• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing with Amaro Montenegro

FrogPrincesse

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it is Montenegro-heavy, I decided to start a new thread!

Forged & Bound (Jacques Bezuidenhout via Gaz Regan) with Wild Turkey 101 rye whiskey, Amaro Montenegro, St. George coffee liqueur (substituted for Galliano Ristretto), green Chartreuse, Abbott's bitters (Tempus Fugit).

24144669219_e6ee6dc6aa_z.jpg

It was boozy as expected and surprisingly rough around the edges for something with so much Montenegro. Interesting flavors. Chartreuse and coffee is a great combo already, and Montenegro adds saffron and deep/muted orange peel notes.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
removed unwanted link (log)

• 2 months later...

My first attempt at making a drink from scratch and I thought it came out quite nicely:

Montenegro Bay (I was pretty proud of the name)

1.25 oz Smith and Cross rum

1 oz Amaro Montenegro

1 oz Carpano Antica

on the rocks with a lemon peel

Would love any feedback on this.

Edited by mhdousa (log)
  • Like 1

Has anybody attempted a Montenegroni?  And if not, why not?

Ah yes - apparently somebody has ...

I don't have any Montenegro in the stash.  This may have to be remedied.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Just got this Negroni-template "Lion and Rose" with Lagavulin, Montenegro, and dry vermouth from Gaz Regan's e-mail newsletter: http://www.gazregan.com/101-best-new-cocktails-lion-rose-by-samuel-tripet-lily-blacks-melbourne-victoria-australia/

Plan to try it. It scares me less than Frog's Chartreuse / Coffee combo.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

On 07/04/2016 at 10:33 PM, EvergreenDan said:

Just got this Negroni-template "Lion and Rose" with Lagavulin, Montenegro, and dry vermouth from Gaz Regan's e-mail newsletter: http://www.gazregan.com/101-best-new-cocktails-lion-rose-by-samuel-tripet-lily-blacks-melbourne-victoria-australia/

Plan to try it. It scares me less than Frog's Chartreuse / Coffee combo.

Wow ! I have to get a Montenegro Amaro bottle now.

I tried the Lion and the Rose, although with Talisker "Dark Storm" because I couldn't bear the thought of risking Lagavulin. It was quite good. I would make it again, although I might be inclined to try Islay in a Brooklyn or maybe sub Bigallet China China for the Montenegro.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Shopping day today, so the collection now includes some Montenegro.  Interesting stuff - when I was a kid there were some pink powdery sweets called Smokers, with a very distinctive, almost flowery, taste.  Montenegro reminds me of that.

But it does make a pretty good Montenegroni (1 each gin/Campari/Montenegro, with a lemon twist).  Not as dark and bitter as the original, I think, but not bad for a change.

And I've just been exploring Kindred, looking for others that sound like the sort of thing I'd like.  There seem to be several, so more reports may follow.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Continuing the Montenegro adventure tonight with a Xocula (Montenegro, Amontillado, mezcal, mole bitters).

I like it.  The sherry tames the flowery sweetness of the Montenegro quite nicely.  Nowhere near as chocolatey as its creator indicates in Kindred (and that's using my mole bitters, which are way more chocolatey than the commercial ones), but a pretty decent drink.

My eG Foodblog

The reason I bought my bottle of Montenegro in the first place was this great Manhattan variation called the Cobble Hill (Sam Ross). It's a lighter Manhattan with cucumber as an accent. I highly recommend it! Here it is with Rittenhouse rye and Dolin dry vermouth.

21302985632_4e0badc1f5_h.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse
typo (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, EvergreenDan said:

I tried the Lion and the Rose, although with Talisker "Dark Storm" because I couldn't bear the thought of risking Lagavulin. It was quite good. I would make it again, although I might be inclined to try Islay in a Brooklyn or maybe sub Bigallet China China for the Montenegro.

I tried The Lion and The Rose with its original specs. I liked it! Peaty and floral. I liked the contrast.

Lion & Rose (Samuel Tripet via Gaz Regan) with Lagavulin 16 year old scotch whisky, amaro Montenegro, Dolin dry vermouth #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #scotch #whisky #101bestnewcocktails

• 5 months later...

Montenegro as the base in a Cameron's Kick-inspired cocktail.  :)

Kingdom of Rust (Tina Ross) with Amaro Montenegro, homemade orgeat, lime juice, Glenlivet 15 scotch whisky

Kingdom of Rust (Tina Ross) with Amaro Montenegro, homemade orgeat, lime juice, Glenlivet 15 scotch whisky.

Bitter and a bit sweet. The Montenegro dominates and that's fine with me; the scotch contributes a slightly peaty, slightly meaty note.