• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

On 19. 2. 2016 at 9:36 PM, sartoric said:

Hey  Vicatko, I made the cold oil fries last night too. What a great method, they will be cooked again !

Heheh, the story of how eGullet spreads cooking methods "normal people" have never heard of ;) Yeah, I will be making them again too! The taters I used in that first try were way past their best and I was in a bit of a rush too so I think they will be even better next time...

50 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Never thought of skewering a wedge of cabbage to roast it. Not a bad idea!

It was a bit tricky (I am a big klutz and I was afraid of an accident) to skewer/slice but worked well - I would love to try it with those baby cabbages I sometimes see - so the skewer could go through all the layers, even the middle ones. This way (I skewered the side of a regular head in three places then sliced parallel to the skewers and finally sliced that into three - the piece in the picture is from the middle) I lost few of the inner layers (which I promptly ate, rather than try to reskewer the pieces)...

• Like 2

Vlcatko

23 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

All those meals look delicious, @gfweb. Great shakshuka.

All I could muster the energy for tonight was an egg; or, more specifically, kimi no shoyuzuke - it's a Japanese way to marinate raw egg yolks for three days in soy and mirin. The marinating cures the yolk and changes the texture to something unctuous, luscious and almost chewy. Not cooked, not raw - something in between. Perfect on hot rice. Perfect for a tired and hungry girl.

kimi.jpg.e8d0e811e65cf7169181e70f4292ba4

Martin Benn does an extreme version of this which cures the egg with salt and sugar for five days and then takes the yolk and dries it in the refrigerator for five days.  This removes all the water from the egg (cures it) and allows you to grate it over dishes  as a garnish (am sure soy and mirin would have the same effect).

• Like 4

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

14 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

So what was your first impression of the canned corned beef Vlcatko? Your treatment of it looks crispy and good to me.

It's a pantry staple for me because we're subject to prolonged power outages from hurricanes and ice storms. It's always good to have non-perishable proteins around in case of emergency. I usually don't have to eat it cold out of the can, thankfully. I have a favorite recipe from a can of Libby's brand from years ago with sauteed cabbage, celery, onion, Swiss cheese, milk, caraway seeds and noodles or macaroni. Tastes sort of like a Reuben if you use your imagination.

It was quite salty but much less so than Spam (my previous can-experiment). I bought the "chunky" variety at M&S and there was a good amount of chunks - so much so that it was a tad tricky to slice and fry, I liked that. Taste wise - can't be sure if I prefer it cold (please don't judge me ;)) - with good bread and mustard, or crisped up - I liked it both ways :) I agree it is a good backup if you can't get out for some time - I always have a few cans of pork pieces and duck confit as a backup... Now I wonder how the non-can version tastes, but no idea where to get to it here...

• Like 2

Vlcatko

This doesn't look great, I know, but it tasted just fine. Bought a sea bass and filleted it. Pan fried the fillets and served with couscous, capers, black olives and lemon zest. Added some sun dried tomatoes. There was also a side salad of mixed green leaves. Should have photographed that instead but I was in hurry to get that crisp fish skin which I love. This was my second helping.

56cc4d8138d79_seabasscouscous2.jpg.7538d

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bad pictures, good sandwiches lol.

SV top round roast that I brined...(see the SV thread for more) and of course, fries.  Lots of horseradish and provolone cheese on there, too.  Oh and some caramelized onions.

P2221167.JPG.799707bcfeffcec1351302bc10cP2221169.JPG.7a92ab6a996278d7a4fbd35c92b

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 16

Some recent meals.

Fish & tofu soup. Beef, straw mushrooms & young garlic shoots (蒜苗) stir-fry. White rice.

DSCN8159-63_C_600.jpg.4ed5082009a3eb5c7a

Pork spare ribs congee.

DSCN8185a_600.jpg.c2175afd030e9cc989b278

Chicken & Thai basil in chicken stock soup. Stinky tofu, chopped garlic & garlic shoots stir-fry. White rice.

DSCN8215-19_C_600.jpg.f49267574fa19b608e

Fuzzy squash & wood-ear fungus in chicken stock soup. Kangkong & fermented tofu stir-fry. Cantonese roast duck [Asia mart]. White rice.

DSCN8232-36-38_C_800.thumb.jpg.050aff5f3

• Like 13

Monday, Feb 22, 2016, was the 15th and officially last day of CNY celebrations. I've always known it by the Hokkien name, Chap Goh Meh (in transliteration).

Pork spare ribs, garlic, fuzzy squash, har mai soup.

DSCN8247b_800.jpg.ffcd47cb7f778f3e3f90e0

Poached yellow-skin chicken. Ginger, scallions, sea salt, some ajinomoto in the poaching liquid. The feet were detached for convenience but cooked in the same pot and plated as well.

DSCN8251b_800.jpg.a40b65332a891efd440e1a

I get these distinctly YELLOW-skin chickens from my local Chinese grocery. They source them from a New York supplier. Tasty birds. Not cheap. The largest ones I've seen top out at around 4 lbs. This one was just over 3 lbs.

Tea Flower mushrooms slow-braised w/ white fermented tofu (白腐乳) & garlic. Wong nga pak added in at the very last.

DSCN8253a_600.jpg.b52cb6e1fb656c9179424b

Overview.

DSCN8262b_800.jpg.9b4f22e915b9efb9ed8e1f

The rice was cooked w/ the poaching stock with lots of the quite-yellow rendered fat. Plus a bowl of the poaching stock sans fat, w/ coriander leaves.

• Like 18

image.thumb.jpeg.9c5191fa9a765a718ea09f3

Purely comfort food. Basmati rice, two poached eggs and some of Suvir's tomato chutney.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

While it cannot hold a candle to @liuzhou and @huiray's authentic Asian meals, here's a Southernized-Americanized version of okonomiyaki and fried rice.

56cca2639e92b_okonomiyakinfriedrice.thum

Didn't remember to take a pic until I was in the process of eating, thus the "used" fork. 

Also had cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar, ginger, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil, but forgot to add them to the plate. :S

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, kayb said:

Grouper is possibly my favorite fish in the world; I brought some back when we were on the Gulf coast last fall. I love to just pan-saute it, with salt and pepper, and finish off with a little bit of lemon butter. Wild rice and sweet peas are my preferred accompaniment.

You seldom see grouper in the stores in Mid-America; does it not freeze well?

It's so rare to see it out West I've only bought it fresh.  But the flesh is fairly firm so I think it might freeze o.k., yet fresh is always best.

Came home very late and very hungry so I had to have something quick - reheated the leftover duck stock from Saturday that I was keeping more as an ingredient than an actual dish, while it was getting warm I boiled the last of my homemade noodles and I added a poached yolk for some extra richness...

25110343232_2aa8b262c6.jpg

I might have eaten three more slices of that crusty Italian loaf while I was waiting...

• Like 15

Vlcatko

Bought a deboned turkey "thigh" (the package said thigh but from the size and shape, it must have been a drumstick) - played with it a little bit and separated all the muscles - the nice intact and plump ones went into the fridge with some salt and will be confited later, the too thin ones were cut into thin strips and marinated for tomorrow and the rest went into a "stock baggie" and these baked nuggets. Served with tzatziky and romaine with creme fraiche dressing seasoned with paprika. The wine was local, a new one for us and we were pleasantly surprised - all in all it was a great evening :)

24943323080_b9767d4090.jpg.

• Like 6

Vlcatko

Nachos supreme with black beans, cheddar and smoked chipotle sauce, tomatoes, pickled jalapeno, onion, coriander. Iv'e placed the sour cream and guacamole in the center of the dish after baking (there are almost no chips beneath it), it gave the dish a much more "organized" look than I intended, nachos should be a kind of messy looking dish, IMO, it;s part of what gives it this junky-delicious appeal. Should have also placed the cheese on top for the same reason :)

That's said, it was delicious!

20151212_192550.jpg.70630eda8e322f7ed01320151212_192600.jpg.f0b18489dc7dd589614c

• Like 10

~ Shai N.