• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lumette, handcrafted confections by Ewald Notter

pastrygirl

Does anyone here know what the story is with Lumette?  I was just at a chocolate event and a local caterer was featuring these chocolates.  I doubt that Ewald Notter is working for a caterer in Seattle, so is this a wholesale line he's doing?  The website seems to be just a landing page for now.  Just curious, it was odd to see the name at a local event. 

Huh, I guess he is working with the local caterer.  Interesting.  Great, how am I supposed to compete with Ewald Notter for my slice of the regional chocolate pie? :sad: I wonder where they're going with this.  And how I can get into that kitchen...  :P

There are some more details about Ewald Notter's new venture in this article http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2015/09/patti-paynes-cool-people-international-chocolatier.html.

@pastrygirl no need to compete with him directly. I am sure that you both have different tastes, artistry, and specialties. Your customers will continue to follow you and you will find new customers among those who have similar tastes to yours. If Ewald will also be offering workshops or classes in your area, I recommend that you take them, he is a wonderful teacher!

• Like 1

A very interesting article; it appears there is some back-story to this Notter move ("the three of us have had some big let down or disappointment in the past in our business so we are all thankful for being with people who are trustworthy, work with integrity and are kind").  Pastrygirl, what about approaching the three partners to see if there is room for a fourth?  From what I have seen of your work, you are certainly accomplished enough to join them.

• Like 1

Here's my thought - you do great work. There's plenty of customers to go around. Hone your marketing to highlight your local-ness.

On a related note, when I move to St. Louis later this year, while my focus is the restaurant, I will continue doing my chocolates. That puts me in Rick Jordan territory. His chocolates are superior, but our style is similar (airbrushed, interesting flavor combos). I know where his shop is, and mine is a different part of town, so I know there are people in my area that wouldn't bother driving all the way out into the county, and likewise with his customers not wanting to drive into the city. So define yourself and keep looking for new opportunities.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support, guys.  Of course you're right, there are plenty of customers to go around and we all do slightly different things.  I'm not really that worried about competition, just a little thrown off that such a big name was there, especially juxtaposed with the flashbacks to the late 90's I was having  - the event was at a local microbrewery that I haven't been inside of in years, so that was fun and a little weird.  I still got a nice handful of "yours is the best"s last night, and the team from Fran's stopped by to gush over my peanut butter truffles, so I'm good with that! 

I also have to remind myself that the countless people who come to my booth at events and ask "what's a truffle?" or "is that fudge?" have no idea who the big names in pastry are.  So in that sense, the more artisan chocolatiers to educate the public and elevate the taste level, the better!  It does look like EN is doing a sugar class at a community college a few miles from my house, so I might have to check that out, just for fun.  As for collaborating ... I'm still stubbornly trying to do my own thing and will continue on this path for a while longer.  At some point, working for someone else may seem like the better option again and if Notter or Francisco Migoya (who moved to the area a year or two ago but is currently doing test kitchen stuff instead of retail) wanted to hire me, I'd certainly entertain the offer.

Edited by pastrygirl
clarity (log)
  • Like 3

For what it's worth.... i'm starting up in an area with many great chocolatiers (although not huge names like EN admittedly). THey're mostly well-established and there's a couple doing pretty much exactly what i'm doing and will be in many of the same markets. My "thing" will be that I make the actual chocolate myself...as well as the "freshly made, natural ingredients, locally sourced where possible, ethically sourced always" thing that a lot of them do. I'll be honest - it's scary as hell. BUT - there are plenty of customers to go around and whilst i'm trying to appeal to the same knowledgeable crowd that some of teh others are, the reality is that many people think artisan chocolate ends with Hotel Chocolat. Which it obviously doesn't.

I would be less worried by EN than some of the smaller names round my way. He's on such a different level to everyone that I suspect his market would be much smaller locally. Also - I absolutely LOVE Heston Blumenthal's work...but that doesn't mean I want to eat at his restaurant every time i'm in London. (Ignoring the fact it's fairly costly!).

You'll be fine - if your work tastes half as good as it looks you have nothing to worry about whatsoever :) PLus - you now have a truly amazing place to learn more...right on your doorstep :)

• Like 1

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan