• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

@liamsaunt

I am impressed with your bowls, with your soup but most of all with the whole concept of a soup bar for a family meal.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Why why why didn't I start SV'ing YEARS ago????  I am so late to the party and I know you guys are sick of me extolling the SV virtues ......but I'm going to rave again lol.  I had 2 double cut pork chops in the freezer that I was saving for a special occasion.  Well, the fact that it was Saturday was special enough because I wanted them.  

The last time we made these, they were dry (sorry Ronnie, but they were lol) and I had long ago decided that pork just wasn't my other white meat.  That tune has changed.

56dc5a4d4bd52_photo2.JPG.43ab1083281b4f5

Scalloped taters to go with.

56dc5a6a63bd7_photo3.jpg.17025563adca779

56dc5a75597d9_photo4.jpg.f7f4ecff35ed049

56dc5a7cb080a_photo5.jpg.00ebdf24a993f0b

• Like 16

@Shelby

I have to agree with you on pork chops. I had given up on them until I discovered sous vide. Yours look quite amazing. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby    

v

Id not worry about the past

Id look to the future:

find a whole Loin from the pig

trim it carefully    ( the knarly bits on the top etc. )

bag the result in 1/2 or 1/3 long cuts  down the line of the whole loin  ( not the tender loin )

cool 130.1 for say 6 - 8 hours, or more   Quick Chill  freeze

best thin cut sandwiches in you area or mine when the heat and humidify get above 90 F

• Like 1

Simple roasted chicken, roasted potatoes and garlic, blueberry chutney and, in my opinion, the star of the meal, a salad of carrots, fennel, celery, apple, endive and radicchio, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt. 

DSC00749.thumb.jpg.e1968792aa1ea0406972e

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Made Alton Brown Baked Crispy Chicken wings!!  For the UFC  Diaz  fight!!

I dry rubbed these, first!!

25440524182_ea8ac3239f_k.thumb.jpg.aa795

25532954056_830ff3009b_k.thumb.jpg.aee17

Sauced w/ Fraanks Hot Sauce /Louisiana hot sauce and Butter   -- touch of scorpion pepper    ( Half were  left dry rub only )

25440544842_0658549181_k.thumb.jpg.29943

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10

Its good to have Morels

Last night was leftovers of whole wheat spaetzle, red cabbage with grape jelly and apple and sauerbraten.

Just finishing up a mish mash red lentil soup from two of eG's Pam Reiss' Soup book.  Also have Anna Thomas' but these hit me for what I actually have right now....

Leek, onion, garlic, carrots, bay leaf, red lentils, some nice canned tomatoes and - not in the book and no longer pareve  or maybe even kosher - a turkey Italian sausage.  A bundle of fresh herbs and a bit of salt.

For Johnnybird's liking I will take the casing off of the sausage and discard it.  Also thinking of finishing with a tiny drizzle of honey(cranberry or broadbean) or some balsamic.  A loaf of rustic bread and a simple romaine salad to go with it.

• Like 9

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

Well

Ive got most of AB's stuff

do you have a ref ?

tasty it looks

RT 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe.html

Basically Steam 10 mins..  cool on rack at least 1 hr in frig.. cook 425 on rack 20 mins  flip another 20 mins.  I used convection bake

I allow as much circulation around wings as you can.

Then toss in sauce you wish

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Sister in law demanded Lechon Asado again. Mojo marinated shoulder roasted to internal temperature of 195F, thin sliced, sauced with garlic sauce and topped with pickled red onion. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Shelby – thanks for the bean information.  I’ll be trying that!

Dinner last night started with a salad, of course:

DSCN1392.JPG.466252636741a52f612bdd1b6d5

Very bland looking plate:

DSCN1394.JPG.31fd91ab85c425b6f0832fba9d2

But it tasted great.  Oven fried pork chop, whipped potatoes, Dana’s broccoli and cauliflower (mostly cauliflower) au gratin and rolls.  That gratin is wonderful – one of our favorite side dishes:

DSCN1393.JPG.2996cb93f616b7a89c92fe534eb

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Anna N said:
5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric

Id like to hear more about your PC corned beef    thanks

@Shelby

I have to agree with you on pork chops. I had given up on them until I discovered sous vide. Yours look quite amazing. 

I do CB in the SV. Comes out great. You can make CB with much cheaper cuts that way.

and  then smoke them on the  three burner weber with your own Chips 

@  130 F

Id like to find that pic tomorrow

just saying

Wow  there it is !

and Ive only been thinking recently about today's

M.R.

smiley-smile.gif.597dfdf24dfe67dbc90eca3

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What other cuts have you used to make corned beef?

Chuck, top round, bavette, filet tips.

Bavette is so little that I cure it as I'm SVing it.  The other cuts I use a rub for several days depending on thickness.

Lately I've done mostly flank steak because I like it for slicing for sandwiches