• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

(Thanks, Ann_T!)

---------------------------------------------

Summery food today. If I mix the mince and the Turkish red pepper paste, spread it on the bread and bake it then it'd be Lahmacun (which I do make once every fortnight or so to take a break from Flammkuchen).

9sad5Em.jpg

The Iraqi flat bread is huge, I cut it up to eat in smaller portions. That's just red wine in the beer glass, btw.

r1usPRo.jpg

• Like 16

Yukhoe on hot white rice; yukhoe is Korean beef tartare marinated in garlic, honey, black pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil, with a raw egg yolk. And I added a few of my other favourite ingredients; chopped blanched octopus, tiny cubes of crunchy, juicy nashi pear, Korean chilli flakes, and crispy garlic.

image.thumb.jpg.f1a0e6dc27818d2aa987d8e5

And drizzled with ginger oil, and Korean plum syrup (maesil).

image.thumb.jpg.f319de1372470fc6b63f99b6

With a little sprinkle of this beautiful Cypriot black salt:

image.thumb.jpg.d674ff1a4498c99123f49f1a

• Like 17

Herby omelette stuffed with shredded Hainanese chicken, diced tomatoes and spring onions. 

Served with rice, a small soup with wakame and cabbage, plus sauce of onions, garlic and chilli.

image.thumb.jpeg.10755ba1fbe5016acda17f6

• Like 11

Tonight: I am cooking my way through a Christmas present, Lynne Rossetto Kasper's The Italian Country Table.  Bruschetta with seasoned ricotta, oven roasted tomatoes, red onion, parsley, olive oil and oregano (Sicilian Farmer's Bruschetta). Also what  she calls "Tuscan Mountain Supper" -  dried beans cooked with tomato, sage, onion, parsley and garlic served with a salad of bitter greens and red onion (in this case endive and radicchio and a little romaine just to cut the bitterness). I added a bit of cappicola to the salad - just because. The salad and beans are to be eaten together and that really worked - the salad cut the richness of the beans, the beans balanced the bitterness of the salad. The beans were, again, from my garden - seeds I got from Johnny's on clearance labeled "Italian shell beans". I'm not sure what variety the really are but they tasted really good.

DSC00729.thumb.jpg.451e78b892bb28c561191

DSC00730.thumb.jpg.8d6209e9495daa595f7b0

These are the beans I used (before cooking). They look a lot like pinto beans to me....

DSC00734.thumb.jpg.4db9b02949bf875aa470b

• Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

8 hours ago, ElainaA said:

Tonight: I am cooking my way through a Christmas present, Lynne Rossetto Kasper's The Italian Country Table.  Bruschetta with seasoned ricotta, oven roasted tomatoes, red onion, parsley, olive oil and oregano (Sicilian Farmer's Bruschetta). Also what  she calls "Tuscan Mountain Supper" -  dried beans cooked with tomato, sage, onion, parsley and garlic served with a salad of bitter greens and red onion (in this case endive and radicchio and a little romaine just to cut the bitterness). I added a bit of cappicola to the salad - just because. The salad and beans are to be eaten together and that really worked - the salad cut the richness of the beans, the beans balanced the bitterness of the salad. The beans were, again, from my garden - seeds I got from Johnny's on clearance labeled "Italian shell beans". I'm not sure what variety the really are but they tasted really good.

DSC00729.thumb.jpg.451e78b892bb28c561191

DSC00730.thumb.jpg.8d6209e9495daa595f7b0

These are the beans I used (before cooking). They look a lot like pinto beans to me....

DSC00734.thumb.jpg.4db9b02949bf875aa470b

Borlotti beans perhaps ...?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sartoric said:

Borlotti beans perhaps ...?

3 hours ago, shain said:

Seems right to me. 

I think they probably are. I wasn't sure because I have grown borlotti beans in the past and they looked like this: white and red rather than brown and red. Googling images, it seems borlotti are beans of many colors. 

56d6dd6e764b4_borlotti2copy.jpg.9286fecd

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2008/08/fresh-stewed-borlotti-beans/  Picture from Italian Food Forever

The recipe on this site (where I got the picture) is very similar to the recipe I used. Add garlic and subtract celery and carrot.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 3

Elaina, your meals are always so pretty.  And, you've inspired me to someday (dare I say maybe this summer) plant some beans like yours.

SV KC strip, mushrooms in butter with some garlic chive that has emerged from it's winter sleep (waaaaaaay early) salad and taters.

56d6fc8f680f0_photo1.jpg.4c92ecb379410ab

56d6fc9aaf009_photo2.jpg.f05382ab8b69684

56d6fca28cfcd_photo3.jpg.cce4820e277b973

56d6fca99a6b3_photo4.jpg.7cc15c80e4eb115

• Like 15

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

ni9ce SV  @Shelby 

that's one delicious looking dinner !

smiley-money-mouth.gif.0d698ac8392e473a8

what were the times and temps for the SV ?

Thank you :)  My red meat intake has risen considerably lol.

128F for about 2 hours...maybe 2 1/2 hours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ElainaA said:

I think they probably are. I wasn't sure because I have grown borlotti beans in the past and they looked like this: white and red rather than brown and red. Googling images, it seems borlotti are beans of many colors. 

56d6dd6e764b4_borlotti2copy.jpg.9286fecd

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2008/08/fresh-stewed-borlotti-beans/  Picture from Italian Food Forever

The recipe on this site (where I got the picture) is very similar to the recipe I used. Add garlic and subtract celery and carrot.

If you have more of those beans, I encourage you to try them in pasta è fagioli (with rosemary, celery, loads of black pepper. Puree half the beans and drizzle good sharp evoo). Those beans are just perfect for this dish and has such a beautiful tan color when cooked.  After first tasting it made with them in Bellagio, I no longer make it with any other kind. 

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

@Shelby  Thank you! And, if you grow  regular Beans (string beans - although aren't most varieties string-less there days?) you can grow beans for drying. It is actually easier because you don't have to worry about harvesting them before they get tough - you just leave them on the plant until the pods dry our. I'm trying Tongue of Fire this year as well as my favorite, coco noir. 

• Like 3

Home for a couple of days so I made a cross-rib roast.  Seasoned with Sansaire Steak Aging Sauce and Montreal Steak Rub, then sous vide for 24 hours at 130F.  Seared with the Sansaire Searing Kit and served with corn and salad. It was tender and tasted like Prime Rib, but only $3.99/lb!

cross-rib2.jpg.2d34fce3f5d6dc789cd20f255

cross-rib2-p.jpg.03b3d92b2569336d0f95850

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz   

nice  very nice  not so much the celery

but still nice

BTW :  after a @username

I get the Bold Type and I can't get rid of it

just saying

Somehow I knew you were going to dis the celery!  Just saying...

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I am within a group of people, who likes to cook together, I would love to share some of our dishes with you: horse carpaccio with avocado cream, truffle and rocket. horse is so much underestimated!

IMG_1707.JPG

• Like 6

A crumbed lamb loin chop, pan fried with sage leaves and onion. Served with potato and cauliflower mash (very good) and fresh tomato and chilli sauce. Horseradish on the side.

image.thumb.jpeg.863dcc2220d3147a385518b

• Like 11