Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patrick S

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Recommended Posts

This morning. Blood sausage, poached duck egg, home baked olive bread with butter. Coffee.

 

IMG_8681.jpg

 

IMG_8684.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kayb said:

@Ann_T, will you and Moe adopt me?

Kayb, :D

 

Another postponed dinner becomes breakfast.

 

Roast%20Top%20Sirloin%20Sterling%20Silve 

Roasted a little presalted Sterling Sliver Top Sirloin roast for breakfast. Roasted at 500°F for about 30 minutes.  Took it out of the oven at 118°F and it rose to 122°F

while resting.

 

Roast%20Top%20Sirloin%20Sterling%20Silve

Moe put in three hours at the workshop early this morning and came home at 8:00 for a roast beef breakfast. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26272022815_3f89d3af0b.jpg

 

Dinner left me some asparagus and potatoes, so I cut them up and added a bit of roasted red pepper and

a little chorizo, and fried it all together. Then I threw a few eggs in there and called it hash. It's not, but

it was tasty.

 

26246087846_466fc2266d.jpg

 

Homemade wheat bread, toasted. Normandy butter.

And a frittata made with leftover spaghetti Amatriciana.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@weinoo

 

The colours of your hash are just amazing. 

 

image.jpeg

 

Smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese on toasted English muffin topped with sliced cucumber.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smörgåsbord of leftovers for breakfast, aka "refrigerator clean up." 

The last wedge of spinach quiche, chicken on toasted sourdough made with the last of a roasted chicken thigh and some leftover potato and asparagus salad on arugula:

IMG_2748.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime you need your refrigerator cleaned out, please call me.  That meal looks wonderful  When I try that, I end up with three sad peas, hal fof  a very limp tomato, something that might have started life as a sausage and that damn jar of pickles that no one likes very much.  If it is a good day, I can scrounge up a heel of bread to hide the mess in.  Trade me?  Didn't think so!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leftover Yorkshire pudding, cold roast potatoes and gravy, clean up breakfast of champions :D 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy with both Blue Dolphin and Tere's breakfast. 

 

Beef dip sandwiches this morning

 

 

Roast%2520Top%2520Sirloin%2520Beef%2520D.  

Leftover roast beef on home-made mini baguettes. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is strange that beef dip isn't really a thing in the UK, given our national gravy obsession. Or poutine. I only got to try it a few times when an exchange student just over the border with Montreal, but I loved it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a collection of different foods for breakfast.  Mine are sadly boring so no posts from me.  I live in envy.....DH is a cereal eater.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

egg.jpg

 

This morning. Hard boiled duck egg with toasted olive bread.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That hard boiled duck egg has an interesting contrast in texture.  Did you do something to accentuate the differences between the yolk and the white?  It looks as though the white was soft enough to carve smoothly but the yolk was set enough to be craggy and jagged.

 

I'm admiring your toast, by the way.  :smile: I do love a good olive bread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That hard boiled duck egg has an interesting contrast in texture.  Did you do something to accentuate the differences between the yolk and the white?  It looks as though the white was soft enough to carve smoothly but the yolk was set enough to be craggy and jagged.

 

I'm admiring your toast, by the way.  :smile: I do love a good olive bread.

 

I boiled the egg by putting it in cold water, bringing it to the boil. After one minute I removed the pan from the heat and let the egg sit in the water about 10 to 15 minutes. As the water cools the egg continues to cook.

 

The olive bread is nearly finished. Time to make another loaf, soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait wait wait, is that a little hand holding your egg???  That is so cool!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wait wait wait, is that a little hand holding your egg???  That is so cool!

 I was trying to figure that one out and I think you're right! It is cool. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was inspired by the smoked salmon cream cheese English muffin @Anna N had for breakfast yesterday.  

IMG_2753.jpg

 

Having neither salmon nor English muffins, I mixed up a smoked trout spread with cream cheese, crème fraîche, capers, shallot, red bell pepper, parsley, lemon juice and smoked trout.  Sliced and toasted a rosemary roll and roasted some asparagus.  

I would never try to roast such skinny asparagus in the oven but 10 min of steam-bake in the Cuisi oven did them up just fine.

IMG_2751.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wait wait wait, is that a little hand holding your egg???  That is so cool!

 

Ah! My little hand things! Thereby hangs a tale.

 

hands.jpg

 

I bought these two a while back. I was in a local kitchen supply place - not a very good one - looking for something else when I saw these. They amused me, so I bought them.

 

I had no idea what they were intended for. Conversations with Chinese friends on Chinese social media sites came up with as many answers as friends. Everyone had a different idea - some plausible; most not.

 

I remain 90% convinced that they are used in tea ceremonies to hold tea strainers. I'm 99% sure they are tea related. The section where I found them is very tea related - although they have no strainers that size.

Anyway, I was boiling my egg this morning and realised I don't seem to have unpacked any eggcups (it's only eleven months since I moved home) so...

 

Glad you enjoyed them!

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

 

Ah! My little hand things! Thereby hangs a tale.

 

hands.jpg

 

I bought these two a while back. I was in a local kitchen supply place - not a very good one - looking for something else when I saw these. They amused me, so I bought them.

 

I had no idea what they were intended for. Conversations with Chinese friends on Chinese social media sites came up with as many answers as friends. Everyone had a different idea - some plausible; most not.

 

I remain 90% convinced that they are used in tea ceremonies to hold tea strainers. I'm 99% sure they are tea related. The section where I found them is very tea related - although they have no strainers that size.

Anyway, I was boiling my egg this morning and realised I don't seem to have unpacked any eggcups (it's only eleven months since I moved home) so...

 

Glad you enjoyed them!

 

One of the neatest things I've seen in a while.  I like stuff like this.  I would have (very wrongly) guessed they were chopstick holders lol.   Thank you for telling us about them!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelby said:

One of the neatest things I've seen in a while.  I like stuff like this.  I would have (very wrongly) guessed they were chopstick holders lol.   Thank you for telling us about them!

 

Yes, chopstick rests was one of the many answers and I have used them as such. Versatile things are hands!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I remain 90% convinced that they are used in tea ceremonies to hold tea strainers.

 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-ceramic-tea-strainer-free-shipping-hot-selling-special-sale/1670912390.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.65.u9Hokr

 

I'm tempted! :)


Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

 

$10!!! I paid about 50 cents for the two. I'm in the wrong line of business.

 

Well, shipping is included and Shanghai is ~7,250 miles from my doorstep; so the price isn't a big surprise. :)


Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Shelby said:

SO neat.  

 

I don't like tea but that would make me tempted to drink it lol.

Or eat a lot of boiled eggs.

They ARE cute. If I weren't on a mission to get rid of "stuff"....

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×