• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasteurizing egg yolks?

Franci

Can I keep my egg yolks longer by pasteurizing them?  They are chasing me. My family is eating way too much egg yolk pasta and still I don't always have the time to use them before I should. I normally put them in a zip lock bag, try to squeeze as much air out as possible and use within 2-3 days. Now I already have 18 yolk from 2 days ago and likely going to have more than 50 tomorrow. 

I tried the freezing adding a bit of sugar but didn't like the result. Any suggestion on how too keep them is welcome. I have tons of recipes...not always the time to execute them.

Edited by Franci (log)

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/141694-pasteurizing-eggs-sous-vide/

I pasteurize whole eggs, but usually use only the yolks.  Typically for a yolk based sauce.  I keep my pasteurized eggs refrigerated for weeks, so far with out problems of taste or health.  There is no reason  I can see that pasteurizing just yolks would be a problem other than that it is unnecessarily messy.  Whole eggs come in such nice little containers.

I would not freeze the yolks or add sugar.

If you know ahead of time in what recipes you are planning to use the yolks, bag them up in proper quantities accordingly.  Before pasteurizing.  After pasteurizing chill in an ice bath, etc.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Egg yolks do not contain microbial spores, the main factor limiting storage time of sous vide cooked food. Unless you introduce the spores in the yolk separation & bagging process, your only concern should be salmonella. So, it is likely that sous-vide pasteurized egg yolks can be safely kept for weeks, but this really depends on fast chilling and your fridge temperature. Under 5ºC I would keep for a month, if temperature is higher I would reduce that time.