• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perly's Deli - Richmond VA

Kim Shook

Yesterday was Jessica’s 32nd birthday.  She was going up to Washington for a concert so we met for breakfast at Perly’s a Richmond deli.  This place has been open for over 50 years in one guise or another.  This was my first visit and I can’t believe that I’ve never been before.  It is exactly the kind of place that we would have loved when I was in college and within walking distance of school.  My friends and I would have spent every Saturday morning here if we’d known about it.  My breakfast:

DSCN1243.JPG.00381b2a38306cd32ba11301f99

Pumpernickel bagel with olive cream cheese, smoked sausage, latke w/ warm applesauce and chive sour cream and perfectly poached eggs.  Mr. Kim’s:

DSCN1244.JPG.0a230c94548b08b59c51807ddd7

Corned beef hash with an egg and Russian hollandaise, a salad w/ pickled cauliflower.  Jessica’s:

DSCN1245.thumb.JPG.22df4aaf7f2b10ab7cb45

ET bagel w/ herb cream cheese and more of those poached eggs.  They brought her two kinds of hollandaise – Russian and dill.  Everything was delicious!

• Like 5