• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fantastic service from Nescafe Dolce Gusto

andiesenji

I just spent half an hour on the phone with a representative at Nescafe Dolce Gusto and with fantastic results.

Earlier my Dolce Gusto machine died - the digital screen kept saying it was "Out of water" even though the tank was full and I had made a cappuccino earlier with no problems.  I tried several options, nothing worked.

I scrolled through the various items listed on the screen until I got to HELP, pushed the button and a phone number was displayed.

I called and within 30 seconds was talking to a live representative.

I described my problem and we went through the process that should have produced water, nothing.

She asked for the model number, which I gave her and she checked to see if it could be repaired.  Unfortunately this model has been discontinued and repair is not available (would have been free and with free shipping had it been).

So they will be sending me a new machine, a Dolce Gusto Esperta™ which is a step up from my model and with more versatility.  

All free and I can use the shipping box to return my present machine, free shipping.

So this is the way to promote brand LOYALTY.  GREAT customer SERVICE!  

Compare that with some of the problems experienced by friends and neighbors who have had problems with Keurig machines and had to jump through hoops to get any service at all - plus waiting on hold for extended periods.

Dolce Gusto does it right!

This is the machine that died.

56ae65efc6f05_ScreenShot2016-01-31at11.5

And this is the one I am getting - Free.

56ae662c8c3ad_ScreenShot2016-01-31at11.5

• Like 12

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's great, Andie.

Although I must say your old one looks quite cute.  Like a fat beetle-shaped robot, bending over your cup and regurgitating ... no, maybe the new one is better.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I love the shape of the red one.  It was a gift from a couple of guys who had borrowed my superautomatic Saeco for a couple of parties they were hosting and I told them to keep it when they were ready to bring it back because I rarely used it.

So a couple of weeks later I got the Dolce Gusto  delivered along with a large supply of the pods.

I used it a lot, at least 4 or 5 times a week and it never failed - until now.

I am still so impressed with the customers service.  I can't think when I have had such quick and extremely courteous response from a company representative, a young woman who spoke perfect English and was anxious to make sure I was 100% satisfied.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I received the replacement machine last Tuesday, it was promised in 5 to 7 work days and it arrived on the 7th in the morning.  It's not as "cute" as the old one but it has a larger water tank and other attributes that make it superior.

This one is more versatile than the one that I had - the red one had pre-programed functions for the various drinks that could be altered but one had to "scroll" through the various items on the menu to get to the one desired.

This one just needs to have the amount of liquid to be dispensed selected with an easy to use wheel.  During the past few days I have tried several variations and have been very pleased with them all.  I also used foamed/steamed milk (from a frother/heater) instead of the Dolce Gusto milk pods, to which I added coffee or espresso via the machine and like the results very much.  

All in all I am extremely happy with this replacement and again, the service from this company has been EXCEPTIONAL!

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 6.44.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 6.45.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 6.45.28 PM.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, andiesenji said:

...I also used foamed/steamed milk (from a frother/heater) instead of the Dolce Gusto milk pods...

I had a Tassimo machine (like a Keurig, but cheaper) once and their milk pods were undrinkable.

Very happy for you and hoping you have many happy years with your new machine.

p

• 2 years later...

@andiesenji  I am thinking of getting a single serve coffee maker and have been reading some old eGullet threads about them.  Your post caught my eye and so I decided to ask you a couple of questions.  The first one is, are you still happy with it?  Also, do you need to use prepackaged pods or can you use your own coffee?  I am an occasional coffee drinker but I have a particular coffee that I really like and so would want a machine that would allow me to use my own coffee.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@andiesenji  I am thinking of getting a single serve coffee maker and have been reading some old eGullet threads about them.  Your post caught my eye and so I decided to ask you a couple of questions.  The first one is, are you still happy with it?  Also, do you need to use prepackaged pods or can you use your own coffee?  I am an occasional coffee drinker but I have a particular coffee that I really like and so would want a machine that would allow me to use my own coffee.  Thank you.

I am still happy with it and I haven't bought any pods for over a year.  I bought some of the refillable capsules on Amazon a couple of times. - They do wear out after many months of constant use but they are cheap. 

I usually fill 2 or 3 at a time but sometimes just one if I am trying out a new coffee. 

I grind the beans to not too fine, a couple of clicks below the Fine/Medium division.  With dark roast coffees, and I use creamer I set it to dispense to the 10 ounce line on a measure. 

I do this once in the measure and then directly into my mug.

I lightly tamp the grounds into the capsule with the bottom of the little measure that comes with these capsules, and fill to about 1/8 inch below the line where the little gasket is.

These have a hole for the "needle" so you do have to line it up with the little "marker" on the handle side of the capsule holder.  

If you do get this machine and the capsules, I will take photos so you can see exactly what I mean.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 3.04.56 PM.png

Mine is the EXPERTA

Edited by andiesenji (log)

On 8/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, andiesenji said:

Mine is the EXPERTA

I have decided to get the Nescafe Genio II.  I have one question about the refillable pods, and that is, how much coffee do they hold?  We like our coffee fairly strong.  Also, how hot is the coffee? I have read some reviews on other coffee makers where the complaint is the coffee is warm, not hot.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have decided to get the Nescafe Genio II.  I have one question about the refillable pods, and that is, how much coffee do they hold?  We like our coffee fairly strong.  Also, how hot is the coffee? I have read some reviews on other coffee makers where the complaint is the coffee is warm, not hot.

Mine comes out so hot I have to cool it down before I can drink it.  If you use dark roast coffee, you will have no problem with strength if you fill the pods the way I described.

@andiesenji  thank you again.  I have placed my order with Amazon and ordered the refillable cups although mine are the plain ones, but also from BRBHOM.  Amazon.ca wanted $32 for the coloured ones but the plain ones were $26.  I am looking forward to getting it.

@andiesenji  I received my machine and the refillable cups and after playing without a few times finally made my first cup of coffee today.  I filled the cup as you instructed, I used 3 of those little scoops and tamped the grounds lightly with that little cup.  Seems I put the thing in backwards, because the coffee was missing the cup.  Corrected that about halfway through.  The only thing I didn't like was the sediment in the cup.  That sent me back to Amazon to look at filter papers.  Have you ever used them, and if you have, which ones do/did you use?  I'm thinking that would solve the sediment problem.  The coffee I am using is ground for a Thechnivorm Moccamaster, an electric drip coffee maker and I would rather not have to buy coffee of another grind just for my new machine as I drink coffee only occasionally.

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@andiesenji  I received my machine and the refillable cups and after playing without a few times finally made my first cup of coffee today.  I filled the cup as you instructed, I used 3 of those little scoops and tamped the grounds lightly with that little cup.  Seems I put the thing in backwards, because the coffee was missing the cup.  Corrected that about halfway through.  The only thing I didn't like was the sediment in the cup.  That sent me back to Amazon to look at filter papers.  Have you ever used them, and if you have, which ones do/did you use?  I'm thinking that would solve the sediment problem.  The coffee I am using is ground for a Thechnivorm Moccamaster, an electric drip coffee maker and I would rather not have to buy coffee of another grind just for my new machine as I drink coffee only occasionally.

If you put the refillable pod in properly and it is sealed correctly, there should be no residue in your cup.  The hole for the needle seals tightly around it.  If it is perforated in the wrong place the plastic will not seal around the needle, fine coffee grounds can wash out.  I use super fine espresso grind with no residue at all coming through.  

Here are photos of a pod showing the sealing gasket.

HPIM1925.thumb.jpg.1099912415522e2ece8523d550f1f3af.jpg

It should not be visible anywhere when properly sealed the water is pushed through with a lot of pressure. 

HPIM1926.thumb.jpg.0fe53f0254bd9d029fdb227ded6d8e49.jpg

Once completely sealed, the tab next to the input hole should be lined up with the marker in the pod carrier. 

HPIM1928.thumb.jpg.94a65f5485f8f13f3417fe48ad85a7dc.jpg

If the needle perforates the pod anywhere else, then there is a second hole and grounds will be forced out through the first one.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I noticed there was a post in this topic so I thought I would check in with a report on my Dolce Gusto.

It's been SIX YEARS PLUS and the DG is still working just fine.  I don't use it quire as much as I did because a couple of years ago, actually in September 2019 my doctor "suggested" I reduce my intake of coffee because of irritation in my esophagus where I have a congenital defect.

Apparently it is the ACID in coffee that is the problem so I still drink some but switched to tea for most.

I have had zero problems with the DG.  I have cleaned it regularly with the "cleaning pods" which work great.  I have replaced the refillable capsules several times and they have been improved.  The coffee still is produced at maximum heat, not boiling but pretty close.  I used my Thermapen to check the temp and in the cup within seconds of production, it's at 192°F. Hot enough for me to have to let it sit for a few minutes or add unheated foamed milk (half & half).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, andiesenji said:

I noticed there was a post in this topic so I thought I would check in with a report on my Dolce Gusto.

It's been SIX YEARS PLUS and the DG is still working just fine.  I don't use it quire as much as I did because a couple of years ago, actually in September 2019 my doctor "suggested" I reduce my intake of coffee because of irritation in my esophagus where I have a congenital defect.

Apparently it is the ACID in coffee that is the problem so I still drink some but switched to tea for most.

I have had zero problems with the DG.  I have cleaned it regularly with the "cleaning pods" which work great.  I have replaced the refillable capsules several times and they have been improved.  The coffee still is produced at maximum heat, not boiling but pretty close.  I used my Thermapen to check the temp and in the cup within seconds of production, it's at 192°F. Hot enough for me to have to let it sit for a few minutes or add unheated foamed milk (half & half).

Healthy wishes!
That's really good that your DG is working in a good way. 

@andiesenji Thank you for the update.  I have an acquaintance looking for a pod coffee setup, the refillable instructions are a huge bonus.  I will pass along your review.

On a side note, re: low acid coffee.  I recently started patronizing a local roaster here that produces low acid roasts.  I like a medium roast bean.  I have only tried the Honduran Finca, which I found to be just to my tastes, very smooth.  Here's the link to Momentto Caffe  in case anyone is interested in trying low acid roasts.

• Like 1

I recently upgraded my coffee setup from the pod System to the poor over method. The coffee is excellent and the preparation takes all of about five minutes. I’m so glad I switched.

• 4 weeks later...