• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

Breakfast this morning was a McDonald's sausage and egg McMuffin and a side of hashbrowns.   A very special breakfast because it was a surprise treat from my daughter and she visited with me while I ate it.  Eating alone is not always as much fun as it's cracked up to be! 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We've been eating plenty of yogurt, since I made a big batch.

Breakfasts consisted of yogurt with banana and cinnamon; and yogurt with semi-frozen strawberry puree.

20160514_104701.jpg20160514_103129.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

Late breakfast today utilizing last night's tasty leftovers, specifically my first attempt at making  green chile pork.  Chilies used were jalapeños, cubanelles, and poblanos.  I really envy those that have ready access to New Mexican Hatch chilies which is what I wanted to use but I've never come across any fresh ones in this area.  Still delicious though; will be making this again.

Had this along with two corn tortillas, two unintentional eggs over medium, homemade salsa using some particularly tasty Roma tomatoes, sour cream, Tabasco sauce, and orange juice. I was all set up to take a picture but I seem to have lost my touch in one-handed cracking of eggs and ended up breaking both yolks >:( so instead of pretty sunny side up runny yolk eggs I ended up with two ugly over medium ones. Not photogenic at all.

BTW, while making the salsa yesterday and tasting to see if it needed additional seasoning, I found myself saying something I thought I would never, ever hear myself say, namely "hmmm, this needs more cilantro." As I have posted here on several occasions, I loathe cilantro (to me it tastes like an unholy ménage a trois between soap, dirt, and sweat) and hate the fact that it seems to be added to everything these days.  The only way I actually like it is in Mexican food, at least in certain dishes like salsa and pico de gallo, though I didn't add any to the green chile pork. That would have taken it too far!:D

• Like 4

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Well, I'm in Paris. And I sincerely hate having to get dressed and presentable and all that BEFORE eating when on holiday, so I'm buying lots of food to eat in. 

So, my breakfast! A couple shards of the mighty mimolette cheese, with its craggy, cratered, mite-ridden rind a wonder to behold; a stinky aged goats' cheese; and a jambon beurre, with ham, this lovely cultured butter with crunchy sea salt flakes, and a very good ficelle from the bakery next door. And this palmier, rich with butter and caramelised sugar.

Downsides; the murky dishwater that will have to suffice as my first coffee this week, and that I can't find any dinner plates. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13

Your breakfast looks yummy.  In my twenties, I went on a 3 day pass to Paris.  In effect, I only had one full day there.  I wanted to see the Louvre most of all so I asked directions from a Gendarme in what I thought was French.  I didn't understand a single word he said. Not even a simple Nord, Oust or anything. I went in the direction he pointed and after a few blocks, I asked someone else.  Each time i went where they pointed and eventually got there.  During the day, I am sure I ordered different things to eat but they all brought me a ham and cheese sandwich on French bread.  Crusty French bread.  BTW I didn't know cheeses were made other than by Kraft.  At the Louvre I found a room where they had a buffet laid out for people to get a snack. They had baguettes, cheeses and ham.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

Breakfast! I had leftover mimolette cheese and ham, so I decided to make Breton crepes. I caramelised onions till sweet to contrast the saltiness of the ham and cheese (though I really do prefer salty to sweet, despite what @Duvel would have you believe ;)) The colours are a bit garish, but whatever.

Made even Bretonnier by adding some of this incredible Breizh butter that's churned with toasted, cracked buckwheat (sarrasin, a staple of Brittany), and then happily toasting my culinary chops with two glasses of Breton hard cider; because if you're not drinking at 8.30am on your holiday, you're just not doing it right.

And then despite, uh, what I just said about preferring salt, I had a couple more chunks of my beloved Praluline; a buttery brioche bun stuffed to the gills with pralines roses, pink sugared almonds; most crunchy, some melted down to sweet gooey puddles in the bun.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Mushrooms sautéed in butter on toast I reckon.

Correct me if I'm wrong please Captain ...

That is what I think too but it took some time to figure it out. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Still eating my way through Paris at a rate of knots...Slices of jamon iberico on pain aux cereales bread, and a couple of slices of a rich, oozy Camembert that's been aged in Calvados apple brandy.

The jamon is amazing stuff; it's so pungently umami and intense that you put a piece in your mouth and it's so high with forest and earth and acorns and dirt that you almost immediately cough.. in a good way.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10

image.jpeg

Toasted home-made pain de mie with home-made lime marmalade. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Pancakes and eggs, the princess granddaughter wanted, and pancakes and eggs she got. New pancake recipe made with cottage cheese and cooked oatmeal; I had to add 1/3 cup a/p flour to be able to flip them. Her egg was over easy and she had three pancakes with maple syrup. I went with scrambled and two pancakes with apple butter.

pancakes and eggs.JPG

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Anna N's breakfast got me thinking of marmalade so...toast (sadly not from homemade bread) topped with homemade ricotta and homemade lemon-rosemary marmalade.

IMG_2891.jpg

The sun should eventually come out later today but the marmalade added some early sunshine to an overcast morning.  

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

Cannot begin to tell you how many times I have bought the milk and the lemon juice to make ricotta. Milk is not something I normally keep in the house except some small cartons of shelf-stable milk so it requires a special notation on my grocery list. Somehow the milk gets used up but the ricotta never gets made!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N,  I don't keep milk around either but I had both whole milk and half & half leftover from the brunch I hosted last week and I've been enjoying this batch.  I'd sent my brother out for the smallest container of milk and he came back with a 2 qt carton so I have lots!

I know real ricotta is made from leftover whey from sheep's milk cheese in Italy, not from leftover cows milk in my kitchen but I think it's still a treat :D!

• Like 2

image.jpeg

More breakfast then I usually eat but I have an appointment right at noon today so lunch is unlikely to happen. The smoked sausages are chicken, kale and  Asiago cheese. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Tuna salad with capers on a leftover mini croissant (nicely revived in the Cuisi steam oven), raw sugar snap peas, jicama and carrots and few bread & butter pickle slices:

IMG_2898.jpg

I could have the same thing for lunch.  Or not.  We'll see.

• Like 7

My last duck egg, toast and home fries with peppers and onions. Last evening, I took some photos of an indigo bunting at the bird feeder and decided to document the little chap's dinner along with my breakfast.

HC

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

• Like 5