• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SuperBowl 2016-What's on the menu?

Shelby

Uh ... there's a game on?  >:( ... Love ya Shelby but your team knocked mine out.   Will root for you. though, as Peyton will probably retire if he wins.

I like you idea of a main you can do ahead then serve at half-time  like the lasagna or a filet and salad and bread...

Your killer stuffed eggs, pigs in a blanket, venison meatballs in a sauce of lingonberry and mustard, hummus and pita as a snacky before?

You could use the leftover filet, bread and any of the snackys for the wrap up unless you want something sweet

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't have a horse in this game - Seahawks are out. 

Serving the main at half-time - that IS a good idea!  I am going to adopt it too.  Previous years I'd just put everything on the table as it's ready.  I'll bring out the char siu sliders, salads, rice vermicelli out at half-time.  In addition to the stuff I listed up thread, I'm going to make the rumaki Smithy suggested (if I can get decent chicken livers), bought an assortment of Chinese NY candies & sweets, hot spinach dip, and sticky rice cake and birthday cake for dessert.

It's also Downton Abbey night, but not till 9pm PST.  Some friends will probably stay, but I'm not sure what to do for food for the couple hours or so between the game and Downton.  Stretch out dessert?  Port & cigars for the gentlemen, and tea for the ladies in the drawing room?? :P

I should have gotten some orange juice so we could have mimosas (orange for my Broncos) but it didn't occur to me until now.  I do have 3 fresh grapefruits....maybe Greyhounds for a cocktail? 

Got my chalkboard done:

P2051134.JPG.98328e5724627586488853351ba

• Like 9

Looks like I'm definitely doing the beef sandwiches. Still no idea if I'm gonna do anything else with it.

Shelby, I almost want to pull for your Broncos just because I think this will be Peyton's last, win or lose. I'm not particularly a Denver fan but I'm not a hater either. But the same applies to Carolina and, though he obviously has some maturing to do, Cam's pure enthusiasm and joy for the game is refreshing. It's nice to see someone at the pro level purely happy to be on the field playing. So I'm having a tough time deciding who to pull for... maybe I'll just sit back and enjoy it whichever way it goes. As a lifelong Bama fan, both of those QB's were thorns in our side so it feels kinda weird cheering for either. But there's no denying their talent.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

40 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Looks like I'm definitely doing the beef sandwiches. Still no idea if I'm gonna do anything else with it.

Shelby, I almost want to pull for your Broncos just because I think this will be Peyton's last, win or lose. I'm not particularly a Denver fan but I'm not a hater either. But the same applies to Carolina and, though he obviously has some maturing to do, Cam's pure enthusiasm and joy for the game is refreshing. It's nice to see someone at the pro level purely happy to be on the field playing. So I'm having a tough time deciding who to pull for... maybe I'll just sit back and enjoy it whichever way it goes. As a lifelong Bama fan, both of those QB's were thorns in our side so it feels kinda weird cheering for either. But there's no denying their talent.

I get it...it's not as fun when you don't have a team that you're passionate about playing.  I've been a Broncos fan since I was old enough to know.  

My drawing is all free-hand...I love to draw :)

If nothing else, cheer for a good game :)

• Like 4

Not to put too much of a 'damper' on today's Super Bowl but there is a bit of sad news:

"SETTLING UNHAPPILY into his Super Bowl seat, Himalayan high behind the end zone, Joe spots an empty seat low and on the 50-yard line. He descends to it and asks the man seated next to him why the wonderful seat is unoccupied. The man says, “It's mine. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she died. This is the first Super Bowl since 1967 we have not attended together.” Joe says: “But couldn't you find a friend or relative to come with you today?” The man replies: “No, they're all at the funeral.” 

• Like 3

I am not hosting a party this year since the Broncos beat my team, but my brother in law is living with us for a couple of weeks while he looks for an apartment (he just moved to this area for a new job), and he and my husband are huge football fans.  So, for them I am making buffalo chicken dip and a roasted chicken wing recipe that was in Wednesday's food section of the Boston Globe.  We are eating the main meal before the game with a larger family group: seafood stew, salad, and crusty bread.

• Like 2

No party here, just a couple of friends coming over. I'm going to make Kenji's green chile and bacon mac and cheese, Joanne Chang's PB cookies, and we'll have guac and chips and a bowl of pistachios for green. ;-)

This is the one Sunday night of hockey season that my league cancels our game. We played during the NHL all-star game last week!

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

The roast went into the tank at 55 C last night. I called a game-day audible on the pretzel buns and decided to do onion buns instead. I like pretzel buns but you have to eat them all or make a choice: leave them in a paper bag and they start getting hard by the next day or seal them in a container where they stay fresh but the pretzel salt dissolves. It's the Super Bowl so healthy isn't really a consideration, the sandwiches are going to be accompanied by potatoes fried with kielbasa and onions.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I plan to simply Review the State of Methode Rotus, with an eye for its future.

hope the game stays close, and no idiotic Call, nor stupid penalty determines the end result.

I would not mind if a few BillionAire owners, choked on there Foie G's  ( this is the food part )

for what they did  and will always do to Taxpayers through   you know what

Exhibit Minnesota's billion dollar stadium

as The Gecko said  " greed is good "

Ok, the super difficult to make cheese dip is done.  Munching on that .....I've looked forward to this for weeks.

P2071136.JPG.9b971a136ee00ab2ea74dde7ca4

Made a cheesecake in the Instant Pot.  Glazed with some peaches I canned last summer (orange) and blueberries that I froze last summer (blue).

P2071138.JPG.d29f0cfa7310e3e5f459888b21d

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Shelby

very nice

nothing Crunchy ?

I like fritos  from TJ's

50 % off

more sodium than you might like !

Oh most definitely --we have a big bowl of tortilla chips going......I have more pictures to post.....just not yet.  Gotta get everything done, get my wine, prop my feet up and focus on the game :) 

• Like 3

Alrighty, here's the rest.  The chili and pork verde and the tamales are prepped and ready to go ...prolly will eat right after halftime.

Salsa

P2071138.JPG.98d5c7591da1522610c656515ce

Guac

P2071139.JPG.d1f653f43fc6c1117e3e0753d44

Tortilla rollups

P2071140.JPG.43dc17eb0de400236c1e7347556

Annnnnnnnd, the first of many glasses of wine in my Broncos glass :)

P2071142.JPG.fd6208e5431ec28a647ca932c78

• Like 12

Shelby, my chip doesn't seem to fit in your bowl and makes a noise like you left the Saran on, ha, ha

seriouly, I love the look of your salsa which is dotted with chunks of jalapeño!  Hopefully your wine is paired well with it.:B

• Like 5

Food's done, ready for game time. I'm not gonna bother with pictures. It looks like what it is. A plate of very thinly sliced medium-rare beef, a plate full of onion buns and a frying pan full of potatoes with some other stuff. No wine for me. Maybe a beer or two but no more than that... work comes early tomorrow.

• Like 2