that I'd toasted the innards of with sweet miso butter, stuffed a few cucumber pickles and a shiso leaf inside, and handed it to my ravenous Valentine. (After, yes, pulling a corner of batter off the bottom corner for, you know, testing purposes.)

12721709_10153939187624122_1508848426_n.

12736292_10153939187614122_704034194_n.t

• Like 21

@rarerollingobject

You have just about got the filling-to-bun ratio correct!   That is a rare talent.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pizza and movie night.  Alas, my name was not drawn from the jar, so I had to sit through another Batman movie.  Revenge will be mine eventually.  It's just a matter of which Merchant and Ivory film to choose...  

Pizzas were the usual flavors.  Carbonara

56c096a6abafd_carbonarapizza.thumb.jpg.c

White clam

56c096b0b9505_whiteclampizza.thumb.jpg.a

Pepperoni

56c096ab1d2dd_pepperonipizza.thumb.jpg.5

vegetable

56c096ae352bd_veggiepizza.thumb.jpg.c4a9

• Like 24

It's still snowing and with this meal we forgot for a moment what we'd be facing tomorrow morning.

Beef shanks braised in red wine (and some Bovril) for 3 hours in the oven. Dumplings contained the same amount of potatoes, plus eggs and flour.

The colour of red wine and Bovril

HT7Q3vp.jpg

Dumplings close-up

B411q3M.jpg

• Like 10

No photos, but in contrast to last night's effort, tonight was a defrosted leftovers of a painfully too sweet home made beef masamman curry, brought to sanity through the umami filled leftovers of this morning's sautéed mushrooms for the full English, plus a large amount of potted Thai basil, a generous glug of nam pla and a cup or so of water. Slow cooked for 3 hours in the top oven at 120, then served with Thai jasmine micro rice. I'm so sorry, except I am not, as it was actually quite tasty :)

• Like 4

Sous vide ribeye, perfectly medium rare, with cherry port balsamic reduction. Served with roasted golden potatoes with bacon, garlic and parm. First time cooking sous vide, and turned out great. Two hours in the circulator at 133.5F, finished with a sear in a screaming hot dutch oven.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Tortellini (purchased) with tomatoes, roasted garlic and tomato sauce. I made about 6 quarts of this sauce when I harvested tomatoes and garlic last fall and froze it. So nice to have when it is -5F.

DSC00670.thumb.jpg.cc3ff064a26cf45eceda1

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Got myself this small chicken and poached her.

chicken3.jpg.0fbf15395e238617ec6a26efac4

Had the breast meat with leeks, mushrooms and rice. Sachimi Togarishi for seasoning.

56c14d7518fdb_chickenleekmushroom2.jpg.f

Followed by a couple of golden kiwifruit.

56c14d80e2e9b_goldkiwifruit2.jpg.0dc45cb

I also removed the leg and wing meat (very little of that) which is in the fridge for lunch, today..

The remainder of the bird: carcass, leg bones, feet, head etc are now slowly becoming stock for later.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I cooked for nine (including 2 vegans) on Friday and Saturday - no time to take pictures but it was tasty - cabbage salad with mango and coriander (Fri) and bucatini with a quick meat sauce (olive oil, onion, carrot, celery + sugo + ground beef/TVP flakes).

Yesterday, I managed to use up the very last leftovers from Thanksgiving - turkey meat and pan-juices went into a shallot-bacon creamy sauce along with penne and some choi sum in place of spinach. Also roasted some chickpeas as a before-and-after snack and for a dessert I opened a box of green tea mochi I brought from our Christmas trip to Vienna.

24909603552_075a9b615e.jpg

• Like 7

Vlcatko

While roaming the valleys of a massive Vietnamese supermarket on the weekend, I saw and therefore had to buy this wonderful dried prawn and sesame seed rice paper. Isn't it beautiful??

And did you know that if you microwave any kind of rice paper or raw prawn cracker for 2 mins on high, it puffs up into a perfect crisp. And usually forms its own bowl shape, just right for filling with shredded mango, carrots, mint, perilla, sugar-steeped prawns and caramelised pork belly. And then dousing in fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, raw and crispy garlic, and lots of chopped fresh chilli.

You just break off a bit of your bowl, use it as a chip, and double dip to your heart's content.12736202_10153941435834122_258986375_n.t12722207_10153941424499122_915731277_o.t

• Like 19