• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

4 minutes ago, robie said:

RRO, Wow!  Your salads always look so good!  Do you make or buy your protein components?  The pork belly seems like it could be a lot of work for "just" a salad.

Thank you, @robie! I make it. I buy a big batch of plain, thinly sliced pork belly from a Korean butcher (ssamgyeopsal) and then divide it into freezer bags and make the marinade straight into the bags and freeze them. It marinates while it's freezing. I make a bunch of different flavours, but this one is Vietnamese caramel-style, with lemongrass, caramel sauce, blitzed purple shallots, black pepper, fish sauce, garlic etc. Then in the morning before work, I just take a bag out of the freezer and by the time I get home, it's defrosted. I usually grill it in this copper mesh thing you can see here, straight under the broiler and flip the whole thing once by its handles (because that's easier than individually flipping the pieces with a pair of tongs), and it's all done in 10 minutes. 

grill.thumb.jpg.1fe8ce2b068661657cfc2abf

• Like 15

Must say I have never considered using one of those contraptions under the broiler although I've used them on the outside grill.  Nor have I ever considered popping a rice paper wrapper in the microwave to make a salad bowl.   There is a reason I belong to this community!   Thank you so much.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As I mentioned, I intended using the leftover chicken from yesterday for lunch today, but a better offer came up. So, instead, I made something I don't know how to describe.

I had already started to make stock from the carcass and other parts. I took that, strained it through cheesecloth, then added the following:

56c1ae27b5e87_fulingwolfiporiaextensa.jp

Fuling (Wolfiporia extensa)

56c1adeb390b6_FoxNuts-Euryaleferox.jpg.7

Foxnuts (Euryale Ferox)

56c1ae4ee837d_hyacinthbeans.jpg.769eaca2

Hyacinth Beans

56c1aeb3cbd7a_driedlongan2.jpg.c66731e3f

Dried Longan

56c2be75414eb_gojiberries.jpg.48516098e2

Goji Berries

and garlic

All traditional Chinese soup/medicine items.

I took some dried golden oyster mushrooms and rehydrated them

56c1b1800f62e_GoldenOysterMushroomsrehyd

then added button mushrooms and the chicken meat. Seasoned with salt and chilli flakes and served it (to myself) as a kind of hotpot.

Served it with rice. The final dish didn't look pretty, but tasted just fine. And I've still got the stock for another dish!

Edited by liuzhou
added picture of goji berries (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Had family over for dinner last night.  I roasted three chickens.  Here is one

56c1f22c49eb8_roastchicken.thumb.jpg.0c8

I did not have time to get photos of the rest of the meal, but there were potatoes mousseline, roasted carrots, green beans with almonds, and herbed gravy.  I made stock from the carcasses, and the leftover chicken and gravy will be made into a soup for lunches this week.

I did get a photo of dessert, blueberry pie a la mode:

56c1f2292bada_blueberrypie.thumb.jpg.16d

• Like 17

Oh the things .. I do for my wife!! 

Eggplant Bolognese w/ Shiritaki Noodle 

Brown Mixture of Ground chuck/onions and garlic ( drain ) plus herbs

De glazed with white wine/ reduced / add Tomato Paste / home made jar tomatoes 

I roasted the eggplant @ 450 F diced added to pot and cook additional 30 mins

Happy Valentines dear!!

24737210450_9e66ccd974_k.thumb.jpg.7a6fb

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Healthy dinner, to make up for eating not-so-healthy over the weekend....

tilapia.thumb.JPG.7f9234f058d342f68d1265

Sauteed tilapia in lemon butter; wild rice and steamed sugar snap peas. I don't think there is much better than a steamed fresh sugar snap, even if they are out of season and brought in from who-knows-where.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yesterday, February 14, was Yun Yat (人日), the 7th day of CNY. I celebrated it with Yee Sang (魚生), a.k.a. Lo Hei (撈起)(Cantonese meanings for the characters), the now-traditional dish in the (especially) Malaysian-Chinese & Singaporean-Chinese communities and all other ethnic groups there who join in in the festivities as well. The dish has origins from an old Chaozhou/Teochew dish, brought over by then built on later (reinvented) by the Chinese diaspora.

Before tossing:

DSCN8198a_800.jpg.e2bd5e9f719c354e4c4786

I used sashimi-grade tuna for the raw fish.

After putting everything together and tossing.

DSCN8207c_800.jpg.1d19bd7afa6a1d212db3c6

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 14

40 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:
1 hour ago, huiray said:

After putting everything together and tossing

That looks just beautiful!  Do you follow the tradition of tossing it up in the air?

Yes.

I cleaned up around the plate and wiped off the plate edges before taking the picture. :-) 

• Like 4

@huiray, I wouldn't have taken 'tossing' so literally if @blue_dolphin hadn't asked, so I'm glad the question came up.  I'd love to see that.  The colors are beautiful!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

An Asian chicken curry with elements from Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar and China. I used green papaya as a vegetable, makes a great substitute for potato.

Served with stir fried veggies and steamed rice.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a2c9fada2430a6f3578d16image.thumb.jpeg.2183c91350dc25d0805307b

Can anyone tell me what the green veg below is ? 

I buy seeds from Asian grocers, hubby plants them and throws out the packet.

image.thumb.jpeg.5126f86d6e8065df0955db2

• Like 11

Fish tacos tonight.  Good quality corn tortillas were the inspiration.  Corvina and red snapper from the freezer was  pan seared followed with sautéed sliced onions and smoked tomatoes and topped with thinly sliced cabbage, lettuce and diced tomatoes and Mexican string cheese.  Like an episode of Chopped.  What can I make with what I have in record time 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, sartoric said:

An Asian chicken curry with elements from Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar and China. I used green papaya as a vegetable, makes a great substitute for potato.

Served with stir fried veggies and steamed rice.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a2c9fada2430a6f3578d16image.thumb.jpeg.2183c91350dc25d0805307b

Can anyone tell me what the green veg below is ? 

I buy seeds from Asian grocers, hubby plants them and throws out the packet.

image.thumb.jpeg.5126f86d6e8065df0955db2

Looks a lot like a variety of spinach.  What does it taste like?

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Looks a lot like a variety of spinach.  What does it taste like?

It tastes like mild spinach/rocket/lettuce mixed, a bit bland, it needs strong flavours. It's definitely Asian greens of some description- he remembers throwing the packet out lol.

• Like 2

Tonight, pork and beef meatballs in tomato sauce with linguine

56c3221c3b889_linguinemeatballs.jpg.fd88

The sauce is onions, garlic, anchovy and two types of tomato (common supermarket toms and Italian pomodorini). The meatballs were spiced up with some chilli.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Beautiful steaks, Norm!

Liuzhou, you know I'm a sucker for spaghetti and meatballs.  Could eat that morning, noon and night.

Ronnie brined a chicken over the weekend.  I took it out of the brine and put it in the fridge to dry the skin out a bit yesterday morning.  Then I trudged downstairs and lugged up the rotisserie.  Such a pain to clean up....but such good chicken.  Breaded tomatoes and fried potatoes to go with.

P2151157.JPG.13096e7e79967b0087b950be720

P2151158.JPG.034557bb2e10443feb1e12a73d3

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Then I trudged downstairs and lugged up the rotisserie.  Such a pain to clean up....but such good chicken.  Breaded tomatoes and fried potatoes to go with.

Nothing like it and the price is right. I do believe it to be well worth the effort from time to time, Shelby, and seeing that pic, makes me want to go out and buy a chicken today!

• Like 1

Shelby,

I did snicker when you said "trudge downstairs".  That is exactly what I must do when it occurs to me that a rotisserie chicken should be on the menu!   I do wish there was room to keep the rotisserie on the counter  where I know it would get much more use. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Been playing around  with different alcohols ..in pizza>

This is a 65% Modelo beer ( only liquid ) crust made with AP  flour ..  I find it helps give me a better crumb

Enoki Mushroom cooked in clarified butter, sherry and stock

Bacon is a Costco .. no hormone , Labeled Canadian Bacon

Sauce is arrabbiata

Cook pizza @ 425  6 mins--undressed bottom rack/ dress and cook 12 mins top rack

24437805494_9599b6502d_k.thumb.jpg.2cd43

• Like 7

Its good to have Morels

Been playing around  with different alcohols ..in pizza>

This is a 65% Modelo beer ( only liquid ) crust made with AP  flour ..  I find it helps give me a better crumb

Enoki Mushroom cooked in clarified butter, sherry and stock

Bacon is a Costco .. no hormone , Labeled Canadian Bacon

Sauce is arrabbiata

Cook pizza @ 425  6 mins--undressed bottom rack/ dress and cook 12 mins top rack

24437805494_9599b6502d_k.thumb.jpg.2cd43

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels