• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

xD  Poodles.  LOVE it!

How long did you cook the poodles to get them done?  Did you do them in a skillet with butter?  

I actually cooked them in the microwave.  It was one very large parsnip, weighed a little over a pound.  Cooked them for 6 minutes.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@huiray, the eggs with Chinese chives look wonderful, in particular. And what is taucheo kamkeong, which I am trying to type from memory and think I just screwed up? Are those peanuts on top?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It got up to 77 degrees Fahrenheit today, so it was time to fire up the grill! I built a smaller charcoal fire than I would for steaks, and had barely thawed out the big salmon steaks. They still had ice crystals in them and were slightly stuck together, but that was okay. I don't like to have thawed fish hanging around in the fridge. I gently separated the steaks under running cold water, and rubbed them with olive oil. I just used salt and pepper. I thought about dill or rosemary or thyme, but decided to let the fresh fish stand on it own, and this turned out to be a fine option. I kept thinking they were done, but I was only getting a 120 F reading on my meat thermometer. I pulled them anyway, and they were cooked perfectly. They were almost a pound a piece, so we have leftovers for tomorrow's dinner, which will be served cold. I don't want to risk overcooking it. Salmon is such a rich and delicious fish. It must be cooked on its bones with its skin to please me.

I served North Carolina sweet potatoes baked in the microwave, and spinach with a little garlic, whole milk and cheddar cheese melted in. Afterward I roasted a few marshmallows over the dregs of the coals. I managed to get them puffed and melted, but perhaps not as toasty brown as I would have liked since I built such a small fire.

This was a most satisfying first cookout of the year. I am so glad to say goodbye to another winter.

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

rotuts – re: the celery – that’s why it’s on the side like that.  I actually like celery a lot – just to crunch a stick of it with salt or PB, but I don’t care for it in salads, but Mr. Kim does, so I serve it on the side.:D

Suzi – I LOVE your white trash dinner!  I would enjoy that tonight in place of my leftovers (I really don’t care for leftovers for dinner – though I can eat the same sandwich for lunch every day for a week!)

kayb – that corn looks great!  What’s your secret?

Norm – I like the look of your gravy.  How do you make it?

Shelby – oh, my DEAR!  Chicken liver – FRIED!:x  I adore them, but no one else does, so I never make them.  Yours look so perfect!

Last night I tried a new recipe from Cooking Light magazine for Honey-Lime Drumsticks w/ snow peas and brown rice:

DSCN1409.JPG.7e68782fe7e5bff9857245575b4

DSCN1408.JPG.e005f122ba27218e50487154c3e

The sauce for the drumsticks included soy sauce, honey, oil, ginger, lime juice and garlic and was incredibly flavorful.  I will certainly be making this one again.  We decided that it would be good with pork tenderloin, too.  The rice mixture had some of the lime rind in it, but was still a little bland.  I added some ponzu sauce and that helped a lot.  The snow peas were the fresh steam-in-the-bag type and the steaming worked just fine, but every single snow pea had a hard string and had to be ‘de-strung’ on the plate.  Extremely irritating. >:(

• Like 12

Tonight: Marcella Hazan's "Thin beef steaks with olives and tomatoes" with pasta with garlic,oil and parsley. And a salad, of course. This a favorite dinner for both my husband and myself.

DSC00790.thumb.jpg.f832e71f904f131193684

Last night: Corn, tomato and potato soup and a salad with cannellini beans, tuna, radicchio and celery with a parsley vinaigrette. This was the last of the corn that I froze last summer. Now it will be months before i have really good corn again.:(

DSC00782.thumb.jpg.9e1ad07603ec0de46e0a5

DSC00780.thumb.jpg.35ed9bd56e252ff9d825e

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

rotuts – re: the celery – that’s why it’s on the side like that.  I actually like celery a lot – just to crunch a stick of it with salt or PB, but I don’t care for it in salads, but Mr. Kim does, so I serve it on the side.:D

Kim, I don't like sliced celery in a mixed tossed salad either usually, but it's a must in Waldorf salad. One time, when we were broke and my usually brimming produce drawers were down to the last dregs, I made a salad of mainly thinly sliced celery. Celery is very long-lasting, and I guess that's why they use its natural nitrate extracts in "uncured" processed meats. I just added some thinly sliced onion (also long- lasting) and vinaigrette from ingredients in the pantry and maybe dried oregano, I think. I mixed everything up and let it marinate while I prepared the rest of the dinner. It was really surprisingly good for a desperation dish. xD(Sorry rotuts.)

Lovely meals all, and @scubadoo97your coleslaw looks especially interesting. Coleslaw can be dismal or just boring, depending on who makes it. Not yours. I have not thought of using red pepper in it, but it's a good idea I shall keep in mind.

Tonight's dinner was the leftover charcoal-grilled salmon from last night and broccoli cheese soup. The soup was made with the giant leek (I used the green parts too), a couple stalks of celery chopped , and a small carrot grated and sauteed in butter, then removed from the pot. I made a roux with flour, butter, black pepper and a touch of nutmeg, then added chicken broth and added the trinity back in and stirred until it simmered and thickened. Added the finely chopped broccoli and simmered for four minutes while still stirring. Then I added milk, the grated cheddar, a little Chardonnay and brought back to a bare simmer. Finished with quite a few drops of Tabasco sauce. Very good, and so was the salmon even cold.

The instant I had trimmed the root end off the leek, I thought of my scallions on the deck which have wintered over and were raised from the root ends of purchased scallions last spring. I should have not trimmed it so closely, but I planted it anyway. How cool would it be to have leek shoots on the deck to harvest?

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn) is a dish available in almost every small restaurant, work or school canteen etc. It is stir fried pork slices with green peppers. The relatively large peppers function more as a vegetable than a spice, and although they are usually mild, you may occasionally get a surprise.

Tonight I made a variation on that

56e2b9cd76e03_donkeywithgreenpeppers.jpg

This is stir fried donkey with green peppers. The meat was marinaded in Shaoxing wine and corn starch, then I added some chopped red peppers for a bit of heat. There is also garlic, coriander leaf and Chinese chives in there. Served with rice.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo  

did you do the D.L> in the CSB ?

i have a Fz duck waiting its instructions.

your Dl looks like the CkThighs Ive done in the CSB, but much tastier

No - actually I did them in my regular oven; 275  for 2+ hours.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Last night was pizza with black olives, minced red pepper and some sauce.  i put a few dried herbs(oregano, basil and parsley) in the crust flour.  For me ... some 3 cheese mix.

Tonight will be bison burgers on toasted English muffins.  Johnnybird has requested a thin layer of aged cheddar, sweet relish, mixed greens and a bit of ketchup.  I want well done bacon, a thin layer of cheddar, tomato and the mixed greens with a bit of Cain's mayo.  Mr. Ron's coleslaw for me and potato salad for John I made with hard boiled eggs, minced shallot and the dressing of Cain's and an Italian vinaigrette I made.

With the extra bison made a small smooch that John can eat on for breakfast or lunch this weekend.

Just pulled half a capon from Quattro's in Pleasant Valley NY.  Sunday I plan on roasting it with mixed root veg and herbs.  The asparagus seems to look OK and at a reasonable price so maybe that to go with the bird.  Will be able to make stock and then soup for next week.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Last night I made a lasagna with homemade noodles, leftover red sauce, mozzarella,  and fresh spinach layers.  Served with sauteed fresh spinach and salad.  I didn't have lot of sauce, so it wasn't very wet and some of the exposed noodles on top dried out and were kind of like pita chips  Not exactly normal for lasagna, but it was good!

lasagna.jpg.fc21acd42f7ccc02488a937dce0b

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Got thinking about tapas upthread and the itch needed to be scratched. Got home from work and got to work. Started with chickpeas and spinich, stuffed mini peppers with diced green olives, red peppers and Gruyere cheese, Manchego would have been nice but didn't have it.  Tuna poached in olive oil and a fennel, arugula and orange salad.  Made an aioli and add it to a toasted baguette to go with the meal and added it to white beans held for tomorrow 

image.jpeg

• Like 9