• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

In the meantime I will continue shooting stuff that looks like testicles, and not the canine kind... :)

#reallynotafoodstylist

What meat did you get off the pheasants? I am impressed it managed to make those pies :) What else was in them?

• Like 1

Tere, just from the legs. I got a kilo of just legs. 4 went in the cassoulet (photos posted a couple of pages back) and the rest in the pies. There was a lot of meat on those legs. To make it more substantial you could add cubed potatoes (I used swede and parsnip, amongst other things). Also add some flour and butter to thicken it. Herbs would be nice if you have any on hand. Cover with puff pastry (don't forget the egg wash) and bake in the oven til golden brown. Removing the meat from the legs took me the most time. It was worth it.

• Like 2

Strange day today.  We ended up having dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner.

Baked some Irish Waterford Blaa rolls earlier in the day and since they are often used for a bacon sandwich

Waterford%20Blaa%20with%20%20Wiltshire%2

I decided to use some Irish Wiltshire Bacon Rashers that I had on hand to make Moe a bacon and egg sandwich.

• Like 18

7 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Somehow I knew you were going to dis the celery!  Just saying...

Celery , peas, lima beans, and beans in general are on the no-fly list

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Celery , peas, lima beans, and beans in general are on the no-fly list

I can't have milk products and I don't like most of them anyway.  But if I commented every time someone posted something with cheese, it would get tedious very quickly.  Just sayin...    9_9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.thumb.jpeg.de5fd8c44e5de4102d67070

Took a doggy bag home from lunch at Thai Coconut.  Shrimp on pillows of rice in a mild curry sauce and crispy chicken bits with green beans.   Reheated in the Breville Smart Oven but would have been so much better in the  Cuisinart Steam  Oven. xD

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I can't have milk products and I don't like most of them anyway.  But if I commented every time someone posted something with cheese, it would get tedious very quickly.  Just sayin...    9_9

Yes, it would.

• Like 1

The leftover crab meat from crab legs went into the fridge, and a couple of days later I combined it with some shrimp in a seafood au gratin dish, with some asparagus. Only dinner I've cooked all week.

56d84d5e7922e_seafoodgratin.thumb.jpg.8c

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Shelby – your ham and beans look like perfection.  Mine always get so mushy that they are almost a paste.  Care to share the recipe?

Academy Award snacks – Jessica made coconut shrimp dip from a mix she got at the wine expo:

DSCN1377.JPG.facf855e9544efa2dca17d3d7fe

I did crab Rangoon pizza on naan:

DSCN1378.JPG.0fe2596296fa3cf4a1bde9e0126

Slice:

DSCN1380.JPG.c65a2b0e0630d798ff2f96ef9c3

Totally ersatz dish, but we happen to adore crab Rangoon.  This was good, but no better than actual crab Rangoon.  The crust was naan, which will be my go-to pizza crust for quick pizza from now on.

The roast beef is still not gone.  Dinner night before last:

DSCN1383.thumb.JPG.7a4e4779ce37139bf19a9

Stew-ish dish.  Sigh.  The cauliflower was really nice, though:

DSCN1384.JPG.567713c1a576d2c1ff0e5ec9f85

• Like 12

@Kim Shook

Hi!  Oh my ham and beans is nothing fancy.  This time I did them in the Instant Pot pressure cooker for about 50 mins on high using the natural release method.  Maybe I did 55 mins......  Anyway, they turned out perfect that way.  I also do them on the stove at times.  I let 'em cook for hours....like 4??  5??  We like the beans good and done, but not disintegrated. Either way here's a rough recipe:

Beans

Ham and/ or ham bone

Beef broth

Chopped:

Onion

Peppers (bell or something spicier if you wish...I used Hatch Chiles)

Carrots

A couple sections of grated garlic or powdered

Can of good variety diced tomatoes (I used a quart of my home canned ones)

Bay leaf

Lawry's Salt

Pepper

Saute onions, peppers and carrots in a knob of butter.  Season that with some salt and pepper.  Toss everything else in and bring to a boil.  Reduce and let simmer and simmer until done :)  Or see above for pressure cooker instructions.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2016 at 3:40 PM, mgaretz said:

Somehow I knew you were going to dis the celery!  Just saying...

hey....some of us are actually allergic/sensitive to celery.......

and melons ....and chamomile .... and other things especially at certain times of the year

oops ... didn't read all the way to the end but ....pardon me

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

roasted two chicken breasts for sandwiches for Johnnybird as he is off to NYC for another concert(3rd in 1 week).

tried a new take on an old recipe ... sun dried tomatoes and ground turkey meatballs.

baked them and then served in a marinara sauce with some pasta.   STILL can't taste or or smell anything.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Waldorf salad with seeds, pan-roasted potatoes and turkey confit. Milk rice with amarena cherries as dessert (I tried taking a separate photo of it but that thing is very hard to capture nicely, at least for my non-existent photography skills xD But hey, maybe some Klingons will get nostalgic :D)

25375640882_a774847045.jpg

White bean soup with sprouted lentils

25382832321_f210599255.jpg

• Like 9

Vlcatko

I've been away for a few days, eating in piss-poor roadside shacks. Nothing interesting to report. Got back tonight, tired and hungry.

Rustled up a sort of a meal from what I had in the larder/fridge/freezer. I had managed to grab a bunch of asparagus on the way.

hmmm.thumb.jpg.f16037e6f224c3c45183e7109

Basically a chicken, mushroom, asparagus stir fry with shallots, coriander leaf and bird's eye chilli - finished with a little cream and served with spaghetti.

Not haute cuisine, but tasted better than it may look.

Serious food shopping tomorrow!

P.S. I just sat down to eat, then got a message. There is something I've been very, very worried about for a couple of months (I won't go into details), but the message confirmed that I had been worrying about nothing, or had managed to avert what would have been a personal catastrophe. So, my humble dinner was washed down with a bottle of Champagne, all to myself. Happy, happy boy!

• Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.thumb.jpeg.c498201f0c9618eeae15dad

Chicken vegetable soup  with hunks of Parmesan rind.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56d99e302c5a9_shortribs.thumb.JPG.8462a6

Short ribs rubbed down with gochujang and cooked sous vide for 72 hours at 135 F. Refrigerated for a couple of days, then seared in a hot oven with a galbi sauce. With rice and stir-fried broccoli.

The gochujang, surprisingly, doesn't impart a great deal of its heat to the ribs. They have a tingle, but aren't fiery. The galbi (a commercial brand I picked up at the international market) was a nice counterpoint. Although they were good, I continue to fail to see the amazing properties many attribute to short ribs; I can't make a lot of difference between them and a good chuck roast.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I continue my exploration of Lynne Rossetto Kasper's The Italian Country Table. (I do have a tendency to become obsessed with a cookbook. This particular obsession is making my very Italian husband very, very happy. 9_9) Last night was "Baking Day Chicken" (in this book  many recipes have less than clearly descriptive names) which is chicken thighs rubbed with herbs, garlic,onion, chopped endive and olive oil, allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight then baked with sweet red pepper, tomato, olives and white wine. Chicken broth and more white wine added to the pan juices and cooked down for a sauce. Very good. Some potatoes simmered in white wine, water and herbs to go with it. And a salad. We just about always have a salad.

DSC00744.thumb.jpg.d41de733255c233ad0e4b

Wednesday night: "Calamari Mixed Grill" - calamari, sweet red pepper (it was supposed to be yellow but the yellow peppers in my supermarket were almost green), red onion, garlic, parsley and hot pepper. It was supposed to be grilled but it was about 15 degrees F here last night so I took the alternative of a sauté pan. This was less successful. The pan was too small so the calamari didn't cook as quickly as it needed to - I should have done it in 2 batches - and got a bit rubbery. I think it also should have had more hot pepper. I made a spinach risotto to go with and, of course, a salad - this time just some greens (endive, radicchio and romaine) and red onion. 

DSC00736.thumb.jpg.7439970fa427952d51428

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

"""     I continue to fail to see the amazing properties many attribute to short ribs; I can't make a lot of difference between them and a good chuck roast.  ""

well, you get to gnaw on the bone w ribs ?  spare ribs even more so.

• Like 1

Various meals.

Leftover poached yellow-skin chicken w/ kai-lan & min6 sin3 in chicken stock.

DSCN8264a_600.jpg.d6322e3d936ad84c1283e8

Inbumie Penang White Curry Mee (a form of instant ramen) w/ Laughing Bird shrimp, kangkong, Vietnamese mint, deep-fried shallots.

DSCN8271a_600.jpg.c28125eb58caf2b14400d1

Cantonese-style pan-fried Hong Kong style egg noodles w/ Chinese celery, scallions, sliced beef, shrimp (Laughing Bird), plus this-and-that; with various sauces in the creation of the overall sauce.

DSCN8275-80_cC_600.jpg.adea367dfd2fb4355

DSCN8289c_800.jpg.6dc0acdfdbf013de5d272a

Fish balls, tofu, Shanghai Bok Choy, garlic in chicken stock soup.

DSCN8300b_600.jpg.6b43e708a51361af686580

Chee Cheong Fun w/ a savory-sweet sauce & scallions.

DSCN8304a_600.jpg.e4d8bfe0b283306bdd4232

Tarentaise cheese eaten w/ fresh baguette bread.

DSCN8292a_600.jpg.aa60280624571d488e2440

DSCN8297a_800.jpg.36d39d174e56298d1ef9f2

"See Yau Kai" (Soy Sauce chicken), from a local Chinese grocery (made in-house). Chinese spinach blanched in oiled simmering water, dressed w/ oyster sauce & white pepper. White rice.

DSCN8310a_600.jpg.665b1f4af7d2a9310606d4

"Hung Siew Ngau" (Red-cooked beef) from a local Chinese grocery (made in-house) over white rice. "Big-head" bean sprouts (soy bean sprouts) stir-fried w/ scallions.

DSCN8315a_600.jpg.c02a164df006179f3404b6

Pork wontons w/ skinny wonton noodles & blanched spinach & fried shallots, in a chicken stock based wonton broth.

DSCN8321a_600.jpg.131f686daeb649d292e545

DSCN8324a_600.jpg.2e61e5035802d4ea4afb13

"Lap Cheong" (standard Chinese sausages) cooked w/ white rice & deep-fried shallots. Scallions.

Soup, w/ fuzzy squash & dried Chinese "porcini" mushrooms in chicken stock.

DSCN8325a_600.jpg.0ee1f29f7a5f428b1d77a7

DSCN8330a_600.jpg.32678eeedb5ce80a38e2fd

DSCN8331b_600.jpg.d63ad0498ef2a6494eadf6

Short-cut pork spare ribs steamed w/ sliced tea flower mushrooms, "syut choy" (a form of preserved mustard greens), julienned ginger, garlic, hot Thai red chillies, white pepper, oil, this-and-that. Stir-fried kai-lan w/ Shaohsing wine splashed into the very hot pan. White rice.

DSCN8344a_600.jpg.b3cd5e1bef2a7a6d765048

DSCN8349a_600.jpg.fb6c425095116993126f9f

DSCN8353a_600.jpg.1d0dff5608c8eb67ad0c6b

If details are desired email me.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11