• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

Host's note: this topic is continued from Breakfast! 2015.

Flaky, all-butter buttermilk biscuits with egg and cheddar. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 20

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I wish it was Sunday again:

24519022351_d405bb7d64.jpg   24519083921_6ff4c6c040.jpg

Breakfast roll No. 1 - lokše (Czech lefse), crispy bacon, brussel sprouts, potato rosti

Breakfast roll No. 2 - lokše (Czech lefse), crispy bacon, cucumber, scrambled eggs

• Like 6

Vlcatko

@HungryChris,  how do you reheat your home fries?  Is the texture the same after reheating as when fresh out of the pan?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy,

Just high, fast heat in a fry pan to crisp them up. I actually think the texture is better that way. I got the idea from a diner I go to occasionally. In the old days you could watch the action in the kitchen from your seat, now, sadly, it's done behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Patrick – absolutely gorgeous biscuits!

We finally got out of the house and to the store this afternoon, but were still snowed in this morning.  So breakfast was the order of the day, of course.  Mr. Kim’s:

DSCN1236.JPG.b05af13f803e712ac0c51874e3e

Mine:

DSCN1237.thumb.JPG.1821f2c01e881f7105b40

That toast in the back is from the loaf I baked in the breadmaker yesterday:

DSCN1238.JPG.14cc902af3708ce3cbeb8a70bc2

As I thought, it made great toast!

• Like 7

Couple of recent breakfasts:

56a78cd0d7a13_poachedeggyolk.png.3555dc5

Taking a page from Anna N's book, poached egg yolks (I will forever be grateful to Anna for letting me know about silicone egg-poaching pods) on toast with bacon.

56a78d752d902_mapledateoats.png.84de8295

Steel-cut oats with dates and maple syrup.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

Thank you. Always happy to help.  Your eggs look like the perfect consistency for my taste.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kim Shook, those are some wonderful looking breakfasts!  @HungryChris, those home fries look wonderful.  I'd like to have some of them in my leftover collection!  And I love the poached eggs on toast that @kayb and @Anna N have posted recently.  

Another leftover tamale egg-stravaganza:

IMG_2460.thumb.jpg.cfae8b45b23d89b9f5b1e

Half a chicken tamale dotted with a bit of green chile adobo, herby green chile rice (from last night's dinner) and spinach, topped with a slightly overcooked poached egg.  Very satisfying!

Yesterday, I got back from a little over a week in Houston.  I had the same hotel kitchenette breakfast almost every day - toasted raisin bread with peanut butter and banana and a couple of prunes or apple slices and a large Starbucks coffee.  So nice to cook something up today.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@kayb

Thank you. Always happy to help.  Your eggs look like the perfect consistency for my taste.

Those were poached in a saucepan, put in when the water boiled, covered, turned down to simmer, three minutes, and out. 

Seemed like too much trouble to get the IP out to cook two egg yolks and a tad of white.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, Patrick S said:

Flaky, all-butter buttermilk biscuits with egg and cheddar. 

image.jpg

Great-looking biscuits! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the?

• Like 4

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2 hours ago, MSRadell said:

Great-looking biscuits! Would you mind sharing the recipe for the?

I'd be happy to. I used a Cook's Illustrated recipe, which you can find here. The recipe is pretty simple, and uses a fold-roll-turn method similar to a danish or croissant dough. I think there were 5 turns in all. Very rich and buttery.

PS - I see that you live in Anchorage, not far from my neck of the woods!

• Like 4

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Beans on toast again:

IMG_2465.thumb.jpg.1954d6cccd092c9a71633

RG alubia beans mixed with some of that lovely green chile adobo from More Mexican Everyday on toasted ciabatta, topped with cheese.  Apple slices alongside.

I am loving that green chile adobo and want to put it on everything.  I included the jar in the photo so you can see the lovely green color.

• Like 6

Cannot help myself. The first thing on my mind when I woke up this morning was the fresh eggs in my fridge.   And the best way that I know of to show off farm fresh eggs is to poach them to perfection. image.thumb.jpeg.9f334c4ff56aec1a5832f29 This time I put them on a toasted English muffin and dusted them with Japanese spice.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Bought a little too much fresh flounder for dinner last night and decided to broil up the last of it while still fresh. An unusual breakfast for me, but good, nonetheless. Had it with an egg, pickled zucchini ribbons and a compari tomato.

56acd390b7508_BreakfastFlounder.thumb.jp

Edited by HungryChris
Compari (log)
  • Like 8

I should have just put this nice poached egg on toast or an English muffin as @Anna N did but I wanted to try one of the rosemary rolls I bought at TJ's yesterday.

Bacon, egg and Swiss on a rosemary parmesan roll.  

IMG_2473.thumb.jpg.8c4702ba0cac666d33fd5

I'm not sure how I thought I was going to eat this soft, runny egg on a very crusty roll as a sandwich, but be assured that it was all consumed and delicious.

• Like 10

On 1/28/2016 at 9:50 AM, Ann_T said:

Moe requested one of his favourite breakfasts.  Soft boiled eggs with buttered toast fingers.

Moe is one lucky guy! But I suspect he realizes that.  :)

Edited to add: Does Moe like to cook, also? I get the sense that you are the cook/baker/breadmaker etc but maybe Moe has his specialty, also. Not saying that he has to be a cook, of course. I know he does woodwork, etc. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.f5dc60a194de72e13b5854a

Crustless quiche made in the Instant Pot yesterday.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog