• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Shelby,

I did snicker when you said "trudge downstairs".  That is exactly what I must do when it occurs to me that a rotisserie chicken should be on the menu!   I do wish there was room to keep the rotisserie on the counter  where I know it would get much more use. 

Anna, you don't have your rotisserie conveniently at hand in the bedroom?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna, you don't have your rotisserie conveniently at hand in the bedroom?

Hate to break the news to you but the bedrooms are in the basement!   I acquired the rotisserie because my daughter had no place to keep it. AND  I just came across a whole chicken in my freezer, the one that's upstairs, that I didn't know I had.  Guess I will need to work it into the meal plan that I always intend to make but never have.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Geez it's been hot. In the relative cool morning I roasted some pumpkin and sweet potato with rosemary. They went into a mixed salad, with leftover roast chicken, rocket, spinach, "sweet berry" truss tomatoes, seed bread croutons and fried haloumi. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ea518a38fe333e586a16ff2

• Like 14

I am in awe of the meals I see posted here, and thus seldom post any of mine.  Tonight however, I thought our meal was good enough to post.  We had duck breast (medium rare, doesn't really look like it in the picture) with a mango/pepper salad in a jalapeño jelly and lime dressing, roasted tarragon potatoes and broccoli with some almonds browed in butter.  

20160216_201318.jpg

• Like 21

@ElsieD That meal is beautiful. Please post more of what you make! One thing I love about this thread is the range from simple to elaborate - its all good.

Tonight, for us, was simple - Roasted butternut squash and apple soup. There are apples cooked and pureed in the soup with roasted squash, onion, cayenne, nutmeg, chicken stock and cream and more raw apples as garnish. And a salad and biscuits. 

DSC00675.thumb.jpg.943c41cb544971820dc2b

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Tonight I made smoked pork loin chops.  They were rubbed with Memphis Dust and then basted with honey and BBQ sauce for about the last 20 minutes of the cook.  Smoked at 225F to an IT of 142F then lightly seared with the Sansaire Searing Torch.  Served with steamed and buttered Brussels Sprouts and white corn (not pictured).

chop-sprouts.jpg.5e89f1d29e1bc69f4cb959f

• Like 18

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I made a pannukakkun recipe for Finnish oven baked pancakes that Deryn shared over on the All Delicious Thing Finnish topic. Details are over there.

I served it with sliced strawberries and bananas on the side. Delicious.

Edited by lesliec
Removed quote at member's request (log)
  • Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

image.thumb.jpeg.115e5a92d32f7a7eaf868e2

Braised lamb shoulder chop with butter beans. I was attempting to recreate a dish my (now deceased) girl friend used to make.  This was not quite it.  I have two more shoulder chops so may try again in the near future.  It is possible of course that my memory deceives me but I recall beans that were luscious with the lamb fat and I believe there were onions in the dish but little else.  Do not recall if she used canned or dried beans. 

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Another day, another banquet. 8 people, 10 dishes to share.

We started with a mixed mushroom soup. Not photographed. Then:

56c48ee29955e_crispskinchicken.jpg.a310d

Crisp Skin Roast Chicken

56c48ea54d324_thaishrimp.jpg.8a9325971f4

Thai Style Deep Fried Whole Prawns

goat.jpg.b1a06ab54801e35075d9f5871531823

Braised Goat with Tofu Skin

56c48ecc59eee_beefwithroots.jpg.a2c3da5d

Beef Casserole

56c48f2fb0ecd_sweetandsourfish.jpg.8b289

Sweet and Sour Fish

roots.jpg.ac438a113d07c3b1efdd33401d0f7f

Mixed Roots (Taro, Daikon, etc)

greens.jpg.eeb26e0cbce706102fd896d637c27

Greens

sweets.jpg.76117dcb058310a3b71a39ffa0d7b

New Year Sticky Rice Sweets

There was also fried rice.

• Like 25

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

KInda Proud how this Pork Culet turned out --  we again  call it a  " Tenderloin "

I did just a bit different but like the result:

Pound the center cut loin

Flour and season -- I used an Italian blend/ S and P

Egg White wash

Now I usually just dredge in Corn Flakes .. this time..  I  Lightly pounded in the Corn Flake topping

Rest 30 mins and Pan fried it

I finished it plain with Mustard and Onion  side of dill pickle  -- to late night for final pic!!   :)

Killer crispy

24995014411_098492d1ad_k.thumb.jpg.8a57d

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 23

Its good to have Morels

A recent breakfast for dinner (using up those gorgeous eggs) started with salad:DSCN1284.JPG.1b5e8f4cef9c4c39d8673e926fd

Ham and cheese omelets, tots and some lovely tangelos:

DSCN1286.JPG.41d3dc2d050dadd408c1ac91011

Valentine’s Day!  Dinner was supposed to start with appetizers, but after our huge potluck lunch at church, we knew we’d never eat appetizers AND our meal, so those got punted for the next day.  Dinner included a really simple mixed green salad and a sourdough baguette:

DSCN1293.JPG.f2f043e47d906477e6b22dae142

DSCN1292.JPG.e0e989f12454cabb61beb59e317

The main course was a Cook’s Illustrated recipe that I found in a new special publication of theirs called “All-Time Best French Recipes”.  It was scallops and mushrooms:

DSCN1296.JPG.4ec04aa32d238233bceca4e4a47

This was fantastic.  We adore scallops and I was a little apprehensive about not doing the classic ‘sear’.  These are actually poached in wine and chicken stock.  Then the mushrooms are sautéed and a cream sauce made.  All of that is poured over the scallops and the whole thing is broiled.  I served this with rice:

DSCN1295.JPG.dfd7dc061a2f1cba5ea6d223286

Dessert was purchased from our favorite cake café.  I had the fresh fruit cake with white cake and frosting:

DSCN1303.JPG.5dfebacbdef518400c86b683d02

Mr. Kim had the salted caramel chocolate cake:

DSCN1304.JPG.33f966c63ecb2c2f8e07f250602

Those cakes are on dinner plates.  Rather large ones, too!

Next night’s dinner was our intended appetizers from Valentine’s Day.  Pickly stuff:

DSCN1299.JPG.10000d31fe66f5627063108e797

Smoked salmon spread and pate:

DSCN1300.JPG.596a80d1ff51ad5afb71de3036b

Cheddar and vegs:

DSCN1301.JPG.f95a4be44d9e5975826f6068ab7

And more cake from the night before (I am still eating this cake)!

• Like 17

In an effort to get more veggies in daily, I'm working on some different preps. Last night, tried a cauliflower and tomato curry (It called for potatoes, but I don't care for potatoes in curry). Recipe is on Epicurious, here. Had it with wild rice salad made with wild rice left over from the night before, and roasted sweet potato wedges with sweet paprika, glazed with a bit of honey. I'd originally planned the cauliflower for a vegetarian main, but decided I wanted some meat, so I did hamburger steaks topped with caramelized onions and gorgonzola dolce.

56c4f5d65f11b_dinner2-16.thumb.JPG.7cabb

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Still too hot to cook, so another chicken salad it is. So glad I roasted that large chicken on the weekend.

A kind of Caesar, with cos lettuce, bacon, grape tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, seed bread croutons and a mayo, red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c33ce99a0a4cced3a1cda23

• Like 13

Wow Franci,  I am positive I could survive on your dinner!  

image.thumb.jpeg.958bb961ab28ce77b312c49

Stamppot meets bubble and squeak meets colcannon. Potatoes, carrots, parsnips, savoy cabbage added to caramelized onions, cooked in Instant pot with some chicken stock, roughly mashed and topped with some previously cooked bacon that I nuked. Lost my favourite potato masher in the effort. Plastic handle disintegrated. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Giant, giant prawns. The biggest I've ever seen, nearly as long as my forearm, end to end - photographed next to my massive cleaver and my old iPhone 5 for scale. Split open and simply grilled with butter and a miso/mirin/ginger glaze, sprinkled with toasted nori and eaten on lamb's lettuce.

prawn2.jpg.eab5819f8151e8308272bd908eabe

prawn1.jpg.2944dcbee70dea26232060531a562

• Like 22
  • Delicious 1

48 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Giant, giant prawns. The biggest I've ever seen, nearly as long as my forearm, end to end - photographed next to my massive cleaver and my old iPhone 5 for scale. Split open and simply grilled with butter and a miso/mirin/ginger glaze, sprinkled with toasted nori and eaten on lamb's lettuce.

prawn2.jpg.eab5819f8151e8308272bd908eabe

prawn1.jpg.2944dcbee70dea26232060531a562

I confess: I had no idea prawns could get so large.  Is this something you pick up at the local fishmonger's shop, or at a standard grocery store?  Or do you have to go down to the wharf - or get them from special friends?

The resulting dinner photo is stunning!  

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wow - that first photo is right out of The Attack of the Killer Prawns!  Luckily, you have the cleaver for self-defense and a phone at the ready to summon the emergency squad if need be!  Amazing!

A much more sedate rainy night supper here.  Soup and grilled cheese:

IMG_2565.thumb.jpg.e6fcfbaed57ba997a4e2e

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I confess: I had no idea prawns could get so large.  Is this something you pick up at the local fishmonger's shop, or at a standard grocery store?  Or do you have to go down to the wharf - or get them from special friends?

The resulting dinner photo is stunning!  

Never seen them this big before myself, but I flirt very shamelessly with my fish shop guy, so he always keeps interesting things to the side for me and texts me when he has something splendid in, like these.

Will Flirt For Fish.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Never seen them this big before myself, but I flirt very shamelessly with my fish shop guy, so he always keeps interesting things to the side for me and texts me when he has something splendid in, like these.

Will Flirt For Fish.

With you on that. I flirt shamelessly with my seafood gal, and she keeps things for me, too.

Will Flirt For Food

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto