• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red cabbage with apples and caraway seeds

Pan

Sure. By the way, my refrigerator is so small, I've just left it out, covered, on my stove, so I'll make sure to reheat it thoroughly when I have more tonight.

Michael aka "Pan"

For what it's worth, I used this recipe for a pressure cooker version that andiesenji linked to in another thread.  I used 1/2 a head of cabbage, 1 jonagold apple, one yellow onion, 1 t caraway seeds, 2 T sherry vinegar, salt pepper and added couple spoons of cabernet jelly instead of the raisins.   All went into the Instant-Pot for 6 min at high pressure, quick release.  I thought the cooking time was right for the cabbage, still some crunch in the denser bits but the thinner outside leaves were soft so there was a nice contrast in texture.

I didn't use mustard seeds but served it with sausage and grainy mustard and I think it would be a good inclusion.

Overall, it was a bit sweet for my taste.  Next time, I will include the mustard seeds, leave out the jelly, use a tarter apple like the Granny Smith recommend in this thread and I absolutely need a new batch of caraway seeds - even after following shain's suggestion with a mortar and pestle, the flavor was not as strong as I would like.  I might try the tarter apple cider vinegar instead of the softer sherry vinegar used here and maybe throw in a handful of tart dried cherries instead of the raisins called for in the recipe I used. 

Very nice winter-y side dish.  I'm glad that it was brought up at this time.   Yesterday was chilly, rainy and windy and I was happy to have the leftovers on hand.

I posted a picture over in the Dinner thread the other day. 

• Like 1

I don't have a pressure cooker. My girlfriend has been talking about how good they are.

I agree that 1 teaspoonfull of caraway seeds is insufficient, and I would recommend more vinegar but also more apples.

• Like 1

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 years later...

It's been 4 years?!

Made this again today, after not making it for a year or two. Here's my current recipe:

• 1 large onion, cut into stripes
  • butter
  • 600g cabbage, cut into stripes
  • 1.5 granny smith apples, cut into stripes
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1 tsp caraway
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
  • 2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp chopped parsley
  • salt to taste
  • optional: egg noodles or short pasta (~150 g)

• Cook onion in butter until yellowed.
  • Add cabbage and salt, stew for 15 minutes.
  • Add apples, garlic and caraway.
  • Cook about 10 more minutes until soft enough to your taste, but still has some bite.
  • Mix in the noodles, if using.
  • Add mustard, parsley, vinegar and pepper.
  • Taste and adjust.
  • Serve with sour cream.

~ Shai N.

20 hours ago, shain said:

It's been 4 years?!

Made this again today, after not making it for a year or two. Here's my current recipe:

• 1 large onion, cut into stripes
  • butter
  • 600g cabbage, cut into stripes
  • 1.5 granny smith apples, cut into stripes
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1 tsp caraway
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
  • 2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp chopped parsley
  • salt to taste
  • optional: egg noodles or short pasta (~150 g)

• Cook onion in butter until yellowed.
  • Add cabbage and salt, stew for 15 minutes.
  • Add apples, garlic and caraway.
  • Cook about 10 more minutes until soft enough to your taste, but still has some bite.
  • Mix in the noodles, if using.
  • Add mustard, parsley, vinegar and pepper.
  • Taste and adjust.
  • Serve with sour cream.

I really like the idea of using the mustard.  I will try that next time I make mine.  Mine is from the old "New Basics" cookbook and I've been making it for about 30 years.  

• Like 2

Yum! Love red cabbage! We had leftover red cabbage yesterday. No apples this time because I'd forgotten to get one. I use way more vinegar, some sugar, and veg/chicken stock. I like the idea of adding mustard, never thought to try it. 

If you have some beets lying around, throw those in there. Gorgeous colour!

• Like 1