• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates "too sweet"?

Gentastic

Ok, sorry if I post a lot in the next few days.  I'm a hobby candy maker, but someone asked me to make candy for their clients, so I'm trying to put my best chocolate covered foot forward (seriously...chocolate is everywhere).

In your opinion do you find that people prefer the sweet candy (probably like the candy shops you find at tourist locations, fudge shops, etc.)?  Or would they rather honestly have the bitter, dark chocolate without very sweet fillings?  Or somewhere  in the middle (which is where I'm leaning right now)?

I suggest making what you like and seeing how that goes. Like the tale of Goldilocks and the three bears, everyone has their own "just right". You just need to find each other.  :-)

Try for a variety of textures and flavors but keep things to your taste. Now, special orders, that can be a whole other ball game!

• Like 2

I like some of both, so I will use your suggestion.  My two tasters are my husband and daughter.  My husband has the tastebuds of a hummingbird (regardless of taste, if it's disgustingly sweet, he loves it).  And my daughter will eat anything candy flavored that isn't citrus or nutty.  They're both useless! :P 

• Like 3

I make chocolates all throughout the year and bring them in to work. It seems there are the people in the dark chocolate camp and the people in the milk chocolate camp and then those few people who like white chocolate. I try and do an assortment to please everyone! I think kids generally like milk chocolate better than adults, but that's just in my experience!

I'm in the not too sweet camp, maybe because I've been in pastry too long xD

For chocolate,  I like about 60-70% for eating, and I want it to taste like chocolate not sugar.  If it's a fruity dessert i want a good balance of acidity, and if its a caramel I want it decently dark. 

• Like 1

Love the Goldilocks comparison, Curls!  And, I'd echo that exactly. 

The shop I made chocolates for downtown required a variety of options, as the customer's tastes were so diverse. The never-failed-to-please, fly off the shelf choices were: milk chocolate -sea salt caramel; dark chocolate (72%) sea salt caramel, Key Lime in white chocolate (Ewald Notter's formula sans the feulletine pcs), dark chocolate (72%) Lemon&Lavendar. 

I have the same problem with my family taste testers.

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: