• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patrick S

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Decided to go simple this morning with a sort of Mexican bruschetta. A slice of fresh Italian bread that had been generously drizzled with a good Sicilian olive oil and then topped with some freshly made fiery hot Mexican salsa. So good, I had a second.

HC

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

• Like 5

I'm dieting again....just a couple more pounds to go.  So, my breakfast is 1/4 fresh pineapple pieces topped with 1 oz of ham.  (No need for a picture.)  Maybe a poppadum which I find keeps me feeling more satisfied seeing it is made with lentil flour.  Argh!>:(

• Like 3

Just finished breakfast.

IMG_9537.jpg

My neighbour's home made blood sausage, poached duck egg, my home made rosemary bread with butter.

IMG_9544.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

image.jpeg

I finally made a loaf of Ken Forkish Saturday Bread and kept it for myself!   This morning I toasted a slice and topped it with my favourite blue cheese.  

• Like 8

Corn beef hash, grilled cheese, freshly squeezed apple and grapefruit juice, coffee au lait

image.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Corn beef hash, grilled cheese, freshly squeezed apple and grapefruit juice, coffee au lait

image.jpg

I believe cardboard would be good with that view.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, kayb said:

I believe cardboard would be good with that view.

I agree, kayb, but the breakfast looks mighty fine too. Fresh squeezed juice! I'm in.

Although I don't keep kosher for passover and keeps eating whatever I want, I do wait every year for the holiday's food, including matzo (which I find to be delicious :) ).

A favorite of mine is simply piece of matzo with cottage cheese and pungent chazeret (grated horseradish and sweet beetroot). It sounds a little weird, but it's delicious.

20160423_204242.jpg

• Like 4

Asparagus, bacon, egg and toast.  All of which needed using up.image.jpegx

• Like 8

Got some man'oushe bread from a friend, topped with zaatar and olive oil, traditionally baked until well browned and slightly crisp in the edges.

20160424_122548.jpg20160424_122554.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/24/2016 at 6:53 AM, shain said:

Although I don't keep kosher for passover and keeps eating whatever I want, I do wait every year for the holiday's food, including matzo (which I find to be delicious :) ).

A favorite of mine is simply piece of matzo with cottage cheese and pungent chazeret (grated horseradish and sweet beetroot). It sounds a little weird, but it's delicious.

20160423_204242.jpg

I'm with you on that approach to the holiday, I put leftover charoset (chopped apple/walnut/dried apricot relish) on my morning oats

• Like 1

@shane 

looks tasty Shane

i just used a horseradish cream and beet purée with my baked gefilte fish at our last Seder. Flavors work nicely together.  I don't mind matzoh either.  But by day 8 the family is done

our harosset is a date based.  Sweet stuff. 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

@BeeZee Oats with charroset sounds very tasty and makes much since, given that all ingredients are common additions by themselves.

@scubadoo97 Iv'e never seen a baked gefilte fish, only boiled. 

Today I made matzebrei and charoset to accompaniment it.

My charroset is made with cooked tart apple and dates in almost equal proportions, some raisins and toasted walnuts, a little sweet red wine. Spiced with cinnamon, a touch of black pepper, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice. I blend it until quite smooth then add some more thinly chopped walnuts for texture.

20160426_125650.jpg20160426_123921.jpg

Defiantly not the most aesthetic of preparations, but such is Ashkenazi food at it's best.

20160426_161020.jpg

• Like 3

well...charoset is supposed to resemble mortar...

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Fried egg sandwiches.   One of the very few reasons I keep ketchup in the house.  These sandwiches can only be made with fresh bread in my opinion and this was the bread that I posted about in The Bread Topic. Despite all the challenges  the bread turned out just fine.  

• Like 9

image.jpeg

If there is a better way to start the day it hasn't made it into my repertoire yet.  I was given some farm fresh eggs yesterday and I swear my sleep was disturbed by my wish for morning to arrive quickly.  Gently poached eggs, toasted home-made sour cream sandwich loaf and a black coffee. Damn. Life is good. 

• Like 18

@Anna N, your breakfast is killing me!  I've been out of eggs for a while now, pending today's local farmers' market.  I know I could run out for some grocery store eggs but I'm holding out for the best!

• Like 1

@Anna N  

all you need is some sausage on that plate to make it perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

If there is a better way to start the day it hasn't made it into my repertoire yet.  I was given some farm fresh eggs yesterday and I swear my sleep was disturbed by my wish for morning to arrive quickly.  Gently poached eggs, toasted home-made sour cream sandwich loaf and a black coffee. Damn. Life is good. 

Definitely my kind of breakfast! Makes me wish I had some fresh eggs right now so I could have that.

• Like 1

Poached duck eggs, English muffin, home fries w onions and a cappuccino. The barter system is in full swing. Fresh salsa for fresh duck eggs. What's not to like?

HC

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

• Like 12

A scaled-down, 2-egg version of this shaved asparagus frittata from Smitten Kitchen:

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

I didn't have prosciutto or scallions so I browned some diced pancetta and thinly sliced onions in the pan before adding the rest of the ingredients. 

• Like 12

Local strawberries, homemade Instant Pot yogurt, homemade granola. No photo because I forgot, but it surely was good.

• Like 5

image.jpeg

Breakfast tostada with fried egg, salsa and grated cheese. 

• Like 7

A few refried beans Anna N and that would be a perfect breakfast! xD

• Like 2

and a Mimosa with a shot of tequila mixed in.

• Like 5