• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SuperBowl 2016-What's on the menu?

Shelby

I don't watch the game but I make food for those who do! Made a 7-layer dip with the usual ingredients, though I made my own guac, salsa and refried beans. 

I decided to make Sonoran Dogs instead of ribs. Some nice bolillo rolls, bacon-wrapped weiners, pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, a couple of toppings/spreads - blended some jalapenos and then mixed with avocado and lime for a pretty but potent spread. Some mayo. A touch of mustard. Some repetition between the food, but also had some crudités to lighten things up a bit. 

Sonoran Dogs

• Like 4

here are the wings I made for the game.  I added some Archie Moore's buffalo sauce to the glaze because that was my husband's favorite restaurant when he was in school.

56b8055f0616a_chickenwings.thumb.jpg.261

I don't eat wings and also jettisoned all other snacks due to the fact that my cold/whatever it is has completely robbed me of a sense of smell. I actually burned part of dinner this afternoon because I had something under the broiler and did not smell when it was ready! 

• Like 7

Made the sloppy joe, as planned. 5 or 6 pounds of grass fed ground beef....gone in a flash.  

Snicker Salad....ditto.  Its so silly, but so irresistible!

SIL made the 7 layer dip, and brought chips...so that was nice snack during halftime.

FIL bought an ice cream cake from DQ...which the younger crowd promptly devoured.

I was pretty shocked. Even after a couple of beers, FIL was pretty tame during the game...Except after that facemask in the first half. Even though he's a Bronco's fan, he thought 21 should have been ejected- and he was pretty colorful while making his point. :o   OY!    The day before this, he came over with MIL for his birthday dinner. I made about 10 pounds of BBQ'd short ribs; fried potatoes (from the garden), coleslaw, baked beans, and rolls.  Since he has to watch his sugar, I did an SF cake for him, with coconut and pecans.  Not my cup of tea, but, he liked it plenty.   I had a bottle of that sparkling grape juice stuff out for the kids at dinner. FIL thought it was wine, and drank almost the whole bottle. Gotta love him!

• Like 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Looks good, Shelby.  What's in the tortilla roll-ups?

WHATTA GAME!!!!!!!!!!  AND THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!  

One of my guys, Talib said "There ain't no Easter Bunny, there ain't no Santa Claus, and there ain't no Superman" LOL

Yes, I'm on cloud 9.  My mom woke her household up by playing Queen's We Are the Champions :D

Roll-ups had cream cheese mixed with a bit of sour cream, diced onions, green chiles and black olives.

• Like 7

I had bought olives and cheese and crackers and had pate de campagne and caviar in the freezer I was planning to thaw. Wound up going to the Thai restaurant for lunch (good Panang curry), and then eating Pancho's (won't mean anything to anyone but @Thanks for the Crepes and me, but a regional only-vaguely-Mexican restaurant in the Memphis area) cheese dip and chips during the game.

Proud of the Broncos!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I apparently can't eat up to my expectations. I soaked the inside of an onion bun with au jus from the roast, piled on the beef and horseradish and it disappeared in no time. It was so tasty, I was sure I'd want another by halftime. Nope, was still feeling stuffed from the earlier sandwich and potatoes. Kinda disappointing that I couldn't stuff down more. The game was pretty good. I like defensive games and Denver's defense is a monster. Peyton didn't do much but he didn't have to because Cam couldn't do anything. They got in his head early. Even when he had opportunity, he couldn't take advantage of it most of the time. I really hope Peyton uses this as his exit. A great way to end it and he's just too banged up to keep doing it. Shouldn't be a problem now anyway... Eli can no longer taunt him at the family gatherings with his 2 rings. :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Great game though there were 2 NJ guys playing for the Panthers.....

I HATE facemask penalties... there is no reason for them IMHO

Just reading Robb Walsh's books on Tex-Mex and Texas foods and am flashing back to Texarkana and our first year of marriage.....

I want some of that and what y'all are talking about.

made some microwave popcorn that I finished with some canola oil, salt and toast dope

rigatoni with red sauce and chicken sausage

chopped salad with pickled veg and a vinaigrette

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites