• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My grandma's red cabbage

con delight

My grandma used to make us large pot of red cabbage, and we loved it so much.

Unfortunately we don't have the exact recipe from her and because her memory isn't the same as before, we can only try and recreate the flavors.

I think I've done pretty good and this recipe is a hit at my house.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 medium large carrots
1 small-medium white/green cabbage
1/2 package tomato paste (= 130 gram )
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
4.5 teaspoons of sweetener or sugar
pinch of black pepper

Preparation:
Separate cabbage leaves, rinse and cut to stripes.
Peel carrots, rinse and cut to cubes.
Preheat oil in a pot,  add cabbage and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
Add tomato paste, salt, turmeric, paprika, sugar and black pepper and mix well.
Lower the heat to medium and cook with a lid, stirring occasionally. Cook for 20 minutes or until it reaches the desired softness,
I didn't add any water, but if you need then add a bit and of course use a pot with non stick bottom.

cabbage and.jpg

Edited by con delight
Totally forgot to main ingredient of this dish (log)
  • Like 3

That looks and sounds delicious, con delight. If you are passing the recipe around though to any novice cooks, while you did mention cabbage in the procedure portion, you may want to add the kind (red I presume) and quantity to the ingredients list.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Looking at it, it doesn't look like red cabbage.Looks like green cabbage with tomato sauce. Is it really red cabbage?

I agree. Looks like green cabbage color-enhanced by tomato paste, paprika, and turmeric.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd like to know what that is right next to the cabbage.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The corner of it looks salmon-y.

I also thought it looked sorta fishy.  But hard to tell, no?

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Looks like fish to me. Perhaps they were running out of red dye to feed what looks like an east coast-type 'farmed' salmon. It is a bit pale even for the salmon around here but I don't know the salmon in con delight's part of the world. I doubt it is arctic char or trout but I could be wrong - looks a bit thick for those. Smoked cod and haddock around here has that colour exterior but the interior is not pink. I hope he comes back to tell us more soon.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Deryn said:

That looks and sounds delicious, con delight. If you are passing the recipe around though to any novice cooks, while you did mention cabbage in the procedure portion, you may want to add the kind (red I presume) and quantity to the ingredients list.

Okay, thanks for the note and it is actually a white/green cabbage.

Edited by con delight (log)
  • Like 2

You were right, it is Salmon. I didn't upload the recipe for the salmon, because I didn't have exact quantities.

And I'm from Israel, and in Israel they usually bring the Norwegian salmon. Usually the fresh salmon in here is red, but if I buy the frozen salmon it is pinker and paler.

Edited by con delight (log)
  • Like 3