• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with overcooked pork? Pâté?

TdeV

A shrink wrapped package in my freezer was badly labelled, so I guessed it was pork shoulder and cooked it sous vide for 3 days at 135 F. It tasted okay but it fell apart like crumbs and it's a bit dry. (It was a pork loin roast probably).

I was thinking of grinding it up with some whipping cream (food processor) and making a pâté (based on Julia Child's suggestion about salmon mousse). Should I add anything else to the mix? What condiments?

Or should I do something else with it? I've got 1.5 - 2 lbs of it.

Edited by TdeV (log)

I'm having trouble imagining whipping cream as an appropriate binder, but my pâté experience is limited.  What about making a sauce appropriate to sloppy joes or pulled pork, then serving it with potatoes, noodles, or bread? Another possibility is to use it as a component in enchiladas.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Speaking from experience we sometimes waste more food when we attempt to prevent food wastage. Some things cannot be rescued and it is wiser to let go and move on. YMMV. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If it's flavorful, I think you could grind it and mix it with some mayo, a flavorful mustard, maybe some caramelized onions or other seasonings to make a spread for toast or crackers.

If you grind it and it's more like cotton, I'd bin it, too!

• Like 2

The small roast will be fine for stock, with lots of vegetables and something for gelling, maybe a pig's trotter or chicken wings, and carcass.  The pork can then go into comfort food dishes, like chili or biryani. 

• Like 1

I hate to throw away food, but also wouldn't put too much effort and other ingredients to try to 'fix' something.  But I'd give it a shot as either a rillette or maybe this pork butter from James Beard Foundation? 

Pork Butter Recipe

• Like 1