• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 2)

rarerollingobject

image.thumb.jpeg.9f93dcf395c67f002775a7a

some times you have to stop being a food snob and accept all the help you can get. This is a steak and mushroom pie from a local retailer. It was amazingly good.  The meat was tender and tasty and the pastry passed muster as far as I'm concerned.   I wish I could've plated it to better advantage.  

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, Paul Bacino said:

Did  :    Abalone crusted in Corn Flakes / Parm Risotto / Green Beans

20160207_083900_24800365662_o.thumb.jpg.

This was a pre tenderized steak

20160206_091737_24832919726_o.thumb.jpg.

Where were these abalones from? I've bought them in the shell like that from an abalone farm in Hawaii (these were small ones) and am curious to know where else they are available. They are also amazing with pasta & garlic...

• Like 2

Fried Stonington Scallops. They looked and smelled so good I bought too many. 1 lb for two would have been plenty, but I bought 1 1/4 lb. I bet the few we had left over will be in an omelet quite soon. My first Caezar Salad was at a place, now long gone, that made it table side and taught me how to make it. I am forever grateful for that lesson!

56bbe4fbab316_CaezarSaladandFriedScallop 

Edited by HungryChris
Comma (log)
  • Like 14

Not a great picture but it's chicken slow cooked in seasoned milk and a recipe called Potatoes Romanoff.  We also had gravy made with mushrooms and the liquid from the chicken and a salad with dressing made with pineapple balsamic vinegar, tamarind glaze, homemade mustard, salt and olive oil. 

DSCN3278_zpshj5xqpvn.jpg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Tere said:

My go to in ice cube form is the fat from the Christmas goose :)

Great idea, Tere! I wish you'd posted it before I froze some duck fat in a pint container, just the other day. Not too late to thaw it and correct that though. Can't wait for duck fat potatoes.

As usual, this thread is an amazing array of top notch, varied and covet-worthy foodstuffs.

After both of us eating on the duck and it's stock for three days, plus a ramen lunch for the husband, I still have a quart of gelatinous duck stock and a pint of duck fat in the freezer. My $13 ducky just keeps on giving.

As excited as I was about the head on/feet on duck, I have to say that I may not buy the Keystone Katie brand again. I went to their website, and sure enough, I was right about the ducks never eating fish or worms or bugs. It certainly wasn't a bad duck, by any means, but I prefer a little gamier, ducky flavor that comes from the a more natural diet. This one was very mild, and tasted like chicken with a duck texture. It was still a great experience, and people who don't like gamy flavors would probably be overjoyed with their ducks.

Tonight I fried up a little one pound pork tenderloin. It was dusted and rubbed with Goya adobe, sage, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and oregano. Both my adobo and chili powder contained salt, so I didn't add any more. After it marinated in its spice robe for a while at room temp during other prep, it was shaken in flour in a recycled produce bag and shallow fried at med-high in a skillet to develop a crust, then a lid was put on, and heat turned to low to sort of steam-fry it like chicken. When it got near 150F core temp, I took off the lid to recrisp for a few minutes. Then pulled, blotted on paper towels, removed towels, tented with foil and rested for a few minutes and sliced.

The tenderloin was served with kabocha squash, brussel sprouts, and cinnamon dusted apple sauce.

About half the tenderloin is left, so it will probably appear at dinner tomorrow thin-sliced in sandwiches along with the other half of the kabocha and french fries.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Tonight, I did a very common dish round these parts. 茄子肉末 (qié zi ròu mò). That is aubergine/eggplant with minced pork, done in the wok.

56bc76840aabd_qieziroumo2.jpg.5b3410892d

The pork is marinated in the usual suspects - garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, chilli flakes. The aubergine is sliced and stir fried. When almost ready, the pork is added along with any remaining marinade and perhaps a splash of water if it's drying out.. S+P. Chinese chives and chopped coriander leaf/cilantro. Eat. Simple Chinese home cooking.

Incidentally, instead of saying "Say Cheese" when taking photographs, the Chinese say "Say Eggplant (茄子 (qié zi))" which has the same result.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Ann_T   

fantastic pizza.  a gift you have.

thank you for posting today.

pleased you didn't post yesterday.    My pizza yesterday came from WalMart.

it was 1/2 off. I would not have been able to 'enjoy' it yesterday had I seen your pic.

that's a 1/2 off loss.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Where were these abalones from? I've bought them in the shell like that from an abalone farm in Hawaii (these were small ones) and am curious to know where else they are available. They are also amazing with pasta & garlic...

These are out of Monteray!!  Red Abalone

http://montereyabalone.com/

I tried to get the ones from Hawaii.. which are black..I believe and larger..but they don't ship Live to anything but inland coastal California ...  These I shipped to my daughter in NM.. and were steaks ( fresh ..never frozen )

I'd love to try live from Hawaii

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Mango and coriander (and green onions, sugar snap peas, radishes, brussel sprouts, broccoli and apple - next time, I think, I will leave out the apple) salad with soy-ginger dressing (grated ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, rice oil, salt)

24931729145_c0969dd5b4.jpg

• Like 11

Vlcatko

The closest Asian market is 40 miles away and the local groceries stock only very basic Asian ingredients - nevertheless I occasionally make an approximation of a meal based on Asian cuisine (or,probably, the Americanization of such).  So last night dinner was a chicken and asparagus stir fry with sesame peanut noodles (no picture). I thought it needed something else so I made some pickled carrots and cucumbers (based on recipes from Barbara Tropp's  China Moon) and wanted some dumplings. Alas, the only dumplings available locally were frozen and did not look promising. OK, I can manage this - except alas, alas - neither local grocery had any wonton wrappers. They both had a nice label under an empty shelf and I was assured that MAYBE they would get some in tomorrow. So what you see here is my first attempt at dumplings made from scratch. I used a recipe from Irene Kuo's The Key to Chinese Cooking - one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. The wrappers are what she calls "hot water dough" - much easier to make and roll out than I expected. The filling was ground pork, scallions, cabbage (just a little because that is all I had) chili sauce with garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce. I followed her instructions for shallow frying - I wish I had steamed them as about half stuck to the pan. But they actually tasted quite good. Served with a dipping sauce of vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and gingerDSC00646.thumb.jpg.c5ac4d0843d24fa9c22cf.

• Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Last night's dinner was ribs made two ways:  Smoked and char-siu style.  Served with roasted parsnips (olive oil, honey, salt and pepper), salad and homemade non-dairy cherry-chocolate-almond ice cream for dessert:

ribs2ways.jpg.77efc6b8b4be01b9f0fcab00f0

ribs2wayp.jpg.95beec412e5598b08f6180570f

cherry-choc-almond.jpg.43d197cf3cf011544

• Like 22

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Beautiful char siu, @mgaretz. With all my love of Chinese cooking, I've never made it..I must give it a go.

Summer in Sydney and hot as hell, so here we have a crispy roast duck salad. With watermelon, pomegranate, the wiltiest, crappiest, most pathetic smithereen of mint, chili, coconut palm sugar, lime juice and deep-fried garlic.

duck.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 16

Rarerollingobject, many thanks! I can't get enough of roe.

---------------

This fish, from Norweigian arctic, needs no more than what is seen here. (plus a lot more crunchy vegs and boiled potatoes, not pictured, however.)

CeeA4aX.jpg

Side view: stuffed with shelled prawns* and bound using butcher's twine.

(*) Made a cup of broth from the prawn shells and drank it all whilst I was putting everything on the plate.

UWVogo9.jpg

Front view. Enormous flakes. The loin is thick and long (500g), which I then sliced in two as I have nothing long enough to serve it in!

anTKSqp.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 15

image.thumb.jpeg.c1830bee1f2bb256beb487fBuild your own amboogers. My Italian mother in laws recipe and pronunciation. 

The burgers are a mix of pork and beef, grated apple, grated onion, soy and Worcestershire sauce plus salt and pepper.

To serve, crusty poppy seed rolls, tomatoes with basil and balsamic, caramelised onions, baby beetroot and lettuce.

• Like 17

@BonVivant

Absolutely love your plating of that fish.   I really, really miss fish but I don't have easy access to anything fresh enough to tempt me.  I have not eaten roe  since I was barely a teenager and I will NOT tell you how many decades ago that is!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I couldn't wait to try the start in cold oil French fries. Had burgers and fries tonight. Had a russet big enough to hollow out and go to sea in so I turned it into fries. This method produced some great fries. Much less stressful and easier to coordinate with the rest of the meal. 

Thanks, Shelby!

fries.thumb.jpg.353d4e2b9c1e343955e82831

• Like 15

Really wish you hadn't done that, HungryChris.  I have potatoes in the house so it will be hard to resist an attempt.

image.thumb.jpeg.434787e9d8e6c590ed3cd81

Another meat pie. Steak and onion this time. I steamed some broccoli also and had a side dish of some middle eastern style cucumber quickles. 

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna_N, thank you for your kind comment! And am sorry to hear you have almost no access to good fresh fish. I'd miss it so dearly, too. Hope you get to eat it somewhere on holiday then.

This is a big one... about a kilo. Second photo before the glasses just for size.

nI0bpaR.gif

• Like 3