• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which gas range?

Ader1

I live in the UK.  I am not a professional chef.  I'm looking for a range cooker possibly dual fuel; electricity and gas.  What I've very keen on having is something with a gas hob which will enable me to do some wok stir frying.  I've been suggested a Rangemaster and Lacanche.  The Lacanche seems a little too expensive but I'm told it's the better range.  There do seem to be some second hand models around but then there's the problem of a lack of warranty.  The Rangemasters are very nice looking but have been told that they're not that good but not bad either and come at a fraction of the price of a Lacanche.  I would be very thankful for some advice on what to get.  I suppose I would preferably like the cost to be kept to below £1500.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit familiar with the Lacanche, but not too familiar with the Rangemaster.  The Lacanche definitely seems like a different quality level than the Rangemaster, and I wouldn't let the lack of warranty put you off too badly as there is really not that much that can go wrong on an all gas range with minimal electronics.  

As far as wok cooking, I see that the Lacanche has an option for a removable "french top" which looks like it would nicely cradle a wok, and would likely give much better results than the mid BTU Rangemaster hobs.  You might consider also looking for restaurant style models with "open" gas burners, if your building code allows.

I don't know if it is available in Europe, but there is an American manufacturer called Blue Star which has open "Garland" style 25K BTU burners, which are the functional equivalent of a wok burner once the grates are removed.  There is another US manufacturer called Capital which makes open burner gas ranges (I think they max out at 22K BTU), and with dedicated wok burners.   

I have the Blue Star 25k cooktop with six burners and it's great for wokking and grilling,  however you need a serious exhaust fan if you get one, preferably an exhaust fan that is at least 2 inches wider (on both sides) than your cooking area to catch all the fumes and smoke 

• Like 1

On February 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM, kbjesq said:

I have the Blue Star 25k cooktop with six burners and it's great for wokking and grilling,  however you need a serious exhaust fan if you get one, preferably an exhaust fan that is at least 2 inches wider (on both sides) than your cooking area to catch all the fumes and smoke 

I just bought the Blue Star Platinum 48" for my new kitchen, and chose it primarily for its wok capabilities.  I have a Faber 48" Range Hood going on top of it, so hoping that will work out ok.  I'll let you so in a month or two.   

• Like 1

My cooktop is 36" and my exhaust hood is a 36" Zephyr II with 10" exhaust duct and 2 fans, but I wish that I had purchased a wider exhaust hood. Some smoke, fumes etc still escapes when doing high heat wokking on the front burners