• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

waffle.JPG

Waffle with homemade ricotta and apple butter canned last fall. Unfortunately, no indigo bunting. But I did have a five-year-old, who's been my breakfast, lunch and dinner guest for the past three days, and has been helping in the kitchen. She makes a mean meatball.

callan.JPG

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have two more meals I'm able to cook in my little Paris kitchen before I have to fly out to Dubai tonight (wish me luck; I'm not normally a nervous flier, but EgyptAir has rattled me), so got up early this morning to make breakfast with these lovely girolles mushrooms, sautéed in butter and eaten on bread.

With a slightly 'incongruous but I have to use it up' side of saucisson sec.

I've never eaten girolles before, much less cooked them, so I have no idea if I've done right by them, but my French friend ate them happily, so I can't have done terribly.

And then two doughnut peaches, a glass of wild blueberry nectar, and it's back to bed till lunch! Ah, holidays. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13

20 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Breakfast with a Cape Cod view

image.jpeg

Okay, this is an amazing photograph by any standards, but on the second look, on a smaller scale, it appears to be a literal flying saucer bearing a very enticing breakfast sandwich suspended without credible means of support. I see a suggestion of something that might be a railing on your deck, but the right side of the plate appears to float without its center of balance supported.

Very lovely food and photography, as usual @liamsaunt, but some of us may wonder if you are endowed with magical powers if you do not give us more info into on how you captured this amazing image. :)

Personally, I'd also love to hear what was in your breakfast sandwich as well.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Okay, this is an amazing photograph by any standards, but on the second look, on a smaller scale, it appears to be a literal flying saucer bearing a very enticing breakfast sandwich suspended without credible means of support. I see a suggestion of something that might be a railing on your deck, but the right side of the plate appears to float without its center of balance supported.

Very lovely food and photography, as usual @liamsaunt, but some of us may wonder if you are endowed with magical powers if you do not give us more info into on how you captured this amazing image. :)

Personally, I'd also love to hear what was in your breakfast sandwich as well.

Hahaha! I made my husband hold the plate with his hand flat like a waiter so I could get the water view in there. It is an egg, cheese and apple sausage sandwich.image.jpeg

This morning's breakfast: huevos rancheros. No flying saucer effect this morning as husband was still sleeping when I made this.

• Like 10

I had the pleasure of dining at Pam's Farmhouse Restaurant for the first time in many years.

Neither myself nor my husband usually eats breakfast, but for some reason, this morning at about 7:30 AM I was starved and craving country ham and biscuits. I've been sick and not eating as much as usual, but I seem to be kicking it now, and my appetite came back at an unexpected time with a vengeance.

I asked my husband if he would be amenable, and for an unknown reason, he said he would be down immediately. I told him not to hurry, as I needed to get the computer fired up and research a little. First I thought of Hardee's for country ham egg and cheese biscuits we could take home. Then I thought of Pam's which is just down the road a piece. It's a sit down place, and compares well with Hardee's takeout on price, by the time everything is considered. 

So we got there about 8:00, but there was still a problem parking. You have to know where to go, and when I told my husband to duck behind the gas station into the gravel parking lot, he started arguing, but we eventually got there and parked.

Then there was already the start of a line already. There was one couple ahead of us and we had all advanced into the area by the cash register from the broad hallway leading to Pam's and the private club bar that shares the entrance. The Goat is a private club that is never open when Pam's is. That link to "The Goat" is a You Tube video apparently put out by their management to promote themselves. I forced myself to watch it through to the credits ending so I could share it, but be warned. This is 8-1/2 minutes of video, and the videographer  seems to love the nauseating shaky-cam approach. It includes rap music, much alcohol abuse, and a brief moment of what I think are Rock M Sock M Robots in a ring, but it also includes many pretty young females. YMMV 9_9 Not recommended for most, but if you want to have a glimpse into the incongruous business that occupies the building with Pam's old-fashioned southern eats breakfast and lunch restaurant it is interesting. It was to me, because I have never been to The Goat.

I'd be real surprised if there was any affiliation between Pam and The Goat other that perhaps landlord/tenant.

Anyway, back to breakfast. Here we are waiting with the other couple ahead of us next to cash register, and here comes the very buxom hostess. She's the youngest employee in the place at about 40-ish and still pretty in her blue jeans and tight t-shirt. She orders us miscreant customers back behind the line of metal that divides the broad and beautiful tiled stone hallway from the restaurant proper so the "other customers can see the ATM". It's a cash only place with no website, and the onsite ATM is a new innovation since the last time I darkened their doors. The man of the couple in front says, "I feel like you're a teacher, and I'm back in grade school." with some good natured humor. The four of us retreat to the designated area.

We actually waited less than ten minutes, but during this time, at least twelve people confidently swaggered past us in the broad passage and into the restaurant. Regulars with privilege? Meeting an already seated party? Then our hostess comes back before seating any of us four who were waiting earlier and calls for a party of five or more. They move out of line from behind us and are seated before us. Now I am getting mad, but still keen on experiencing a Pam's breakfast from the good old days. I hung in, and in a couple more minutes, here comes the hostess to lead us to a four-top, and we were handed menus. Gotta go with the flow at Pam's.

I already knew what I wanted. The country ham steak with two eggs over easy, grits with red eye gravy and biscuits. My husband ordered the sausage omelet and same as I did except he asked for toast. I Immediately said, "The biscuits are wonderful, here, hon, you're makin' a mistake." Our elderly waitress let out a laugh, and he, for once, didn't argue and corrected his order. He agreed he was glad later. :)

Sadly, there was no sign of Pam herself. She is such a character. I used to stop in for breakfast on my way to the Y  for work when I could roust myself out early enough. I'd come by for the lunches sometimes, that were heavy on the southern vegetables, but featured great meats like fried chicken, roast chicken, chicken fried steak, meat loaf, pork chops, even liver and onions, but it rotated, and you ordered the lunch from a hand written and copied flier clipped to the laminated one. I often opted for the four veggie lunch plate, because they were all so well prepared. The fried chicken and pork chops were irresistible at times too.

Pam was warm and friendly to everyone, regulars and newcomers, and a very high energy lady, flitting around everywhere. I got to be sort of a regular myself. I was noticeable coming in so early into a mostly empty restaurant for breakfast and dressed differently from most of the patrons and employees. I really missed seeing her again and hearing her call me "hon". I have to see if I can get back there when she is there. It would be interesting to see if she remembers me from all those years ago.

All of that nostalgic stuff said, the food is smaller portions, more expensive, and perhaps not up to my memory. The ham steak was only 1/3 the size that used to be served. I thought at first that the red eye gravy, while it looked good, might not even be real. It's supposed to be made from country ham drippings and fond with coffee. I tasted it with a spoon plain, and it was as it should be. The problem was that the small portion of grits wasn't salted at all. The ham wasn't browned at all, so that made the fat inedible. The good news is that while the service is still brisk and no-nonsense, it is very efficient and friendly, and the biscuits are as wonderful as ever!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I've been meaning to try out this idea for a while, and while the sugar and butter content really isn't what I should be eating, heck it was for Sunday breakfast.  Banana sticky buns.  I used my recipe for caramel rolls yet with bananas.  Started by sauteeing sliced banana in brown sugar, butter, a bit of corn syrup and cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.  Then a good glog of rum.  I use a sweet dough that is rolled out and then brushed with butter, more spices and a scattering of currants.  I forgot to add in some toasted pecans to the caramel and banana sauce.  Then the rolled and cut buns are placed on the warm banana caramel sauce and left to rise.  Then in a 375 oven for about 25 minutes. 

IMG_0441.JPGIMG_0444.JPGIMG_0448.JPG

• Like 9

@David Ross  

absolutely brilliant.  im not that much a banana person, and almost gone my bananas in ' banana bread ' hold not interest for me

the semi- upside-down cake, buns etc  I find alluring.

the first time I looked into bananas Foster and made them was a revelation.  its from a firm banana.

did you add any rum ?

Id more than enjoy your Rx.

Kodos your way .

51 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@David Ross  

absolutely brilliant.  im not that much a banana person, and almost gone my bananas in ' banana bread ' hold not interest for me

the semi- upside-down cake, buns etc  I find alluring.

the first time I looked into bananas Foster and made them was a revelation.  its from a firm banana.

did you add any rum ?

Id more than enjoy your Rx.

Kodos your way .

Yes a good dose of spiced rum.

image.jpeg

Sometimes all you need when there is fresh, homemade bread in the house is to toast it, butter it and enjoy it.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast this morning was purely serendipitous.  My spiralizer made its way home after a long absence.  A friend brought me three small kohlrabi.  I was reading the recent topic on uses for gochujang. So I give you "Korean Kohlrabi with a Fried Egg". 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Inspired by @blue_dolphin. Home-made bread, "ricotta" and rhubarb-strawberry jam. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Carrot cake left over from a celebration last night. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog