• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

A simple noodle soup with chicken and snow peas. The stock was chicken with a boost of miso and wakame. Some

rehydrated shiitakes, a hard boiled egg, sliced spring onions and coriander to garnish.

image.thumb.jpeg.32db8eab89d2d29c0049387

• Like 11

I decided to make skillet biscuit bread for the fist time to go with leftover broccoli cheese soup for dinner tonight.

I was worried about it, and wondered if I should just make savory flour pancakes or corn pancakes, which I already knew how to do successfully. Finally, my sense of adventure and craving for "Cheddar Bay" Red Lobster biscuits won out, and I gave it a whirl. As I anticipated, it's easy to burn the area that contacts the cast iron skillet. I learned a lot, they were edible for the most part, and rose so high they contacted the lid I used on the skillet. This was another thing I was worried about from reading online stuff about skillet biscuits, and that turned out to be a non-issue. I'm glad I did it, because with the ambient 79 degree F temp, preheating the oven and baking biscuits would have made for an uncomfortable evening without A/C.

Next time I think I will use my triple-ply bottom stainless chicken fryer, and not cook them so long. I was afraid the middle wouldn't cook all the way through, but I managed to dry them out somewhat by overcompensating.

I also may try to steam some biscuit dough. I love my fluffy dumplings cooked on top of a stew or gravy. I just need to figure out a way to do it without the gravy element. I know just putting the dough on top of my stainless steamer basket will cause it to expand down through the holes of the basket. Maybe oiled parchment in the basket? I'm determined to learn how to cook fluffy biscuits well without my oven.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Beautiful, @BonVivant. I've never cooked sole.

Seafood here too, though. Went to my favourite fish shop and bought a fine specimen of the great Australian mud crab. And dispatched him into the next world in 4 tablespoons of roasted black pepper, curry leaves, chilli, roasted shrimp paste and butter. (And also oyster sauce, garlic, shallots, taucheo sauce, chicken stock powder and sugar.)

Note my favourite Asian food packaging of the week.

crab4.jpg.40576c895a9267918ad6163c796cb9

crab5.jpg.ebba5bb6864c2296adb1d39c64e5e7

crab1.jpg.2bea99ad9c800ef5c951940de532e8

crab2.jpg.3ca04d0e0b52df48fb0cf9668ee4f1

crab3.jpg.b0a9671d1e93bfefb3d96e31968d97

• Like 13

I love belacan (and Macanese Balichão)!

Prawn prices in OZ are quite reasonable (for us here who pay for most things through the nose). Wish I had access to good, fresh shellfish. North Sea brown crabs are plentiful here but unfortunately I'm severely allergic to them.

Edited by BonVivant (log)

Dinner tonight was a disaster. I just got everything chopped and was ready to go when I discovered that the residential area where I live has lost all water supplies. At first, I thought it was just me, but I checked with neighbours. A friend who lives a couple of blocks away still has supplies, so it seems to be a very local problem.

Luckily, I have plenty of beer and wine. I'll survive!

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Farro Soup

A mirepoix was the start, I cooked the Farro separate with Bay garlic and Onion and combined the cooking liquid with a Killer gel stock and finished with "Slap yo Momma" ..hot sauce

IMG_8425.thumb.JPG.8c26f236cfd02c8d2a740

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Shelby, chicken livers are a favourite.  Now I have a craving thanks to you.   Not always easy to find here though.

Boules%20and%20Baguettes%20March%2010th%

Baked eight small boules and eight small baguettes on Thursday.

Tuna%20sandwich%20March%2010th%2C%202016

Dinner plans changed and we ended up having just a tuna sandwich on one of the fresh baked buns. 

• Like 13

Sartoric, lovely noodle bowl.  You might want to put that on the Ramen cook off thread?

Hungrychris, Your scallops always look perfect.  

RRO, jealous of your seafood.  Would love to see more pictures sometime.

Ann, I'll trade you livers for your bread :)  Now I'm hungry for a tuna sandwich! 

SV BBQ pork sandwiches on homemade white bread last night.  My pickles that I made last summer on the side.  Gotta get a move on and eat 'em up...'bout time for more cucumbers :)

photo.JPG.43901ba351baa8c98cd124930c3dbb

• Like 13

Pasta with prawns and samphire. Cream is the sauce. Samphire goes well with cream, and not tomato sauce.

VSwfAaT.jpg

Host's note: this popular topic is broken into segments to reduce the load on our servers; click here for the next installment.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 8