• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

25208230726_034e62ea05_z.jpg

A loin pork chop. Assortment of potatoes. Pan jus. Pork chop cooked thusly - and there's more to the story:

25116253402_2ee6e3579c.jpg

Here's the thing with "commercial" pork. Or with loin pork chops from commercial pork.  I bought these chops at Whole Foods - $7.99/lb.

Cooked to a perfect medium rare+. Not mushy in the least, if that's what anyone worries about from sous vide. But they were a  little too dry for me, though Sig Eater loved them.  And I dry brined them for about 2 hours prior to cooking.

My favorite part? The little pieces of meat surrounding the bone on the bottom of the chop.

Lesson learned - buy rib end (or blade, even) chops only!

weinoo

weinoo

A loin pork chop. Assortment of potatoes. Pan jus. Pork chop cooked thusly - and there's more to the story):

Here's the thing with "commercial" pork. Or with loin pork chops from commercial pork.  I bought these chops at Whole Foods - $7.99/lb.

Cooked to a perfect medium rare+. Not mushy in the least, if that's what anyone worries about from sous vide. But they were a  little too dry for me, though Sig Eater loved them.  And I dry brined them for about 2 hours prior to cooking.

My favorite part? The little pieces of meat surrounding the bone on the bottom of the chop.

weinoo

weinoo

A loin pork chop. Assortment of potatoes. Pan jus. Pork chop cooked thusly (hide your eyes, everyone (or at least Brown and Daniel) - and there's more to the story):