• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SuperBowl 2016-What's on the menu?

Shelby

GBRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debating here what to make.  

I do NOT want to be cooking during the game (starts at 5:30 my time) because I must give my full attention and psychic good vibes to my team.  I once made a kicker on an opposing team miss using only my brain waves.  Yup, uh-huh, I really did.

Maybe lasagna or SV ribs......   It seems like if I do snack stuff  it takes a lot more time than if I just do a meal.  However, I have a craving for the very difficult, must-have dip...Hot Rotel and Velveeta.  

****Fried chicken will NOT be on the menu because that's what we had the last time we were in the SB (I don't wanna talk about it).

• Like 6

It's true that a meal might take less time for preparation, but isn't finger/snack food more appropriate for the game?  Have it set out so people - even if it's just you and DH - can go fill their plates as needed. In addition to your oh-so-difficult :D and time-honored dip, you could have another dip (bean dip? buffalo chicken dip?), crackers, chips, celery sticks. For more substantial fare SV ribs would work.  Another idea would be buffalo wings. What about chili? Can your IP be put to use holding something warm for people to dip into at will?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Looking forward to everyone's menus!

This year is a triple-whammy for us - Super Bowl + Chinese New Year (Eve) + Hubby's Bday.  We're having friends over but menu planning is a bit of a challenge. Kick off is 3:30 in our time zone.  I don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen, must have some snacks/finger foods, no deep frying, must have pork (DH's request), should have some CNY "lucky" foods.  A lot of traditional CNY dishes are off the table because too much prep or too much a la minute cooking or just not appropriate for Super Bowl (steamed whole fish, anyone???).

So far I have:

Pot stickers

Stir fried mee fun (rice vermicelli)

Marinated cucumber salad

Pork - Maybe Chinese bbq pork sliders.

Bacon wrapped cocktail weenies??? DH likes it.

Birthday cake

???

Stuck on snacks. It'll probably end up being the usual chips, dip, salsa, etc.  I'd love any comments or suggestions!

• Like 1

Bacon wrapped cocktail weenies??? DH likes it.

Or bacon wrapped chicken livers, with or without the accompanying water chestnuts?  It was all the rage in the US a few decades back, and I still like it - although I suspect it isn't Chinese.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

43 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Or bacon wrapped chicken livers, with or without the accompanying water chestnuts?  It was all the rage in the US a few decades back, and I still like it - although I suspect it isn't Chinese.

Rumaki! I've never made it, but that would be a fun Super Bowl snack!  It's definitely not Chinese :D, I think it is Polynesian/Tiki.

• Like 2

Beebs -  these apricots, stuffed with mozz and pistachio and bacon wrapped have been on my mind since I saw them on Food52 this morning, I think the type of cheese and nut could be flexible. The combo hits those savory/sweet/crunch/goo notes for me.   http://food52.com/recipes/15308-bacon-wrapped-apricots-stuffed-with-pistachios-and-mozzarella

Edited by heidih
typo (log)
  • Like 3

I've been pondering this as well. I'll probably watch the game at home by myself, but I still want some good munchies. May have some crostini with cream cheese and caviar; a couple of deviled eggs; some raw veggies and hummus; still have some ham frozen from Christmas I can make a sandwich with. Or I may just stock up on some good cheese and olives; I still have some slices of pate de campagne in the freezer. That ought to do me nicely.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The plan right now is to toss a beef roast in the sous vide tank, bake a batch of pretzel buns, buy some good horseradish and make sandwiches. Not sure what, if anything, will accompany the sandwiches and the plan could change entirely before the weekend depending on whether I'm in the mood to muck around with pretzel buns or not. I always want to do a pile of finger foods and snacks but I've come to accept that all I do is attack the snacks early in the game, fill up and the rest sits there untouched. So I've switched in the last couple years to just making a simple meal that doesn't require any game-interference work.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On February 1, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Shelby said:

I have a craving for the very difficult, must-have dip...Hot Rotel and Velveeta

I'm flying off to Houston tomorrow and will be hanging out with a relative in a hospital-adjacent hotel in where she is staying for treatment.  

Not exactly a wild party but this is one dish that I'm sure I can concoct in the kitchenette microwave!  

True confession:  we are more excited about watching the Kitten Bowl :$!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

The plan right now is to toss a beef roast in the sous vide tank, bake a batch of pretzel buns, buy some good horseradish and make sandwiches. Not sure what, if anything, will accompany the sandwiches and the plan could change entirely before the weekend depending on whether I'm in the mood to muck around with pretzel buns or not. I always want to do a pile of finger foods and snacks but I've come to accept that all I do is attack the snacks early in the game, fill up and the rest sits there untouched. So I've switched in the last couple years to just making a simple meal that doesn't require any game-interference work.

Tri2Cook, do you mind sharing your pretzel roll recipe? I made the ones from King Arthur, first time trying pretzel rolls, and they turned out great. Would like to try some others

I wouldn't at all mind sharing... but I don't have a special recipe. I just use a standard run-of-the-mill white bread recipe, give them a water and baking soda boil, egg wash, pretzel salt and bake.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've been mulling this over for a week now. We're all going over to Grandpa's for the SB. (Yes, the grandpa without a filter.) So obviously, no wine.  I can't help it if he has beer there, though.  He gets so worked up at the ref's sometimes...the less alcohol  the better. (As if the referees can hear Gramps swearing at them in Finnish.) :P IDK.

Foodwise...my sister in law is bring chips and seven-layer dip.  I had been contemplating sloppy joes, because everyone loves that. Also looking at doing a Chopska salad. My friend from Bulgaria got me hooked years ago, and I have a ton of fresh parsley still growing on the porch.   For sweets. something lighter and more snacky..homemade chewy granola bars.  Still pondering though.

Much of my normal ambition escapes me since I pulled a muscle in my back Monday.

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

We have usually hosted as the Americans in the Canadian group but the gang has outgrown our tiny city house this year.  So Canuck friends with a bigger house are hosting -- but have asked me to provide the food!  I'm planning a huge pan of baked ziti for the main with a very simple side salad, maybe cole slaw?  We always have tons of super simple snacks -- olives, salted nuts, chips, dips, salsa, crudites, cheese and crackers, salumi, etc, and then the main is brought out at half time, if anyone is still hungry and they usually are.  But if they've filled up on snacks, that's fine, too, and their problem. :)   Then super easy desert -- brownies and/or blondies, ice cream if anyone wants it.  

Don't want to do much work during the game -- and not too much beforehand either!

• Like 3

On 2/1/2016 at 8:22 AM, Shelby said:

GBRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debating here what to make.  

I do NOT want to be cooking during the game (starts at 5:30 my time) because I must give my full attention and psychic good vibes to my team.  I once made a kicker on an opposing team miss using only my brain waves.  Yup, uh-huh, I really did.

Maybe lasagna or SV ribs......   It seems like if I do snack stuff  it takes a lot more time than if I just do a meal.  However, I have a craving for the very difficult, must-have dip...Hot Rotel and Velveeta.  

****Fried chicken will NOT be on the menu because that's what we had the last time we were in the SB (I don't wanna talk about it).

I make a tasty vegetarian lasagna. I'm by no means a vegetarian though. You can make it the day before the game, as you know.

Prep the following ingredients not in any specific order:

1 large sweet onion* The onion should be the ‘sweet variety. It’s got less ‘heat’ than a regular table onion. In the food processor fine chop the onion. Put the chopped onion into a cold water bath for a few minutes. This helps remove the bitter heat and leaves just a nice onion flavour. I do this whenever I’m making any recipe calling for onion. Rinse and drain and pat dry on some PTs. Then gently sauté the onion in a T of olive oil to just soften the onion. Remove from the pan and set aside.

20 medium size mushrooms. Use the ‘slicer’ blade on the food processor to thin slice the mushrooms.

Sauté the mushrooms in 2T olive oil until just soft. You don’t have to fry them until ‘golden brown’. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle on a heaping T of dried oregano. This is the only herb you’ll be using. Set aside .

2 375 ml tins of sliced black olives drained. I use ‘Unico’. Drain the tins but don’t put them together and don’t rinse them. You’ll be using a tin each in different layers.

1 500 gram wedge of Asiago cheese. 

It really needs to be Asiago cheese to give it that ‘special something’. Mozza cheese doesn’t have the same flavour as Asiago. Into the freezer for 30 minutes then grate it using to grater on the food processor. Set aside in the fridge. You can buy pre-grated packages of three types of cheese but they are more expensive.

Spinach:

2 bunches of fresh spinach. Cut off an inch or so of the stems. Carefully wash each leaf to make positive it doesn’t have any dirt on it. Rinse well and pat dry. Set aside.

Lasagna noodles: I use Cattelli noodles but rice noodles and other types of noodles are available.

In a large pot of salted boiling water put each noodle in separately and at different angles so they don’t stick together. Boil them until just cooked through. Drain and cool in cold water to stop them from cooking. Set aside.

Build:

Use olive oil to coat the inside of the glass lasagna pan. 

Put a layer down of three lasagna noodles.

Then a light sprinkle of grated cheese.

Then a layer of sweet onion. This is the only sweet onion used.

Then a light sprinkle of Asiago cheese.

Then a layer of noddles.

Then a sprinkle of cheese.

Then a layer of the mushroom/oregano* There will be some liquid with the mushrooms. Use it. The noodles will absorb the tasty flavours.

Then a tin of sliced black olives. Then a sprinkle of cheese.

Then a layer of three noodles.

Then a sprinkle of cheese. 

Then a layer of spinach.

Then a tin of black olives.

And finally sprinkle on whatever Asiago cheese is left. There should be enough to cover the black olives.

You’ll need to press down on the layers to fit them all into the glass dish.

But everything fits.

Pro Tip: At this point use a very sharp knife to cut through the lasagna to make what later will be individual portions. The portions are a lot easier to remove from the pan this way before serving. I use a steel egg turner to remove the portions.

You can make the lasagna the day before serving and keep it covered in the fridge.

When you want to serve put the lasagna into a 275-300 F oven for an hour or so. When you see the sides bubbling remove and serve.

If you use too high a heat the cheese and top layer of noodles will turn hard. Better to heat the lasagna for a longer time using low heat.

• Like 1

I completely forgot about the Snicker Salad!   If I show up without it,  the family will disown me. .

Grannie Smith Apples, diced

Snicker Bars, chopped

Mini-marshmellows

Coolwhip

Not a high-caliber, culinary masterpiece by any stretch of imagination. But, it is damn tasty.

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Well, I think everyone has some damn good eats coming their way on Sunday.  All the pork butt talk has me jonesing.

@Beebs  That IS quite the triple whammy!  My step-dad's bday is also Sunday.  I'm taking that as a good omen for us winning.

@kayb  Still jealous of your local caviar.  

@ChocoMom LOL....Bring wine....will make the stories better.  I will await them with anticipation lol.  I do hope your back is feeling better and that snickers salad sounds decadent.

We've decided on pork verde over tamales.  I just got the tamales shipped in from Texas.  Ordered from a new place, we will see how they are.  I'll thaw some venison chili out, too, so we can have one or the other or both.  Easy peasy and no major game interruption.  Might make some tortilla roll-ups and salsa OH and the Velveeta dip. 

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.  I'm watching the NFL channel all day every day soaking it all up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SLB said:

Pork butt, low 'n slow.

I'd much rather do something in the smoker than indoors but that's a non-option here this time of year. Unless something unusual happens with the weather, my smoker won't see the outside of the shed for another couple months or so. Still not 100% convinced that I'm going to stick with the original plan though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'd much rather do something in the smoker than indoors but that's a non-option here this time of year. Unless something unusual happens with the weather, my smoker won't see the outside of the shed for another couple months or so. Still not 100% convinced that I'm going to stick with the original plan though.

What part of Ontario you in?  In Toronto, we might be wearing our bathing suits and sitting out in the back patio, the way things are going!

I'm in the far north-west part and it's been hovering in the -20 to -30 range for the past few weeks. It's warmed a bit this week but still staying mostly in the -10 to -20 range. Not complaining though, the serious cold hit way later than normal this year.

• Like 1