• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Chuck, top round, bavette, filet tips.

Bavette is so little that I cure it as I'm SVing it.  The other cuts I use a rub for several days depending on thickness.

Lately I've done mostly flank steak because I like it for slicing for sandwiches

Thank you.  It would appear that in Canada the bavette is flap, and if it is, it is a cut I can't recall ever seeing  in a grocery store.    Maybe a fellow Canadian can confirm this?  I think I might try this with chuck.  Wouldn't a top round be too lean, or am I missing something here?

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  It would appear that in Canada the bavette is flap, and if it is, it is a cut I can't recall ever seeing  in a grocery store.    Maybe a fellow Canadian can confirm this?  I think I might try this with chuck.  Wouldn't a top round be too lean, or am I missing something here?

If you cook it conventionally it would be tough and dry. But cooked SV for a couple days at the right temp its moist and tender.

Bavette is flap.  Costco has it in the States

Edited by gfweb (log)

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric

Id like to hear more about your PC corned beef    thanks

It was a 1.5 kg corned silverside. Into the PC with one clove studded onion, 40 g brown sugar, 40 ml malt vinegar and two cups of water. Bring to low pressure and simmer for about an hour. Slow release and cool in the liquid. 

• Like 1

Total white trash dinner for me tonight....

Idahoan boxed scalloped potatoes with extra Cabot cheese, some minced potatoes, minced shallots, ham, frozen peas and white pepper.  Cooked on top of the stove then finished in the oven with crushed Lay's bacon mac and cheese potato chips.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner tonight was panko breaded fish, Shelby's fries and pan roasted bok choy.   The "relish" with the fish is TJ's Ginger and Mango Chutney.   I love that stuff.  I am almost out if it.   I think I'm going to cry.

20160307_195925.jpg

• Like 13

Had to hit up Torerro's again for a great Mexican dinner on $2.00 frozen margarita special night again. I had the carne asada skirt steak with rice, beans and a cheese enchilada. Husband had the fajitas sampler, which comes with shrimp, beef, and chicken with rice, beans and lettuce, pico, guacamole and sour cream. The shrimp, as I have read in reviews, was the star of his plate, with the chicken being tender, moist, and perfectly spiced. The beef was not so much. I insisted that he eat a bite of my skirt steak after I had sampled his shrimp, chicken and beef. He was like, "Why, I already have beef?" I told him to just taste it anyway, and that would be the end of the questions. After he got done moaning, there were no more questions. :smile:

Afterward, it was warm enough to enjoy a couple drinks on the patio out front after we settled the bill and tip.

Then I persuaded him to go next door to the small, but excellent Today Asia Market for a few minutes. He took our leftover takeout boxes to the truck and met me in the produce department, and immediately started in with the "I wanna go home!" toddler rant. Then he spied the fresh seafood department, perked up, and we left with two 2" thick bone-in salmon steaks, four whole croaker, a huge leek, a large head of green leaf lettuce, a white onion, and huge broccoli crown for only a bit over $22, which I could very easily have spent on the salmon alone almost anywhere else. We are so lucky to have so many ethnic restaurants and markets right here in our neighborhood.

These ingredients will be featuring in subsequent dinners, and I'm especially looking forward to the salmon steaks grilled over charcoal in the nice weather forecast for us next week.

As we were checking out, my husband said to me, "You're expensive." I shot right back, "Yeah, but I'm worth it, and I'm gonna cook all this stuff up so good, you're gonna be so glad we came in here." The lady checking us out, who wasn't too happy to see us non-Asian customers when we walked in, was cracking a smile despite herself as we left.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <

No photos because revealing is enough.  Dinner last evening was a Big Mac and fries.  As I said on the breakfast topic sometimes circumstance trumps choice.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by @ShelbyI made my first ever skillet cornbread. It's not common food here in Oz, my local supermarket doesn't even stock corn meal. So, I adapted using a mix of plain flour, polenta and baking soda. Other ingredients were whole corn kernels, grated cheddar cheese, chopped coriander, buttermilk, a beaten egg and melted butter. I snuck in a few (well, four) finely chopped pickled hot chillies. It worked well, cooked on the stove for 10, then into the oven with the top element on for 10. 

I was foiled trying to replicate the ham and beans by Shelby. My deli lady at the supermarket brusquely told me that bacon and ham bones are winter food, we'll have them when it's colder...err, rightyo !
Instead, I made chilli con carne with chuck steak and red kidney beans plus lots of chilli. 

image.thumb.jpeg.54e5a2de8687c3fd04a24ba

• Like 14

Sartoric, that looks really good.  The cornbread looks perfect and I love how you were able to improvise a bit! I enjoy learning about places I've never been.  Cornmeal around here is as prolific as a bag of flour.    I suppose in a couple of months it might be cold enough for your store to have some ham bones :) 

• Like 4

I stood on my head to get the brisket from my beef share out of the chest freezer today, to let it thaw for a day in the fridge before plunking it in the cure. I get one sizeable piece every year with my quarter-steer, and save it for St. Patrick's day, when I have traditionally ruined it with an unsuccessful cure/cook. 

This year, it's a beauty of a 7.2-pound flat. Part of it is getting cured and frozen, to become pastrami later this year. The rest -- well, it will be yet again my attempt at homemade corned beef, this year with the Ruhlman recipe from Charcuterie, which I will follow slavishly.

Meanwhile, simple dinner last night. Top sirloin, SV for four hours at 140, then seared in an iron skillet. Damn steak was still tough. Lima beans and corn were excellent, though.

20160307_182311_zpsncxrcabp.JPG.dba38e3b

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

No photos because revealing is enough.  Dinner last evening was a Big Mac and fries.  As I said on the breakfast topic sometimes circumstance trumps choice.  

Well, it'll stand between you and starvation. I feel that way sometimes about Taco Bell.

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

Inspired by @ShelbyI made my first ever skillet cornbread. It's not common food here in Oz, my local supermarket doesn't even stock corn meal. So, I adapted using a mix of plain flour, polenta and baking soda. Other ingredients were whole corn kernels, grated cheddar cheese, chopped coriander, buttermilk, a beaten egg and melted butter. I snuck in a few (well, four) finely chopped pickled hot chillies. It worked well, cooked on the stove for 10, then into the oven with the top element on for 10. 

I was foiled trying to replicate the ham and beans by Shelby. My deli lady at the supermarket brusquely told me that bacon and ham bones are winter food, we'll have them when it's colder...err, rightyo !
Instead, I made chilli con carne with chuck steak and red kidney beans plus lots of chilli. 

"It's not common food here in Oz..."

I'm so sorry.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kayb, I have made corned beef using the Rhulman recipe and it works like a charm.  I am going to buy a chuck, (thanks, Sartoric!) and attempt to corn that, also using Rhulman's recipe.

Sartoric, I am in Canada and Costco where I am does not sell flap nor brisket.

Tonight we had this:  rice on the bottom, mango, red pepper, red onion, cilantro salad on top and the lot topped with chicken tenders. I think the salad part would have been better with less mango and the addition of some cucumber.  

20160308_195638.jpg

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Elsie, your dinner is very appealing.   So colourful.

We haven't had dinner yet, but this is what we are having.

Rack%20of%20Lamb%20March%208th%2C%202016

Rack of lamb seasoned and ready for the grill. 

Absolutely one of my favorites!!!

• Like 2

On 19/02/2016 at 2:19 PM, Vlcatko said:

Hmm, so it's not a common practice then - to lard dryer meats? Quite a few of Czech dishes (that are now quite commonly called traditional) use larding so I thought it was a regular thing... Then again, I'd never heard of larding with butter before, so there's that :)

I've never tried it, but I did see a "traditional" Czech cookbook that called for larding a roast beef joint with hot dogs.  I found that both really funny and potentially delicious :)

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:37 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Then I persuaded him to go next door to the small, but excellent Today Asia Market for a few minutes. He took our leftover takeout boxes to the truck and met me in the produce department, and immediately started in with the "I wanna go home!" toddler rant. Then he spied the fresh seafood department, perked up, and we left with two 2" thick bone-in salmon steaks, four whole croaker, a huge leek, a large head of green leaf lettuce, a white onion, and huge broccoli crown for only a bit over $22, which I could very easily have spent on the salmon alone almost anywhere else. We are so lucky to have so many ethnic restaurants and markets right here in our neighborhood.

I love it..  Its always on our Sat shopping list here in Omaha

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Various stuff.

Eggs w/ Chinese chive flower buds & stalks.

DSCN8357a_600.jpg.f1b038f410babcd3ea668e

Harm Choy Tong w/ chicken.

DSCN8361a_600.jpg.6308fda402b24a1413b65c

Taucheo Kangkong.

DSCN8365b_600.jpg.e8e0dce345afc5be06a257

One iteration of Teochew-style Bak Kut Teh, 潮州式肉骨茶.

DSCN8369c_600.jpg.318be933ae306909db3773

Another helping of the TSBKT w/ rice.

DSCN8380a_600.jpg.8e5f961c940e2b558102ff

Stir-fried Taiwan Choy Sum.

DSCN8385a_600.jpg.90a8b6e6956c9ab2daf864

Pickled cucumbers, Westphalian ham, peppered beef, coarse Braunschweiger, caperberries, semolina bread.

DSCN8388a_600.jpg.c0a15aae9d2530d996f399

Smoked garlic sausages, shallots, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, hon-mirin, whiskey, other stuff & seasonings, Cipriani tagliarelle.

DSCN8393a_600.jpg.2852fc15635141cbf9c53e

email me if you want details.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10