• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

@robie; May - October. But me, I'm a 'getting sick' overachiever and can drop a cold at the height of summer, in the rosy bloom of spring, any time in the year, me. (Working an insanely stressful job and working it 80 hours a week may have something to do with that.)

But not for the next fortnight! I'm on holidays! (So decided to get a cold on the first day, naturally).

My tradition for beach holidays is that I take with me all the last bits of jam in the jars from my fridge and make scones for breakfast on the first morning. Which was just the thing after a sunrise walk along this beauty.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Okay, which beach ?

• Like 1

image.jpeg

The last smidge of my blue cheese crumbled on home made ciabbata and served on the oft despised slate. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Bacon butty -- home made bun. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Inspired by @JoNorvelleWalker's topic on peas. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

That looks lovely. As I love anything one can do with spring peas, I believe I'll have to try that.

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

That looks lovely. As I love anything one can do with spring peas, I believe I'll have to try that.

Just to keep everything honest and above board these are frozen peas!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

No matter. While I love fresh ones, as noted in the Pea topic, the ones you buy are generally not so fresh, and I haven't had access to any to pick in a long time. 

Just finished breakfast -- yogurt, granola, blueberries. Still hungry. May snatch the bag of frozen peas from the freezer...

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Leftovers, including quiche du yesterjour:

IMG_2866.jpg

Ahhhh, the last of the houseguests here since Thursday for a family wedding departed via airport shuttle at early this AM.  The travelers only wanted coffee, fruit and yogurt before hitting the road but as soon as they left, I assembled a meal of leftovers from the brunch I hosted yesterday.  Spinach, mushroom and onion quiche, croissant and fresh fruit.  Eaten while enjoying one of the wedding centerpieces.  

• Like 13

Yum! And the centerpiece is absolutely lovely. No doubt amped the flavor level of brunch several steps, though it looks pretty fine as is.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Confusion cuisine.  Sort of breakfast burritos. Italian sausage, scallions, bell peppers, scrambled egg, salsa and sour cream. Store bought flour tortillas - yech. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

re:  SBFT's

nuke them until just warm

the torch them a bit.  I recall you do not have a gas range, but an intuition one ?  

Induction won't help you here

but try it.

much better

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

re:  SBFT's

nuke them until just warm

the torch them a bit.  I recall you do not have a gas range, but an intuition one ?  

Induction won't help you here

but try it.

much better

Yeah I did nuke them.  I suspect the Amazon boxes loved by Mr. Cat would taste better!  I should just make my own. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh Anna, that looks so good.  

Soft%20boiled%20eggs%20May%2010th%2C%202

Today's breakfast - Moe's. - Soft boiled eggs with toasted baguette.

Mixed%20May%207th%2C%20baked%20May%2010t

Bread was still warm . Baked this morning.

Yesterday's breakfast was actually suppose to be Sunday night's dinner.

Roast%20Chicken%20Breasts%20May%209th%2C

But I never got around to making it  so I roasted the chicken breasts yesterday morning

Roast%20Chicken%20Breasts%20May%209th%2C

and we had a roast chicken dinner with mashed potatoes, dressing and asparagus.  

My kind of breakfast. 

• Like 12

Scrambled eggs (I like them with distinct curd and soft). Mixed with tahini, lemon juice and red zchug (plus some more on top). Served on dense German rye (store bought). It's a great combination that compliments eggs well, nutty, herbal, spiced and hot. I usually mix tahini and zchug with hard boiled egg for an egg salad spread of sorts. This is a nice change.
Simple salad of really good cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Light tahini-lemon dressing and black pepper. Good vegetables don't need much more.

20160509_191826.jpg20160508_195213.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

Muesli with toasted oats, grated apple, home made yogurt, raising and dried apricot. Soaked overnight. A small touch of cinnamon and cocoa powder, plenty of diced apple and nectarine, toasted almonds and hazelnuts. 

20160512_100914.jpg20160512_100941.jpg

Hazelnuts are so tasty, I'm not sure why I don't use them more often.

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Aged cheddar and Major Grey's chutney on home-made caraway rye bread (thanks @Norm Matthews(see The Bread Topic). 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Poached duck egg, leftover corned beef, fresh salsa and toasted homemade Brothers Bread, recipe courtesy of Brother Rick Curry, The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking, HaperPerennial, 1995.

IMG_0731.JPG

I find when making this bread that I usually have good results if the mixer struggles a bit with the dough, at first. This time, however, while the bread turned out well, I suffered a bit of collateral damage. Oh, well, nothing Amazon Prime can't fix.

HC

IMG_0737.JPG

• Like 7