• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Quesadilla with pulled pork, spinach, mushrooms and cheese:

Oooh. I have the makings for that. May be on the menu for dinner tonight!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Toast with home-made cherry jam. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After a week of eating nothing but European food in Paris, and being too busy to cook at all last week with starting a new job etc, I have been close to tears with cravings for food from the motherland, which is to me...Hong Kong Cantonese.

So this morning for Sunday breakfast I made wonton noodles; egg noodles, blanched in chicken stock, with wilted greens, prawn and pork wontons, a little chunk of pork belly I char siu'd with maltose and soy sauce and garlic and a square of fermented tofu (it's the traditional recipe), slices of steamed lup cheong, and lots of oyster sauce, dark sweet soy and white pepper. And crispy chilli sauce and ginger oil.

And lo, I was happy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 17

This is most unlike me. I was in a local store yesterday and noticed that they were selling this German muesli on special offer. Normally around 65 pictures of Chairman Mao per kg, it was going for only 45.

On a whim, I bought a bag.

muesli.jpg

I even remembered to buy some cow juice. I haven't eaten muesli in aeons, but thoroughly enjoyed it this morning.

muesli2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
formatting (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Partly inspired by an ingredient.   I had an early morning grocery delivery and among the items were some white potatoes that looked incredibly fresh and I could not resist slicing one on my mandoline and frying it in duck fat.  The sausages are labelled as English bangers (perhaps they were stuffed by an Englishman?).  But it was a satisfactory breakfast complete with a little puddle of HP sauce.

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2nd breakfast.  Ricotta, dark chocolate and dried cherry quesadillas:

Choco quesadillas.jpg

Topped with powdered sugar, red bell pepper and ancho chile jam, fleur de sel caramel sauce and naked.  I liked the plain naked or powdered sugar versions best.  The caramel sauce was also pretty good.  I think the jam would have been better inside the quesadillas, maybe instead of the cherries.

Served on the patio, with a third cup of coffee, after the sun finally decided to show up on this May gray day.

On the patio.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg

Toasted English muffin with ricotta and homemade jam.  Nothing new here EXCEPT I felt I had to try commercial ricotta to see if I might be missing something.  Glad I did.  Much prefer my own. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Still the best. image.jpeg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

An early morning appointment that might last many hours dictated a substantial breakfast. A steak and Gruyere melt on a toasted English muffin (stacked to hide the partially eaten one)!  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Best thing for breakfast on freezing cold, rainy mornings; the zong zi sticky rice dumplings I made ages ago and froze; glutinous rice, stuffed with a chunk of soy-sauce red braised pork belly, mung beans, chestnuts and a whole salted duck egg yolk, wrapped in bamboo leaves and then steamed and cut open and doused with chilli sauce.

And then I was still hungry, so second breakfast, aka treasures from the freezer continued; Balmain bug tail meat, brushed in white soy and honey and lightly flame torched. On sushi rice, wrapped in Korean seasoned seaweed, and down the hatch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10